HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 10:26 PM

There is no doubt that Uptown has improved and continues to improve. Cappleman is probably part of the reason.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 10:53 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Revcon is in the ground at Ashland and Ogden on the park!
What project is this?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 4:12 AM

905 W Fulton Market

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 10:57 PM

Great pic PittsburghPA!

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 12:32 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
905 W Fulton Market
Look at all that beautiful old brick!!
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 3:36 AM

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...503-story.html

Architecture critic's take on proposed One Central complex near Soldier Field: A mix of audacious and dubious

Blair KaminBlair KaminContact ReporterChicago Tribune

Quote:
It is, perhaps, too soon for an architecture critic to assess Chicago’s latest megadevelopment plan, which calls for building a massive row of skyscrapers on a platform over the train tracks near Soldier Field.

The renderings are obviously preliminary. The developer’s pitch is more fiscal than architectural. Yet a plan of this scope simply cannot pass by without comment.

The overall cost of the project, called One Central, is staggering — more than $20 billion, three times the just-approved Lincoln Yards megadeal. It would have up to 20 million square feet of new office, apartment and hotel high-rises — the equivalent of nearly five Willis Towers.

Its transit center, which would serve Amtrak, Metra and CTA trains as well as buses linking lakefront attractions, is grandly pitched as “America’s transit hub.” And its developer is promising that the project will produce a long-term boost of $57 billion in new state tax revenue, a sum that surely would help financially struggling Illinois meet its pension obligations.

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 6:14 AM

I apologize if this is not the correct place to post this...

I found myself at a condo building on Kingsbury today and on every ledge (private apartments, public spaces, etc) were these steel brackets and I hook things...

I can't think of what they could be used for other than anchoring a dirigible ESB style.

Anyone know?

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:

I found myself at a condo building on Kingsbury today and on every ledge (private apartments, public spaces, etc) were these steel brackets and I hook things...

I can't think of what they could be used for other than anchoring a dirigible ESB style.

Anyone know?

Over engineered window washing ? Looks like a horrible waste of space.

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...503-story.html

Architecture critic's take on proposed One Central complex near Soldier Field: A mix of audacious and dubious

Blair KaminBlair KaminContact ReporterChicago Tribune
This is one location where high rise/skyscraper development like this is aesthetically lacking. From the prelims it looks completely overbearing to the Soldier Field campus and lakefront. Stay tuned, I guess.

Last edited by bhawk66; May 6, 2019 at 4:42 AM.

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 1:30 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:

Anyone know?
That's got to be for the window washing plank and hoist. I can't think of any other reason for something like that.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 2:00 PM

That makes a lot of sense Busy Bee. That was driving me insane trying to think out what they were for. Thanks!

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 4:25 AM

We did a short trip to Chicago this weekend, and...when did the sidewalks on Lake around Damen get so nice? Is it basically for the new station they're going to build?

Also - truly amazed everytime I'm back how much more of a scene West Loop becomes. Some streets just feel completely different than even 2 years ago there, and there's still way more coming. Even where PQM is - just feels way different now versus just a few years ago. Crazy to think about and to think about what it's like now versus just 5 years ago and what it might be in a year or two.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockerzzz View Post
[B]

Does anyone think East Garfield Park will a good investment in 10-20 years? Is the neighborhood changing?
I think everyone believes that East Garfield Park is on the short list of places that might be soon getting more attention and investment. It's got transit access, some great building stock and adjacency to booming neighborhoods.

On the other hand there's not much history in Chicago of majority black neighborhoods receiving much developer attention and investment, so who knows if that will change in the coming years?

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 4:12 PM

^^
Depends.. whose ward is it?

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose Island Guru View Post
^^
Depends.. whose ward is it?
Burnett's ward. One of the main reasons, he tells the West Loop complainers to take a hike is because East Garfield is full of black homeowners who would love some more gentrification headed their way. They're a very entrepreneurial bunch when given the opportunity.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 5:38 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyfox View Post
Burnett's ward. One of the main reasons, he tells the West Loop complainers to take a hike is because East Garfield is full of black homeowners who would love some more gentrification headed their way. They're a very entrepreneurial bunch when given the opportunity.
Really? That's interesting (and reassuring)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Really? That's interesting (and reassuring)
At its core, Gentrification is a homeowner vs renter debate, not a racial debate. Many African-Americans bought East Garfield Park properties at the height of the boom in the aughts and are still underwater on their mortgages. They want their home values to go up and nice restaurants and more diversity. The renters disagree, but in Garfield Park they're not particularly active voters.

Not to mention, Burnett also represents the residents of Cabrini-Greene who give not one iota about West Side development.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 8:52 PM

Renters want low rents, which depends on large supply and new construction.
First time home buyers want lower prices, which depends also on large supply.
Long time home buyers who want to cash out want the opposite, restricted supply. But that then puts them on the hook for higher property taxes.

It's all about balance. Homeowners don't want to be forced out of their homes by either development or property taxes, renters want a place to live that they can afford.
Everyone is best served by building dense on all the available open land the city has.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 9:25 PM

More insight into this situation:

"... housing prices in the top cities in 1980 were 25 percent higher than other cities in 1980; by 2016, they were more almost three times as high.

It might not seem surprising that housing is more expensive when everyone wants to move to a city. This simply reflects the basic law of supply and demand. However, housing is much more expensive than it has to be in prosperous cities because of a mechanism interfering with the unfettered operation of the housing market: zoning regulations. Throughout the United States, local regulations restrict the use of land in ways that make it impossible to provide the supply of housing that is required to meet its demand. This means that as areas grow, more and more workers are bidding for a limited set of places to live reasonably close to the cities where the good jobs are located.

The United States is relatively unique in having land use under local control, as opposed to national land-planning agencies in places like the UK and France. The problem this raises is that existing owners have an incentive to restrict housing supply, both to increase the local amenities (such as by having height restrictions on buildings to make the skyline more appealing) and to keep house prices high."

Via Simon Johnson on Linkedin

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 11:27 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockerzzz View Post
Does anyone think East Garfield Park will a good investment in 10-20 years? Is the neighborhood changing?
Technically EGP only extends east to Rockwell. This area with the new station is officially "Near West Side" but since that also includes the boujee parts of West Loop, I've also heard this area called "West Haven" which was originally an attempt to re-brand after the destruction of Henry Horner Homes. Most residents just say they live on the West Side, lol.

My girlfriend lives over here... galleyfox is correct that this area has a relatively strong black middle class of homeowners and a lot of well-maintained properties. A lot of the vacant lots actually got developed before the recession, so it feels a lot more complete than other parts of the West Side although plenty of vacant lots still remain.

I would compare it to The Gap area of Bronzeville. Historically this part of the West Side was the home of the Black Panthers in Chicago, including the site of their community outreach programs and (sadly) the building where Fred Hampton was slain.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development