HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 6, 2022, 5:12 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Yes, I don't get this about the U.S. We have real urbanity rotting away all over the place, and they build imitation urbanity in a sea of parking lots. Even in booming Central FL, I bet you there are empty main streets not far from the Villages, just waiting for a developer with vision, but nope, they had to build a Disney version in the swamps.
what don't you get?

these people distain democracy and don't like melanin.

unless its working on the landscaping and goes away at the end of the day.

it's no wonder they support this live in disneyworld.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2022, 7:47 PM

This looks like something out of nouveau-China. Literally my worst middle class Americana nightmare.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 1:56 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

Not really seeing a problem with the physical place, per se. My parents would probably love to live somewhere where they can roll around in a golf cart to the world of beer.

It's just this particular community is known to be a hotbed of complete nutcases.

Last edited by llamaorama; Apr 7, 2022 at 2:42 AM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
Not really seeing a problem with the place, per se. My parents would probably love to live somewhere and roll around in a golf cart to the world of beer.

It's just this particular community is known to be a hotbed of complete nutcases.
It definitely is. There are many similar developments around the country (e.g., the Sun City developments). I know of the ones in Florida, Texas, and Arizona, and they're similar to The Villages in the tendency to attract nutcases. I think The Villages is the largest, though. That may be why it has gotten so much attention regarding the sheer number of nutcases.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 2:21 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
i keep passing through here on visits to see my folks in broward county. reminds me i need to watch this

Video Link
Okay Laura is awesome. I wanna party with her.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Okay Laura is awesome. I wanna party with her.
She does seem like she would be a lot of fun to know.

On my very first trip there in 2002, I met a lady who had a similar personality, on the shuttle from the Orlando airport up to The Villages. We had a blast talking on the bus (I think the other passengers weren't happy about it). So the next day I was in a restaurant in The Villages with my elderly guy friend, sitting in a booth, and the lady from the bus spots me and comes and sits on my side of the booth, and puts her arms around me and says she wants to dance. My friend didn't know what was going on. It was so funny. The poor lady lived there but wanted out so bad. I hope she made it out.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I goodie! A "hate old people and everything they like because so many of them are more conservative than thou" thread! Just what SSP has always needed. 10023 can be a charter member.

There's a point in life, though, at which you stop being outraged about everything.
Tell that to the people in The Villages who are outraged by everything. Check out the videos from 2020 there where they were having parades and arguing in the street with fellow residents. I think the outrage continues in perpetuity for a certain demographic...and The Villages definitely fit that bill.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamcityleo79 View Post
Tell that to the people in The Villages who are outraged by everything. Check out the videos from 2020 there where they were having parades and arguing in the street with fellow residents. I think the outrage continues in perpetuity for a certain demographic...and The Villages definitely fit that bill.
Don't forget about the White Power video!
Video Link

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Barf!
I've never heard anything good about this place. At all.

What is the point of living around a bunch of retired people anyway? I'll never get it and never plan on doing the same.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
Don't forget about the White Power video!
Video Link
Bingo! That's the one!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 10:44 PM
They all float down here

Before this thread gets locked (sorry haunted) I just want to say that it's hilarious to me that anyone would talk about outrage when TFG built his entire political career on being outraged over everything.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
I've never heard anything good about this place. At all.

What is the point of living around a bunch of retired people anyway? I'll never get it and never plan on doing the same.
A lot of retired people are a lot of fun, and progressive, at least around here. But there aren't many like that in The Villages. I know that from being there so many times. There are a few here and there.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Bingo! That's the one!
This person I used to go see in The Villages said something hilarious to me one time during a visit (the video reminded me of this). We had been to Staples on the main highway through The Villages, and on the way back to his house we got lost. We ended up in a Black neighborhood adjacent to The Villages. His reaction was "I didn't know there was anything like this so close. These people must be the help". He was very disturbed that this could exist within a mile of his home. When Obama was elected, he went on and on about "how could we elect a Black man in this country?" I'm still getting political emails daily. They're usually conspiracy stuff and Tucker Carlson quotes. Most go right in the trash bin.

Another funny story was regarding Sarah Palin. My friend was raised to believe women are subserviant to men. But after Sarah Palin visited The Villages in 2008 during the campaign, he said "you know, Palin is a very intelligent woman". I couldn't believe my ears, in more ways than one.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
This person I used to go see in The Villages said something hilarious to me one time during a visit (the video reminded me of this). We had been to Staples on the main highway through The Villages, and on the way back to his house we got lost. We ended up in a Black neighborhood adjacent to The Villages. His reaction was "I didn't know there was anything like this so close. These people must be the help". He was very disturbed that this could exist within a mile of his home. When Obama was elected, he went on and on about "how could we elect a Black man in this country?" I'm still getting political emails daily. They're usually conspiracy stuff and Tucker Carlson quotes. Most go right in the trash bin.

Another funny story was regarding Sarah Palin. My friend was raised to believe women are subserviant to men. But after Sarah Palin visited The Villages in 2008 during the campaign, he said "you know, Palin is a very intelligent woman". I couldn't believe my ears, in more ways than one.
That tracks with my experience with white boomers on that side of the aisle (mostly from my family in the Midwest). This kind of community, almost completely lacking in any kind of diversity, can actually be dangerous to society because these crazy, antiquated, and most often times false, ideas can fester and spread unchallenged.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 2:00 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
That tracks with my experience with white boomers on that side of the aisle (mostly from my family in the Midwest). This kind of community, almost completely lacking in any kind of diversity, can actually be dangerous to society because these crazy, antiquated, and most often times false, ideas can fester and spread unchallenged.
My husband is Black and you better believe the Villagers noticed it wherever we went. I was on edge, and honestly expected at any minute whenever we were out eating, to hear some little old lady at the next table quaver to her husband, "Look at that Negro harassing those nice white people, Harold! It must be that CRT Tucker was talking about -- call the police!"
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
My husband is Black and you better believe the Villagers noticed it wherever we went. I was on edge, and honestly expected at any minute whenever we were out eating, to hear some little old lady at the next table quaver to her husband, "Look at that Negro harassing those nice white people, Harold! It must be that CRT Tucker was talking about -- call the police!"
That's terrible; but, thank you for sharing your experience. It's important to note the huge contrast between how nice a lot of these places look (to some) and the terrible, sometimes hostile, experience people who are different in any way have in these places.

I loved the pictures, by the way.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 2:24 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Ok ok. I’ve seen this movie before. You hate Florida, old people, conservatives, happy people, master planned communities, life, I recall you going to Florida before and being fearful?! Lol

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 2:47 AM

It is time for all Black, Latino, Asian and East Asian elders to retire to "The Villages".
Is there room for the LGBTQ community there too please? I have been wondering how I would spend my "December Years".

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 4:21 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
Ok ok. I’ve seen this movie before. You hate Florida, old people, conservatives, happy people, master planned communities, life, I recall you going to Florida before and being fearful?! Lol
HHNC tell your husband not to fear! SLO has officially deemed that racism is non-existent and any perceived instance of it is, in actuality, nothing more than reverse racism! Why does your husband hate white people so much?

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 3:06 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
HHNC tell your husband not to fear! SLO has officially deemed that racism is non-existent and any perceived instance of it is, in actuality, nothing more than reverse racism! Why does your husband hate white people so much?
Yeah. No sense living in fear. Florida is pretty accepting, but I think HH is the fearful one. I know that last Florida trip he wrote a diatribe on was his fear of the sunshine state lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos