HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 3:03 PM
BANNED

I’m sorry if it’s been reported already, but 318 N broke ground on Friday. A nice steel and brick office bldg by Sterling and Walsh.

What a time to be alive

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
I’m sorry if it’s been reported already, but 318 N broke ground on Friday. A nice steel and brick office bldg by Sterling and Walsh.

What a time to be alive
318 N what?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
318 N what?
318 N Carpenter

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 2:07 AM

Oooo, I like that. If they use real steel and brick it'll be another great addition to the West Loop

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 6:31 PM
The City

Cedar St turning over tenants in Bridgeview Bank building in Uptown as a move toward increasing rents:

https://blockclubchicago.org/2019/09...ng-pushed-out/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 6:56 PM

Increasing rents? It doesn't say whether it will remain commercial tenants. Sounds like it will be redeveloped and given Cedar St projects, my bet would be redeveloped into apartments.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 7:37 PM
The City

Big plans underway for AIC, although few details:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...sru-story.html

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 8:19 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Big plans underway for AIC, although few details:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...sru-story.html

I hope that whatever it involves it will include a decking over the IC tracks.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 8:28 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

More of Fulton Market available for non-industrial development?

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...ew-development

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 8:32 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
I hope that whatever it involves it will include a decking over the IC tracks.
There is actually potential here for making the passing of trains underneath part of some sort of kinetic art feature. Think glass floor, special lighting, etc etc. The railbed/ ballast could be some sort of special material or art piece that can only be seen from 30 feet above. ??? Could be really cool.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 10:20 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
There is actually potential here for making the passing of trains underneath part of some sort of kinetic art feature. Think glass floor, special lighting, etc etc. The railbed/ ballast could be some sort of special material or art piece that can only be seen from 30 feet above. ??? Could be really cool.
I've thought along similar lines and it would indeed be neat to somehow leave some transparent viewing of a below grade rail line from a deck.

Most important tidbit I took from the article, "Among the other notions they mentioned: That people in Grant Park should be able to look west and immediately know the big complex they see is the Art Institute; that they originally didn’t see much room on the campus to think about new buildings, but that has changed with familiarity; and that more building over the tracks is not likely."

So while they say not likely they don't rule it out. Still, hopefully, they make some sort of deck of the tracks a priority even if they don't add a new wing over the tracks. Giving the Ferguson wing (NE wing facing the IC tracks) a heavy facelift very much sounds like it is in order but you wouldn't give a facelift to a building and not improve the access to the new and improved facelift I'd figure........

Taking a look at Barozzi/Veiga's porfotlio I really like what they did with their school in Zurich, Switerzland. Simple but elegant.

https://barozziveiga.com/projects/tanzhaus

Tanzhaus Zürich, Zürich

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 2:37 PM

im probably in the minority but i feel the AIC campus is fine as-is. personally i think theres better ways to spend endowment money and connect with communities at this stage than hiring yet another expensive architect to fix a manufactured "problem". but i guess we'll see what they come back with.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
im probably in the minority but i feel the AIC campus is fine as-is. personally i think theres better ways to spend endowment money and connect with communities at this stage than hiring yet another expensive architect to fix a manufactured "problem". but i guess we'll see what they come back with.
I agree, it's a great museum as is. I guess I don't really care as it's their endowment, but it does seem like a waste of resources.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 3:03 PM

like your tuition is 50k per year (not including room/board). for art school. maybe examine that f'd up and predatory aspect of your institution first?

maybe examine the fact that vast swaths of the city has never stepped foot inside your museum or know anything about art, and the fact that it has nothing to do with how your buildings face grant park?

maybe examine the fact your collection leans incredibly towards white euro-centric ideas about what art is/isnt?

those would be better uses of resources.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 3:21 PM

Quote:
like your tuition is 50k per year (not including room/board). for art school. maybe examine that f'd up and predatory aspect of your institution first?

maybe examine the fact that vast swaths of the city has never stepped foot inside your museum or know anything about art, and the fact that it has nothing to do with how your buildings face grant park?

maybe examine the fact your collection leans incredibly towards white euro-centric ideas about what art is/isnt?

Totally agree. Spend money connecting the museum with the neighborhoods and make Chicago a cultural art hub from in the inside out. Discover local artists and give them platforms in their neighborhoods in and around the city. Sponsor artists from other cities and countries to come work and live here. Create stronger partnerships with the city and local chambers of commerce to become patrons of art. If Chicago were to become an "art" city, it would do a great deal for the AIC in the long run...

Sorry to take the thread more off topic.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
Really wish I had some idea of what's going in there on the ground floor. Besides the Starbucks there have been stories that it would feature a food hall and later a brewpub. The silence and the excruciatingly slow pace of construction is just aggravating my curiosity.
Not happening. https://chicago.eater.com/2018/6/19/...ewpub-broadway

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 6:07 PM

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
I've thought along similar lines and it would indeed be neat to somehow leave some transparent viewing of a below grade rail line from a deck.

Most important tidbit I took from the article, "Among the other notions they mentioned: That people in Grant Park should be able to look west and immediately know the big complex they see is the Art Institute; that they originally didn’t see much room on the campus to think about new buildings, but that has changed with familiarity; and that more building over the tracks is not likely."

So while they say not likely they don't rule it out. Still, hopefully, they make some sort of deck of the tracks a priority even if they don't add a new wing over the tracks. Giving the Ferguson wing (NE wing facing the IC tracks) a heavy facelift very much sounds like it is in order but you wouldn't give a facelift to a building and not improve the access to the new and improved facelift I'd figure........

Taking a look at Barozzi/Veiga's porfotlio I really like what they did with their school in Zurich, Switerzland. Simple but elegant.

https://barozziveiga.com/projects/tanzhaus

Tanzhaus Zürich, Zürich
What does it say they are trying to do? I don't have access to the article.

Didn't they spend around $500 million a few years back for some dumb modern splatter painting, that a kid could of done. Imagine if they had used that money to sponsor local artists, or offer art classes in the community, or even make their school affordable. Instead of give it to some overpriced BS Artist. I'd like to be able to take some painting classes at the SAIC without taking out a mortgage.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 6:54 PM

Quote:

That's a perilous situation to address given how those kind of works were originally obtained (legacy of colonialism) and competition from institutions in those nations which want to replace (via claims for restitution and repatriation) what was taken. The British Museum is deeply embroiled in such issues (example, how the British Museum is loaning items originally taken from Nigeria to a new museum Nigeria is building...and the British Museum expects the items to be returned after the loan).

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 7:07 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Didn't they spend around $500 million a few years back for some dumb modern splatter painting, that a kid could of done. Imagine if they had used that money to sponsor local artists, or offer art classes in the community, or even make their school affordable. Instead of give it to some overpriced BS Artist. I'd like to be able to take some painting classes at the SAIC without taking out a mortgage.
^ Is this a serious post?

Great art museums are great because they have great art. Not because they offer random people painting classes

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development