HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
The White Rose (2172 Gottingen Street) - These are 1 bedroom suites renting from $1'400 per month with a January 2021 start date (AMK Leasing).

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)
The commercial leasing brochures for this property and 2050 Gottingen are available on Partners Global website;

Flyer for 2172 Gottingen Street

Flyer for 2050 Gottingen Street

Source

Both commercial units are being advertised for restaurants. Both are listing the possibility of rooftop patios and 2050 also shows the possibility for a street-side terrace for summer use. Also noted is between the two buildings there will be 66 one bedroom residential units. Add the 68 units going up at The Velo Phase II and 20-25 units at 2172 Gottingen and that is up to 160 units (~320 people) of additional density directly on southern Gottingen Street in 2021.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 7:40 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Nice find. 2050 Gottingen has a somewhat more interesting design than I expected. I'm eager to see how it turns out.

Funny how those renderings have generic city surroundings and don't match the area. I think the "illustrative" rooftop patio 2172 Gottingen picture might be Seattle.

They contain a recent aerial photo of the neighbourhood. I stitched them together to take out the markers:

It has come a long way and still has a long way to go to get rid of all those ugly parking lots and the odd 70's car-oriented urban renewal stuff.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It has come a long way and still has a long way to go to get rid of all those ugly parking lots and the odd 70's car-oriented urban renewal stuff.
I don't see many parking lots at all. There is one run by HRM next to the destroyed Rainnie Drive which seems to be in an odd location but which apparently is fairly popular for downtown workers. A bit of a walk but it must be cheap. The other one I see is below Gottingen St and was originally conceived as an ill-advised shopper's parking lot back in the days when Gottingen was thought to be a commercial retail destination.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 5:53 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I don't see many parking lots at all. There is one run by HRM next to the destroyed Rainnie Drive which seems to be in an odd location but which apparently is fairly popular for downtown workers. A bit of a walk but it must be cheap. The other one I see is below Gottingen St and was originally conceived as an ill-advised shopper's parking lot back in the days when Gottingen was thought to be a commercial retail destination.
It might not be the end of the world to have parking lots here and there and it gives developers a small revenue stream while they wait to build, but it’s a lot of potential real estate. Even Brunswick place has a lot of hidden potential. If they put in an office building with underground parking on one of these lots it could also be used by shoppers when empty off working hours.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 9:38 PM

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 10:12 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Neat little infill project, I was wondering how it would turn out.

I’m curious about the choice of name... House of York?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 8:12 PM

Misc. views of the former Mill's:

And the new Queen Street intersection. Now, coming down Queen you need to stop and turn left to continue onto Queen. When you are going up Queen (from Spring Garden), you can now only turn right onto Sackville.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 3:41 AM

Thanks for the photos! I can't wait to see the plans for this site. I hope the street frontage is better than the Doyle's.

Good to see that they have replaced the awnings on the Bond Centre (ex-Cornwallis House). They are missing in the July 2019 Google Street View images and the building looked a bit barren without them.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 12:05 PM

That is a large, significant piece of real estate on SGR. The buildings tended to mask just how large that was. It will be interesting (to say the least) to see what is proposed.

I have not had the chance to venture through that intersection yet. One wonders if it is an improvement or just another case of HRM staff using the street network as a sandbox to play in.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
That is a large, significant piece of real estate on SGR. The buildings tended to mask just how large that was. It will be interesting (to say the least) to see what is proposed.

I have not had the chance to venture through that intersection yet. One wonders if it is an improvement or just another case of HRM staff using the street network as a sandbox to play in.
I don’t think anyone could make that intersection worse than it was.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 7:37 PM
Closed account

Quote:
There were elements of the lot that were nice, but nobody can argue it wasn't under-utilized. Hopefully it has a better street presence than the Doyle. My extra wish is that it gets broken up a little bit like the Vic on Hollis.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 7:46 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Some of the Mickey MacDonald interviews about this talk it up a fair amount with claims that this will be an architectural landmark, will have a $100M budget, an atrium component, etc. I still have little idea what it will look like but it could in principle be a big upgrade if it's designed well.

I also like the idea of breaking up the facade and an atrium could work well with that. It'll be interesting to see what kind of interior public space it provides and how the atrium design if that happens interacts with outside. In Halifax I think there's sometimes too hard of a distinction between outdoor and indoor spaces. It would be nice to have bright but sheltered spaces that are not climate controlled. Sort of along the lines of the Rogers covered street thing but less cave-like.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Some of the Mickey MacDonald interviews about this talk it up a fair amount with claims that this will be an architectural landmark, will have a $100M budget, an atrium component, etc. I still have little idea what it will look like but it could in principle be a big upgrade if it's designed well.

I also like the idea of breaking up the facade and an atrium could work well with that. It'll be interesting to see what kind of interior public space it provides and how the atrium design if that happens interacts with outside. In Halifax I think there's sometimes too hard of a distinction between outdoor and indoor spaces. It would be nice to have bright but sheltered spaces that are not climate controlled. Sort of along the lines of the Rogers covered street thing but less cave-like.
I hope so. I'm not sure Mickey and I have the same idea of what constitutes a "landmark" but if he's hired decent architects and is actually willing to put up the cash for a quality building, I'll remain optimistic.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 7:58 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I hope so. I'm not sure Mickey and I have the same idea of what constitutes a "landmark" but if he's hired decent architects and is actually willing to put up the cash for a quality building, I'll remain optimistic.
I believe Westwood is working on this too. So I wonder if it will look like all the other Westwood buildings, which are okay but don't stand out much architecturally, or will include some external architect and have more detail.

I have not seen it in person but I've been impressed by the pictures circulating of details on Queen's Marque, like the metal panels or Fresnel lens type decorations. I think details like that would work well on Spring Garden Road. I don't consider The Doyle a disaster but I think it has too little character and pedestrian interest. There's a bad trend in general toward new buildings being glassy shells. The commercial tenants do bring some interest too but it's not the same as permanent architectural landmarks.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 9:13 PM

The old Credit Union office building on Spring Garden is being converted into apartments and will be called The Muse.

http://themuseonspringgarden.com/

It doesn't look like any significant changes to the exterior aside from the entrance so they might not need to go to the DRC for approval. The website being up makes me think they are going to start anytime.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 9:24 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

A shot of the Gottingen Street area. I thought this looked pretty nice, and it shows off how much denser the neighbourhood looks with the new construction.

The Staples stands out in this one as being inappropriate for the location.

Source

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 10:27 PM

Untitled by Hali87, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 11:21 PM

Awesome pics tonight, thanks guys. North end is looking great. I've heard rumours for years now that Staples will be redeveloped. That whole neighbourhood could be really interesting - lots of free space around Centennial Pool, HRP HQ redevelopment, etc.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2020, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
Awesome pics tonight, thanks guys. North end is looking great. I've heard rumours for years now that Staples will be redeveloped. That whole neighbourhood could be really interesting - lots of free space around Centennial Pool, HRP HQ redevelopment, etc.
The staples property is owned by Southwest. Last I heard redevelopment here was behind Cunard and the motherhouse lands development in their pipeline. So probably a few years yet before we hear anything.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 12:08 AM
Somewhat Pretentious

Beautiful.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth