Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 6:04 PM
The City

Cities whose skylines make you cry

https://www.askideas.com/black-man-c...funny-picture/

Which skyline makes you make this face?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 6:16 PM

San Jose, California.
And it's not technically a skyline but the officescape of silicon valley from redwood city to milpitas also makes me cry.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 6:36 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisouthside View Post
San Jose, California.
And it's not technically a skyline but the officescape of silicon valley from redwood city to milpitas also makes me cry.
It's heights are limited by its proximity to its airport. That may be changing soon but not substantially.

https://www.spur.org/news/2019-03-27...yline-san-jose

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 6:42 PM

oh yeah I know that, but as a transplant that took a liking to San Jose i hated that it was so puny compared to the SF skyline.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 7:48 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Not a hater by any means but Phoenix, Tucson's and Salt Lake City's skylines -- mainly because it gives the appearance of a much smaller city than they really are when compared to other city skyline's of similar metro or urban area population sizes.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 8:10 PM

This might be sacrilegious to say around here but... I'm not that obsessed with skylines as a measure of a city. There are a few that are beautiful, but some of my favorite urban experiences in the world barely have any skyscrapers (Istanbul, Berlin). And some cities have large skylines that overcompensate for a subpar urban experience (I won't name them, but you know who you are).

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanguy View Post
Not a hater by any means but Phoenix, Tucson's and Salt Lake City's skylines -- mainly because it gives the appearance of a much smaller city than they really are when compared to other city skyline's of similar metro or urban area population sizes.
Those were the first three I thought of. I would also add Jacksonville.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 8:43 PM

Memphis lets me down. They have a solid set of old buildings and a decent trolly system yet it lacks anything new(relatively). If Memphis had Nashville level growth the downtown would be one of the best in the country for its population. Its base is awesome, it just needs some POP.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 9:38 PM

Vegas. Hot wind blew dust in my eyes

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 10:01 PM

I opened this thread thinking it meant tears of joy. Which would be weird.

No skylines “make me cry”. Paris would be the most perfectly formed urban landscape in the world without a single building over 8 stories tall (in fact possibly improved for it).

It’s new cities full of cheap painted concrete and autocentric development which, while they don’t make me cry, make me dismayed about the generally low standards that people today have with respect to just about everything. And it’s only going to get worse as humans continue to overbreed.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I opened this thread thinking it meant tears of joy. Which would be weird.

No skylines “make me cry”. Paris would be the most perfectly formed urban landscape in the world without a single building over 8 stories tall (in fact possibly improved for it).

It’s new cities full of cheap painted concrete and autocentric development which, while they don’t make me cry, make me dismayed about the generally low standards that people today have with respect to just about everything. And it’s only going to get worse as humans continue to overbreed.
Precisely, there are too many people like yourself in Paris.
I have respect for you, your oh-so-precious Englishness/Frenchness (even though you probably can't speak Fr), your points, the things you know about and everything, but what the heck?

Building taller is just better at the moment. Do you realize that we'd never have invented any 2-story home by following that kind of maniac point?
It makes me think of French cashiers complaining because of robots that work 24/7 to replace them.
But hey, human cashiers actually have (currently wasted) brains and can do much better things. I know it's sometimes hard to believe, still, it is true.
It's only all about psychological conditioning.

Speaking of which, following your kind of logic, Gutenberg would've been crucified for having developed printing press - which is yet obviously a greatest blessing in human history - because back then, medieval copistes (English: 'amanuensis'?) would find themselves unemployed. Fired!
We probably wouldn't have invented any wheel yet... Jesus Christ, won't you ever bow to evolution sometime? Cause it's good for us all, right?

And "human overbreeding" is mostly due to people who never heard of contraception in poor countries. Hell, they can't even afford any birth control pill.
So now you know what to do of your charity.

Paris' skyline makes me cry because it is wayyyy underwhelming, far below our city's actual wealth.
Skyscrapers are going to allow us to manage more gardens and greenery at street/ground level; just everything we need over here.
It's quite simple. You pile up people in taller buildings, the richer going to the most comfortable penthouses, that's also what is disturbing to many for now, then you get more free room at ground level.
That we badly need over here. It is hotter and hotter in the summer, so we need more trees for people to find shelters in the streets, so that they don't die from heat under the crushing sun. Just like in Spain. The Spaniards have known for long about this.

43.6°C/110.5°F in Saint-Maur-des-Fossés, Val-de-Marne in late July; highest record ever over the Paris region just a month ago, in late July.
My home is in Maisons-Alfort neighboring Saint-Maur, so it must've been just as hot over here.
Thankfully, I was off and away. Temperatures like that are unbearable locally, in this dense environment. Our place wasn't designed for unbreathable summers.
A/C won't be enough to face it. We need much much more greenery, hence skyscrapers to plant more trees in street-level gardens.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2019, 12:31 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Paris' skyline makes me cry because it is wayyyy underwhelming, far below our city's actual wealth.
Skyscrapers are going to allow us to manage more gardens and greenery at street/ground level; just everything we need over here.
It's quite simple. You pile up people in taller buildings, the richer going to the most comfortable penthouses, that's also what is disturbing to many for now, then you get more free room at ground level.
That we badly need over here. It is hotter and hotter in the summer, so we need more trees for people to find shelters in the streets, so that they don't die from heat under the crushing sun. Just like in Spain. The Spaniards have known for long about this.
Isn't that what Le Corbusier planned for Paris back 60 or 70 years ago? It might sound more efficient in theory but it just doesn't result in environments that humans find enjoyable.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2019, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Isn't that what Le Corbusier planned for Paris back 60 or 70 years ago? It might sound more efficient in theory but it just doesn't result in environments that humans find enjoyable.
Not exactly in my mind. Le Corbusier should've only been a furniture designer and interior architect. He would've been the greatest ever at these games proper.

But as an urban planner, like at planning a whole damn city, he was only a pathetic 'fascist' (whatever that means).
Or a Sim City player, if you will. He was just a megalomaniac at city planning.
Forget about his visions in that matter.

Contemporary planning involves a lot of people with different interests.
Not just Le Corbusier. Thank God.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 10:38 PM

St. Louis' skyline. Seeing that stupid arch has made me cringe ever since I've been aware of what it replaced.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 3:26 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
St. Louis' skyline. Seeing that stupid arch has made me cringe ever since I've been aware of what it replaced.
Though I don't think those buildings (mostly in the 3-6 floor range) would make much of an impact on the skyline if they were still around.

Yeah, the canonical Arch shot from the east side is pretty underwhelming and the topography doesn't cooperate from that vantage point. The downtown skyline looks fuller from pretty much every other angle. It definitely lacks height; a shiny new tallest or two would do wonders if strategically placed. Thankfully Ballpark Village is helping to balance the skyline a bit more by filling in a major hole on the south side. Given the success of the first residential high rise and the first office building it's highly likely we'll see more.

source

source

Personally I think the urban skyline from the southwest is quite pleasant:

P.S. I think Jacksonville has an attractive skyline. Nice shape and it looks good against the water.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 1:27 AM
BANNED

Cleveland was a disappointment for me.

Boston is a surprise answer. I think Boston has one of the most picturesque skylines out there. Multiple water angles from either the Harbor or the Charles River.

I can't make up my mind if I like the The Financial District, Boston Harbor vantage point or Back Bay / High Spine, Charles River view better.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 1:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Cleveland was a disappointment for me.

Boston is a surprise answer. I think Boston has one of the most picturesque skylines out there. Multiple water angles from either the Harbor or the Charles River.

I can't make up my mind if I like the The Financial District, Boston Harbor vantage point or Back Bay / High Spine, Charles River view better.
Very few towers of architectural significance (not just that, the towers they have are downright ugly) and very few towers for a city/metro of its size, stature and importance, period.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 1:47 AM
BANNED

Since we are talking about skylines, no mention of Washington + Baltimore?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 2:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Since we are talking about skylines, no mention of Washington + Baltimore?
D.C. is just D.C. it gets a pass, and isn't supposed to be part of any skyline discussion.

Have you been to Baltimore within the last year? I have, and was surprised at its most recent construction. With those additions, skyline-wise it's not bad at all for a city its size.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 2:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
D.C. is just D.C. it gets a pass, and isn't supposed to be part of any skyline discussion.

Have you been to Baltimore within the last year? I have, and was surprised at its most recent construction. With those additions, skyline-wise it's not bad at all for a city its size.
So in your opinion, Baltimore > Boston?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions