HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 2:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting CBC article:

Moncton wants province to rethink school site selection criteria
Call for change follows upset in west end over new K-8 school location
CBC News · Posted: Nov 17, 2020 4:31 PM AT | Last Updated: November 17
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...-end-1.5804688

This is absolutely an issue when it comes to locating new schools in the urban heart of the community. If we want to be serious about encouraging downtown densification, then we should be locating schools in the city core too. This may mean eliminating requirements for minimum lot size and sports fields in certain instances.

This is also an issue with regards to school replacements in older urban neighbourhoods. Elementary schools are fundamental to the character and cohesiveness of a neighbourhood, and if, when a school reaches the end of it's life, the replacement is build on the exurban fringe of the city instead, this in essence rips the guts right out of the former neighbourhood. This is absolutely not right!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 3:05 PM

Yeah, I agree 100%. The minimum suggested lot sizes for elementary schools are outrageous. I believe the guideline for the new school is 24 acres! That's insane.

My wife teaches at Connaught Street School in Fredericton. They have about 350 students and about five acres and that's fine. I think they even have a sports field. This school serves most of downtown Fredericton and a lot of kids walk to school. Ditch the sports field and build it two storeys and a school like this could easily fit on 2.5 acres or so.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 7:18 PM

A PC government isn't going to consider urban planning issues in governing. They made this clear from the start of the Higgs government and it was no different under Alward. Their base is rural and car-owning.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
A PC government isn't going to consider urban planning issues in governing. They made this clear from the start of the Higgs government and it was no different under Alward. Their base is rural and car-owning.
There's only 10 ridings that are 'urban' by any reasonable definition. The PCs hold 6 of them. The PC base has in recent years been Anglo suburbs and exurbs, but it's not like the other parties have a strong claim on representing urban NBers.

Fredericton N (PC) and S (G)
Moncton C (L) and S (PC)
Dieppe (L)
Riverview (PC)
Saint John Harbour, P-S, and MAYBE Lancaster (all PC)
Miramichi (PA)

The Liberal base from Madawaska around to Kent is more rural than the PC caucus- they only hold two urban seats!

The Greens hold one urban seat and two non-urban. The Alliance has a 50% urban/non-urban caucus.

From what I've heard, the site was chosen because the province owned the land, mostly. It's not in an ideal location but apparently the site was selected according to the same formula in use for years.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 4:32 AM

Proposal of 3 apartment buildings in Shediac

Each building will be 5 stories high and contain 89 units each for a total of 267 units. Might not happen since there are problems with the sewer capacity in the area. The Greater Shediac Sewerage commission said they would not approve these developments until it was resolved.

Could not find any renderings as of yet.

https://shediac.ca/images/EBAUCHEArr...vembre2020.pdf

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 4:42 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Thanks, and welcome to the forums!

There is a Shediac thread, but it has dropped off the bottom of the page. I will repost this there.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 11:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

from Huddle

TD Will Hire 100 People By January For New Insurance Centre In Dieppe
Nov 30, 2020 by Inda Intiar
https://huddle.today/td-will-hire-10...tre-in-dieppe/

Quote:
“It’s a brand new centre, unique to Moncton, and it’s going to involve hundreds of jobs,” he said. “A hundred is what we have in motion at the moment, and we have space for 135,” says Frank McKenna, TD Bank’s deputy chair and former premier of New Brunswick.

Remote work will allow the bank to hire “hundreds” more people from outside of Greater Moncton over time, including the Francophone region of Northern New Brunswick, McKenna added.

“It means that we don’t have to depend just on the Greater Moncton area for bilingual workers,” he said. “We can use the entire province as our recruiting area, and that increases the potential for us to add jobs.”

McKenna says the jobs are not part of the 1,015 the bank said it would create in 2018 with the opening of its campus at CF Champlain.
So, this will increase the TD footprint at CF Champlain to 1,150 employees. Good news!!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 8:35 PM

Quotes from a Govt. N.B. news release today:

"The provincial and federal governments are investing a total of $373,000 in Alive Kombucha to help establish a 465 sq. meter (5,000 sq. ft.) commercial Kombucha brewery in Moncton."

"The funding will support renovations to an existing building and the purchase of advanced manufacturing equipment."

“Here at Alive Kombucha we brew our kombucha using solar energy, so that we can provide you with a healthy drink that doesn't negatively affect our planet, said Louis Leith, company owner."

Link to story:
https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/n...0.12.0675.html

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 7:38 PM

They're putting the ice in the skating rink at the Avenir center today. I saw the Zamboni doing it's thing earlier.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 1:33 AM

People skating at the outdoor oval tonight. Nice.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 7:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Province to spend $6M on Rising Tide affordable housing plan in Moncton
Rising Tide plans to buy property and open 125 units over three years with provincial, municipal funding
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Dec 21, 2020 3:11 PM AT | Last Updated: 25 minutes ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...sing-1.5850099

This matches $6M in funding already pledged by the city of Moncton. They plan (mostly) to purchase current downtown housing stock, fix them up and rent them as subsidized housing - a good plan.

I wonder if that house next to the Ashford Living property at Gordon/Highfield could be considered for this?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 1:53 PM

With the Heritage designated, I'm guessing the City of Moncton wouldn't even touch that property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Province to spend $6M on Rising Tide affordable housing plan in Moncton
Rising Tide plans to buy property and open 125 units over three years with provincial, municipal funding
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Dec 21, 2020 3:11 PM AT | Last Updated: 25 minutes ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...sing-1.5850099

This matches $6M in funding already pledged by the city of Moncton. They plan (mostly) to purchase current downtown housing stock, fix them up and rent them as subsidized housing - a good plan.

I wonder if that house next to the Ashford Living property at Gordon/Highfield could be considered for this?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 2:28 PM

Yeah, the cost:benefit ratio to restore a Victorian nicely means it won't and shouldn't be part of this.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Yeah, the cost:benefit ratio to restore a Victorian nicely means it won't and shouldn't be part of this.
I'd be surprised if Ashford decides to sell the house to this group. I think they'll sit on it for a while and decide what to do with it some time down the road.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 1:28 PM

Centennial Park improvements announced.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...hoon-1.5851926

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 5:24 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

City of Moncton news release:

Quote:
January 7, 2021
City of Moncton building permits set new record for second year in a row
New level has been reached in four of the last five years

MONCTON, NB – The City of Moncton has again broken new ground when it comes to annual building activity, and this time did so during a global pandemic. The year that presented so many new challenges ended with $270.8 million in permits, up from $257.4 million in 2019. The trailing 10-year average rose by over ten million dollars to $202.3 million, reaching over $200 million for the first time. The annual range over the last decade spans from a low of $123 million in 2014, to this year’s record high.

The clear winner for 2020 was residential development, representing nearly half of the year’s permit activity at $133.6 million. This included 11 new apartment buildings with 728 units for a combined value of $90.8 million.
Institutional development was also strong in 2020 with $71.1 million in permits. The largest projects in this category include a new K-8 school on McLaughlin Drive valued at $34.1 million and a new addition at the Moncton Hospital worth $25.4 million.

Commercial activity came in at $57.8 million for the year, down from a robust $140.7 million in 2019. The largest drivers of these results include a $9.2 million Brandt dealership on Urquart, a $5.5 million Jessome Tools facility on Desbrisay, a $4.3 million Kelcold warehouse on Frenette and a $3.3 million MACC warehouse on Price.

“To have this level of growth during a rapidly evolving global health event is nothing short of remarkable,” explained Mayor Dawn Arnold. “This part of our country continues to prove itself to be a haven with good balance and a stable outlook.”

Development within the downtown area continued to capture a good piece of the action. Building permits in the Downtown totaled $48.8 million in 2020 including 248 new apartment units across 4 buildings (included above) within the area of Gordon/Weldon/Cameron Streets. These four projects alone accounted for $37.2 million of permits in the Downtown.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 3:27 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

found on Mayor Dawn Arnold's FB page:

I know there are forum rules against posting news content from official sources in their entirety, but since this was found on the mayor of Moncton's FB page, I will take the liberty of posting it here. I would not have if I had lifted this screen capture from the official T&T website.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Interesting CBC article:

Moncton wants province to rethink school site selection criteria
Call for change follows upset in west end over new K-8 school location
CBC News · Posted: Nov 17, 2020 4:31 PM AT | Last Updated: November 17
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...-end-1.5804688

This is absolutely an issue when it comes to locating new schools in the urban heart of the community. If we want to be serious about encouraging downtown densification, then we should be locating schools in the city core too. This may mean eliminating requirements for minimum lot size and sports fields in certain instances.

This is also an issue with regards to school replacements in older urban neighbourhoods. Elementary schools are fundamental to the character and cohesiveness of a neighbourhood, and if, when a school reaches the end of it's life, the replacement is build on the exurban fringe of the city instead, this in essence rips the guts right out of the former neighbourhood. This is absolutely not right!
I've been thinking about this lately. It seems likely the the replacement school for Forest Glen, Sunny Brae and Mountain View could follow a similar path and be built next to MHS. Not much land available in the current neighbourhoods and plenty of land out there.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 5:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

If the province already owns surplus land adjacent to the current MHS, I could see them doing this. It would be akin to what they are already planning for the Bessborough/Hillcrest replacement next to McNaughton High.

I would strongly object to this however. I think it is extremely important to have new K-8 schools constructed close to the neighbourhoods that they serve. This is especially important in any attempts to limit sprawl. Why not build it in the vision lands, unless they are worried about having too many schools in the neighbourhood (what with the new K-8 francophone school already under construction and the existing francophone high school next door).

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 2:49 AM

Quote:

If the province already owns surplus land adjacent to the current MHS, I could see them doing this. It would be akin to what they are already planning for the Bessborough/Hillcrest replacement next to McNaughton High.

I would strongly object to this however. I think it is extremely important to have new K-8 schools constructed close to the neighbourhoods that they serve. This is especially important in any attempts to limit sprawl. Why not build it in the vision lands, unless they are worried about having too many schools in the neighbourhood (what with the new K-8 francophone school already under construction and the existing francophone high school next door).
If the French want something they get it in a prime location, if the English want something they have to wait and it’s not big enough and in a terrible location. The Province must buy the English schools on Wish.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces