HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
That too, but my biggest gripe is the prefab faux brick panels. Compared to some of the projects that used real brick in the area, Nobu, Hoxton, and my favorite, 210 N Carpenter (to name a few) Hayden looks awful. The same goes for the Hyatt by McDonald's.
Well, it's a different architect so there is a chance however the drawings look very similar to the drawings of Hayden West Loop.

BUT if you zoom in on the drawings it says metal panels and glass so idk if that's referring to the window units or the whole facade

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvn View Post
Well, it's a different architect so there is a chance however the drawings look very similar to the drawings of Hayden West Loop.

BUT if you zoom in on the drawings it says metal panels and glass so idk if that's referring to the window units or the whole facade
Good catch on the different architect. I read somewhere at some point that the developers planned for "two identical buildings" Hayden I and II essentially. But as we know these things change all the time.

I too noticed the metal panels and glass on the drawings so that is promising. Now if it looks like 900 W Washington that would be terrific.

Edit: I haven't been by Hayden in a while but just found this article. The last picture gives us a good idea where the metal panels and glass come into play.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2019/01...ing-next-week/

Last edited by PittsburghPA; Jan 16, 2019 at 5:18 AM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
I hope the developer puts a little more TLC into this than Hayden West Loop.

I try my best to stay positive on here but Hayden is of my least favorite buildings in the area.

https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/...-public-debut/
Tbh, just put some friggin ivy on the base and it's already better. Blank red faux brick with minimal detailing and zero windows is just a smack in the face to entire neighborhood

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Despite that having a perfectly handsome 1937 Moderne façade, Hartshorne Plunkard has apparently chosen to wrap it in glass to tie into the tower design. I don't know where they're getting the depth to do that, as I feel sure the current building extends to the property line.
Assuming it looks like they will remove the existing brick facade based on the transparency of the rendering. They will likely gain 5-8" or more back to the structure. They may have a few more than that if the building is actually a few inches off the property line. The city also allows building elements to overhang the lot line above a certain height (typically 12') But the building owner may need to pay an annual fee (rent of sort) for that encroachment.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvn View Post
Not necessarily a coincidence. At least two former Booth Hansen architects are now at Lamar Johnson.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 4:28 PM

I had some fun messing around in FPS mode in my Chicago model. There's a quick glance at some proposals in there including OCS, 808 Wells and a few others.

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 6:40 PM

[QUOTE=rgarri4;8438608]I had some fun messing around in FPS mode in my Chicago model. There's a quick glance at some proposals in there including OCS, 808 Wells and a few others.

Nice work. I may have missed this earlier but wow your 3D model of Chicago video is sick. All the new and proposed monsters on display. Truly talented!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3541fu8RB0

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
https://blockclubchicago.org/2019/01...ing-next-week/

Tbh, just put some friggin ivy on the base and it's already better. Blank red faux brick with minimal detailing and zero windows is just a smack in the face to entire neighborhood
that base should have been rejected outright. horrific. how did nobody object to this, and what type of developer thinks this looks good/should be an acceptable way for their building to meet the urban fabric? it looks like a railroad embankment plopped down on the sidewalk. i still cant get over it.

Last edited by Via Chicago; Jan 16, 2019 at 6:58 PM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 7:22 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
Are we going to discuss those balconies? This thing looks like a remote for a VCR.
TBH, I quite enjoy the balconies on here. They create a nice 2nd layer on top of the glass facade and add some depth where it would otherwise be very flat and boring. It's a nice, crisp modern look, very graphical.

The balconies will be functionally tiny, but should be big enough to walk out and capture the view, smoke a cigarette, or even use a compact grill.

The base on the other hand is very confused. Pare it down, leave the Palmer Printing brick and marble in place and just do a tuckpoint. Then open up the brick at the ground floor only for some tasteful minimalist storefronts. Voila, better architecture at a lower cost. Maybe they could add some bling as well, with a tasteful LED light strip in the grooves and commission some artwork for the blank sections.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
that base should have been rejected outright. horrific. how did nobody object to this, and what type of developer thinks this looks good/should be an acceptable way for their building to meet the urban fabric? it looks like a railroad embankment plopped down on the sidewalk. i still cant get over it.
But it's a midrise, so it must be good at offering a nice pedestrian experience. Unlike high rises and tall buildings, which have no chance of providing a base that engages with the street

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 8:09 PM

It is going to look even BETTER after all the power washing and or layers of paint to cover the graffiti. What a horrible idea the builder should be lined up against that wall and shot.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 8:38 PM
The City

^ I literally want to put the developer of this building into a headlock

What a pitiful thing they did with the ground floor.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
It is going to look even BETTER after all the power washing and or layers of paint to cover the graffiti. What a horrible idea the builder should be lined up against that wall and shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I literally want to put the developer of this building into a headlock

What a pitiful thing they did with the ground floor.
This is one of the most hideous things I've seen recently. On a corner? That endless wall of brick? How did this ever get approved?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 1:51 AM

How do you even get in??

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
I had some fun messing around in FPS mode in my Chicago model. There's a quick glance at some proposals in there including OCS, 808 Wells and a few others.
Haha, loved that you shot some tennis balls at that horrid near-windowless apartment tower just in front of where OCS will be.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 3:55 PM
The City

Great article about the state of the multifamily construction market in Chicago, absorption downtown exceeded supply in 2018!

Also a mention about the harm being caused by the new Affordable Housing Ordinance in preventing more new construction from penciling out in areas near transit:

https://www.bisnow.com/chicago/news/...-horizon-96807

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Great article about the state of the multifamily construction market in Chicago, absorption downtown exceeded supply in 2018!

Also a mention about the harm being caused by the new Affordable Housing Ordinance in preventing more new construction from penciling out in areas near transit:

https://www.bisnow.com/chicago/news/...-horizon-96807
Thanks for posting, I have been looking for full year 2018 apartment absorption numbers. Great news for sure!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 11:59 PM

113 N May

Jan 16

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 12:15 AM

172 N Ada

Jan 16

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 12:25 AM

845 W Madison

Jan 16

pretty sure it's the old Harpo site - hard to keep track in the West Loop.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations