HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 5:46 PM
The City

^ Ahh, understood.

We hear so many random and silly complaints from NIMBYs that I didn't give you the benefit of the doubt. My apologies!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 7:21 PM

Curved glass has to be a parabola to actually focus the light. It should be easy for them to avoid that and still have a concave curve.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 8:00 PM

Yeah, this one looks to be only half a parabola that is angled slightly to the North also with a row of balconies breaking it up. It also is only convex on the North South axis and not on the up down axis so it might create a "line" of somewhat concentrated light, but not a beam like the Walkie Talkie.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 8:55 PM

Two State Street Developments

Additional details of 1130 N. State Street as well as the shorter 1200 N. State Street development. https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/4/11...e-barnes-noble

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 9:03 PM

Nimbys try to strike again

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...et-office-plan

Stupid west loop group thinks they are gonna stop this thor equties nice office tower citing traffic and height complaints. They have no chance as its on the plan commission for the 19th.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourstrooper View Post
They have no chance as its on the plan commission for the 19th.
Meeting's on the 18th, but yes, with Burnett's backing, this one's pretty much a done deal.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
1130 N. State

This meeting was a NIMBY bitch fest of ageism and classism. You should have heard the sneers and jeers when they heard the fact that the tower will be rental and expected to cater to the younger generation.

-1130 N. State

-State & Elm

-Newcastle Development

-DX (7) is current zoning and no change is being requested, but PD triggered because of height.

-39 + mechanical = 40 stories

-368 units

-168 parking

-.3 - .4 vehicles per unit

-10 units per floor

-435’
Wonder if this will get the aldermans blessing or not with all the complaints for both new gold coast towers.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Wonder if this will get the aldermans blessing or not with all the complaints for both new gold coast towers.
Well hopefully after May 20th that will no longer matter

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickeNES View Post
So even though I'm excited about the idea of a day one ban on aldermanic prerogative, via executive order, I'm still confused about how that would work in practice. Lightfoot recognizes that it's off the books, and is a little trickier to then get rid of. She says that banning the practice can be done "by hiring department heads and deputies who will be 'pledging allegiance to the new world order and good governance' and then train those people and their staffs — especially in agencies such as planning, zoning, buildings and housing where aldermen frequently deploy the practice. She then would direct Inspector General Joseph Ferguson to do spot audits to ensure compliance."

Is that really enough power to ban the practice, cause I can imagine city council ignoring the new heads and deputies anyway.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Ahh, understood.

We hear so many random and silly complaints from NIMBYs that I didn't give you the benefit of the doubt. My apologies!
It basically works the same way as a solar array with mirrors that focus the sun at a single point to generate extreme heat. It’s not “oh the glare hurts my eyes”, but rather “at a certain time of day, focused sunlight will melt steel”. Not good.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet48 View Post
^ That's gonna be Hangge Uppe hookup heaven for those 'younge professionals' haha

But seriously, some nice density in that area. I can definitely see the demand for a more luxury rental surrounded by those dated rentals and the very posh condo tower across the street.
Just so you know, there's only 1 census tract in the entire city of Chicago that's denser than the tract this proposal is in. That is a kind of outlier in I think Edgewater where the tract is only 1 high rise. The tract this is in which does extend down to Chicago Avenue, is around 105,000 people per square mile right now. Possibly more since that was circa June 2017.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...et-office-plan

Stupid west loop group thinks they are gonna stop this thor equties nice office tower citing traffic and height complaints. They have no chance as its on the plan commission for the 19th.
The funny thing is that one of the big West Loop Facebook groups had their de facto leader post the following just now about this:

"Can not wait until the day when Crains reports that XX% of West Loop Residents are in Favor of a Development, YY% are Against, and Z% Abstained — and that based on the Community’s Votes along with other factors, the Development is (insert decision here).

Until then, more of the same “Fallacy of Community Involvement” and unelected neighborhood groups pretending to represent us, as documented here by the Chicago Tribune"

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
So even though I'm excited about the idea of a day one ban on aldermanic prerogative, via executive order, I'm still confused about how that would work in practice. Lightfoot recognizes that it's off the books, and is a little trickier to then get rid of. She says that banning the practice can be done "by hiring department heads and deputies who will be 'pledging allegiance to the new world order and good governance' and then train those people and their staffs — especially in agencies such as planning, zoning, buildings and housing where aldermen frequently deploy the practice. She then would direct Inspector General Joseph Ferguson to do spot audits to ensure compliance."

Is that really enough power to ban the practice, cause I can imagine city council ignoring the new heads and deputies anyway.
The mayor has most of their power seated in control of administration and city council structural issues. She can control who the committee heads in city hall are and, if she installs chairpersons loyal to her, then she, not city council, controls what passes through those committees to a general floor vote. In other words, if she makes Alderman Michael Scott, one of the first people to endorse her, head of the Zoning Committee and tells him "follow only the recommendations of the zoning department" (who already issue their opinion on every zoning change btw, it just usually gets ignored if it doesn't line up with what the alderman wants) and he follows suit, then only zoning changes that line up with zoning department recommendations will see the light of day instead of only changes with a aldermanic support letter. If she stacks the zoning department with people committed to following the letter of the law (which actually says things like "zoning changes will be considered if they are consistent with nearby districts") then Scott will be handed a stack of recommendations from the zoning department each month. Scott will then get the committee (again stacked by Lightfoot) to approve the administration's recommendations and then those recommendations will be up for vote by the general city council the next month.

You see the gateway to aldermanic prerogative has always been the committee chairs. Look at who just went down in flames: Zoning Chair Solis, Finance Chair Burke. That's where the clout accumulates because it is the gateway to power in Chicago. If Lightfoot gets loyal reformers into those positions, the game is over. City council doesn't vote on each zoning change individually, they vote on the recommendation of the zoning committee. In other words, they vote on a whole batch of changes at once (or at least it's usually set up that way, I think PD's might get a special vote of their own like the 78 or LY did). Who determines what's in the batch? The zoning chair. Lightfoot can put city council in the position of holding up a whole bunch of changes they do want to see passed in order to try to stop one proposal some alderman doesn't want in his ward. A boycott like that would last maybe 3 or 4 months before the donors who got most of those aldermen elected so they could get their zoning change would drag them by the ear to get the changes that are being held up approved.

TLDR: the real fun starts when we see who Lightfoot gets on what committees.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 11:16 PM

Hartshorne Plunkard is proposing to re-develop its Headquarters site and the building next door to the west of it. They are proposing that the building and parking lot to the west of them would be a 12 story, 147 foot tall (138 to top of building) Hotel while their current building at 232 N Carpenter would become a 6 story office building. This is very close to Google along Fulton Market.

Current: https://www.google.com/maps/place/10...!4d-87.6539808

Crains story: https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...es-its-hq-site

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickeNES View Post
Would this give the community nimbys more power to complain if no aldermanic privelage im confused by it as well?

Last edited by Hourstrooper; Apr 12, 2019 at 12:06 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 11:21 PM

Old town Park

April 3

April 9

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Would this give the community nimbys more power to complain if no aldermanic privelage im confused by it as well?
Less because they can't strong arm their local alderman into making poor planning choices. The city planning department would ideally be given wide latitude to approve things that fit inside good planning parameters.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 1:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

politics moved to politics thread.

please continue there: https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...d.php?t=213683

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
Fun question for the board, if this picture was sent back in time to yourself in say 2002, which city would you think this was?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 7:26 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Fun question for the board, if this picture was sent back in time to yourself in say 2002, which city would you think this was?
I might recognize the Art Institute and that three-wing building on Michigan but it would be hard to be certain.
[/SIZE]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations