HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos

Old Posted May 26, 2008, 10:31 PM

Old Pics Of Hamilton

Post your old Hamilton pics here. I'll start off with some.

Old Posted May 26, 2008, 11:15 PM

Those are amazing. Thanks for posting. Now we can see what was once where Jackson Square, AGH, Hamilton Place, etc are.

Old Posted May 26, 2008, 11:48 PM

one question

why does every hamiltonian refer to neighbourhoods as surveys, when everyone else I know in Ontario uses the term subdivision? It is completely unheard of, I did a double take the first time I heard my 'subdivision' refered to as a survey. And as far as I know, it's a local phenomenon.

neat pics, neat to see way back when. I just wish some were in colour but whatever. I just noticed the caption in one picture stating survey. haha

Old Posted May 26, 2008, 11:48 PM
Hammer'd

That downtown 1910 shot confuses me because I'm fairly certain I can see the Royal Connaught in it. I'm fairly certain the Connaught didn't even exist yet in 1910.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted May 26, 2008, 11:55 PM

Great pictures! Can't wait to see more.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
one question

why does every hamiltonian refer to neighbourhoods as surveys, when everyone else I know in Ontario uses the term subdivision? It is completely unheard of, I did a double take the first time I heard my 'subdivision' refered to as a survey. And as far as I know, it's a local phenomenon.
I always wonder that too.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 12:25 AM

The confusion over the 1910 Gore Park photo is strange. I checked the source picture and the date did say 1910, so in fact the date is wrong since the Royal Connaught did not open until 1916. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
one question

neat pics, neat to see way back when. I just wish some were in colour but whatever. I just noticed the caption in one picture stating survey. haha
When I went to school in the mid-90s in Dundas this used to drive me insane.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 12:57 AM

Outstanding!

Thanks for posting these.

It's great to see old pictures that have buildings which are still up today.
Very cool to see the Community Theatre sign showing that Hitchcock's Spellbound is playing

Can someone post any pics from the 70's? It's a special thing for me since that's when I was a young punk.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 2:39 AM

I grew up in Bridgeview Survey.

That first photo of the 1948 aerial is amazing - no parking lots and a continuous streetwall on every artery. We moved to Hamilton in 1951 when I was a child and that is exactly how I remember downtown. It was a bustling happening place with sidewalks crowded with pedestrians and shoppers. I'm dismayed to see it now, especially around Gore Park.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaborandi View Post
(image)

I grew up in Bridgeview Survey.

That first photo of the 1948 aerial is amazing - no parking lots and a continuous streetwall on every artery. We moved to Hamilton in 1951 when I was a child and that is exactly how I remember downtown. It was a bustling happening place with sidewalks crowded with pedestrians and shoppers. I'm dismayed to see it now, especially around Gore Park.
You can even make out the King William to York St transfer. All gone.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 6:42 AM
Closed account

the hamilton that we see in these photos is looooooong gone and will never return: market square; the jockey club; hell, even centre mall's gone now. i've got a couple dozen hamilton history books packed away in boxes - too depressing to look at.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 5:01 PM
Closed account

These photos are great! I have a bunch of Hamilton history books displayed in my bookshelf, no need to be ashamed. It's just a way of looking into the future, really. If you look at these pics, and see how urban planning then worked, we can use it as examples for the future (ie: return of Street Rail).

There were some great pics I hadn't actually seen b4 tho, like the Main/Huxley shot. I think that theater is a collectors/comic shop now called 'Weird Things'. The bldg's still there, but the awning is gone.

Was the airport actually at Reid/Dunsmure? If you look at google maps sat image, it looks like the aiport was a lil more north by Melvin/Woodward (it's neat b/c it looks like the outline of runways):
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en...=16&iwloc=addr

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 7:18 PM

Some More Pics

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 7:41 PM
It's Hammer Time

I soooo gotta show my Grandma this, I've heard her talk about this place at least 10 times whenever old downtown Hamilton is brought up.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 7:43 PM
It's Hammer Time

By the way, what is this place to the left of Old City Hall? Looks like a gaint parking garage......

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 8:45 PM

your answer

yep.... that's a parking garage..... it forced the farmer's market out and as a result they would close of York St. and allow the vendors to set up their stalls there.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 9:19 PM
Hammer'd

Wow that all angers me. There used to be an absolutely beautiful streetwall on the West side of James South beside the Piggot. Looks like Toronto almost. Those buildings didn't even look that old. Pointless destruction.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 4:55 AM

My records say that HSR 197 was sold to the Canada Coach Lines in 1951. Is there any way we can confirm the date of this picture?

The house my Dad grew up in is the one right on the left edge of the photo, on the street that's a half circle (Binkley Cres)

My Grandmother would pass this spot everyday going to school in Westdale.

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 8:53 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millstone View Post
When I went to school in the mid-90s in Dundas this used to drive me insane.
so, were you a hawk or a panther?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos