HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 1:49 PM

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...tnut-structure
TIL that the Chestnut Street East Historic District exists. Explains why 709 hasn't gotten off the ground yet.

Would love if that could be expanded to cover more of Chestnut and maybe even East Market.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 7:33 PM
Chris

Small retail update.
Looks like J. Crew Factory is opening on Chestnut Street, in addition to the new full-line Walnut Street store. And Vans and Brooklinen plan to open in the coming months.

https://jobs.jcrew.com/JCrew/job/Phi...102/888874200/

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post

Let's hope the Spring Garden revamp is easier...

After all that, Washington Avenue could end up with two separate safety configurations

https://www.inquirer.com/transportat...-20220527.html

"A March compromise plan to put Washington Avenue on a mixed-road diet with fewer lanes in some sections and new traffic-calming features seemed to offer a chance to make the thoroughfare safer and end a nine-year battle. But Councilmember Kenyatta Johnson on Thursday declined to introduce legislation changing parking rules on the part of the avenue in his district, meaning it would be repaved but stay five lanes wide."

"Councilmember Mark Squilla introduced a bill enabling parking and loading-zone changes on Washington Avenue in his district, from Fourth Street to Broad Street."

"Johnson said he wants Washington Avenue to remain five lanes through the Second District, reflecting the needs and concerns of residents and business owners."
this really drives me nuts. People are going to end up getting hit and possibly dying because this idiot can't do the right thing. I have to cross this deathtrap all the time, with my 6-year old if we're going to Chew or Queen Memorial library. Anytime I want to get a pizza and beer from dock street, grab something from small oven, I need to cross that street with the sinking feeling I'm going to get hit. I was thinking I was compromising with the mixed lane proposal, and in the end I was fine with that because it was so much safer.

anyway, bike coalition has a form letter if anyone is interested:
https://bicyclecoalition.secure.nonp...oritize-safety

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Small retail update.
Looks like J. Crew Factory is opening on Chestnut Street, in addition to the new full-line Walnut Street store. And Vans and Brooklinen plan to open in the coming months.

https://jobs.jcrew.com/JCrew/job/Phi...102/888874200/
Brooklinen actually just opened up today and it looks like Vans will likely open within a week or so.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 8:24 PM

Quote:

Let's hope the Spring Garden revamp is easier...

After all that, Washington Avenue could end up with two separate safety configurations

https://www.inquirer.com/transportat...-20220527.html

"A March compromise plan to put Washington Avenue on a mixed-road diet with fewer lanes in some sections and new traffic-calming features seemed to offer a chance to make the thoroughfare safer and end a nine-year battle. But Councilmember Kenyatta Johnson on Thursday declined to introduce legislation changing parking rules on the part of the avenue in his district, meaning it would be repaved but stay five lanes wide."

"Councilmember Mark Squilla introduced a bill enabling parking and loading-zone changes on Washington Avenue in his district, from Fourth Street to Broad Street."

"Johnson said he wants Washington Avenue to remain five lanes through the Second District, reflecting the needs and concerns of residents and business owners."
I think he’s framing this is an anti-gentrification issue. Absolutely amazing, dude is such a clown.

Old Posted May 28, 2022, 9:07 AM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
I think he’s framing this is an anti-gentrification issue. Absolutely amazing, dude is such a clown.
And call me naïve, but wouldn't a roadway that prioritizes pedestrians and bikers benefit everyone whether poor or wealthy? I'm struggling to a find a logical argument to support his shenanigans.

Old Posted May 28, 2022, 9:10 AM
Chris

Independence Visitor Center generates $72M a year in additional spending on tickets and more across the region, new report says

https://www.inquirer.com/business/to...-20220527.html

Old Posted May 28, 2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Really truly unbelievable. We need to get Johnson and Clarke out now. Both of these men are a complete plague on this city.
they are removed when they lose an election. They are elected by the people in their district- whether you like it or not. Folks were not on the same page when it comes to the washington ave changes- again you people seem incapable of recognizing that there are voters/taxpayers in the city that don't align with your know it all vision for the city. This is not a lab, this is real life- it is not often that varied factions in a densely populated city are always on the same page.

Old Posted May 28, 2022, 1:15 PM

Every survey result I've seen on the matter of Washington Ave. says the opposite. Not only that but the option of keeping it as is had the lowest support. Within 19146, 3 lane had by far the highest, followed by mixed. I was willing to compromise on mixed, but we're not even getting that. Just because someone gets voted into office doesn't mean they're going to represent the opinions of their constituents.

Last edited by Skintreesnail; May 28, 2022 at 2:57 PM.

Old Posted May 28, 2022, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
they are removed when they lose an election. They are elected by the people in their district- whether you like it or not. Folks were not on the same page when it comes to the washington ave changes- again you people seem incapable of recognizing that there are voters/taxpayers in the city that don't align with your know it all vision for the city. This is not a lab, this is real life- it is not often that varied factions in a densely populated city are always on the same page.
Do you have any tangible evidence that any significant number of residents anywhere near Washington Avenue want the current configuration? Literally every survey or poll I've seen has had some division and different priorities but enormous majorities wanted some type of change to make the street safer.

This is truly a handful of business owners that have Kenyatta's ear that are making this happen.

You seem incapable of understanding that just because a politician was elected, they're not always acting in the interest of their constituents. This may come as a devastating shock to you, but sometimes politicians make decisions based on their own self interest and to enrich those who bankroll their campaigns.

Old Posted May 28, 2022, 9:21 PM

Quote:
And call me naïve, but wouldn't a roadway that prioritizes pedestrians and bikers benefit everyone whether poor or wealthy? I'm struggling to a find a logical argument to support his shenanigans.
Some, maybe most, progressives have decided that language is what's actually important, so NIMBYS have jumped all in on using progressive language. Obviously it doesn't make sense to leave the road maiming and killing the residents for the "needs and concerns of residents" (that repeatedly said they wanted the redesign) but if you're thinking in terms of outcomes the statement wasn't for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
Every survey result I've seen on the matter of Washington Ave. says the opposite. Not only that but the option of keeping it as is had the lowest support. Within 19146, 3 lane had by far the highest, followed by mixed. I was willing to compromise on mixed, but we're not even getting that. Just because someone gets voted into office doesn't mean they're going to represent the opinions of their constituents.

Well you know, the surveys had thousands of residents responding they wanted a safer road, but some lady showed up to the last in person meeting and screamed until they canceled the meeting, so it's hard to say if the community wants the redesign or not

Old Posted May 28, 2022, 10:21 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

I mean Cardeza has a point, the politicians that are elected are chosen by their constituents.

Even if the politician is doing some things for self they are still pleasing and talking to a majority of their constituents for them to get elected year after year.

Even though this is a blue wave area you can still get beat by an other democrat that the people feel their views align with and will get the best result for THEIR community.

And another thing we live in a city which we all know is majority cars, MOST people who drive cars don't view road diets or transportation as a better thing and is just another thing in the way of them driving on the road.

Reducing lanes for bike lanes and more share paths pisses most car users off because now you have to drive in one lane waiting for people, and bicyclist, and cars to park, and you can't pass them so this irritates people and causes them not to like these plans.

We have to think about all angles here and not just our side of pro development and NIMBY, some people have been here decades some have been here a month but we have to respect everyones viewpoint and understand we all have to coexist.

If everything was robotic and one way the whole city would still be in 1776.

Old Posted May 28, 2022, 11:10 PM

^^^the thing is though, 19146 and 19145 are both represented in the survey. And they are clearly pointing to 3 lane support. Did thousands of people in these zips that are against the change really miss the decade of discussion and show up at Johnson's office to voice opposition? I get that lots of people in the city drive don't like road diets and bike lanes, but there needs to be some level of compromise when the community that has to live around desires change, especially when people are dying or getting hurt crossing. There are kids that need to cross to go to school, the library, the park, the pool. I'm pretty sure parents in this area could car less about some driver looking to shave a couple minutes off their commute if it means their kid might get run over.

Unless you mean he's able to explicitly go against the wishes of his district in this case because he's good enough for everything else. I mean that I kind of know already, but it still makes me furious.

I got an email today that they'll increase crossing guards, install speed bumps, lights, blablabla, but I know that's bull because Johnson already voiced support and then walked that back. The road is going to stay as is.

Last edited by Skintreesnail; May 28, 2022 at 11:22 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
We have to think about all angles here and not just our side of pro development and NIMBY, some people have been here decades some have been here a month but we have to respect everyones viewpoint and understand we all have to coexist.
I think it's weird to consider the "other angle" of if any non-resident drivers will be mad about any aspect of trying to make the road safe, you'll always find at least one. Better question might be, why bother considering that angle at all?

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 12:37 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnEmperorPenguin View Post
I think it's weird to consider the "other angle" of if any non-resident drivers will be mad about any aspect of trying to make the road safe, you'll always find at least one. Better question might be, why bother considering that angle at all?
Don't twist what im saying.

When I say other angle Cleary there are other people who live & use these areas other than Pedestrians and Bicyclists right?

The business owners who depend on and use Washington Ave everyday including their customers, residents in the area, workers, commuters, tourists.

Again these plans were only changed due to what the community wants and feels they need.

In fact didn't we have an article not to long ago with a resident saying she didn't want bike lanes on Washington Ave because they can hit pedestrians that are walking?

Again everyones view point of this plan is different and the residents and business owners of the areas within this plan lies chose what they wanted.

Oh yea to clearly show this is what the residents want kind of thing, if you look at Pine, Spruce or Lombard you see the residents of the AREA had no issue with bike lanes and even protected bike lanes, another example would be 11th St off of Washington Ave as well.

So lets not get upset about what people of their areas want.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 3:15 AM

Quote:

So lets not get upset about what people of their areas want.
In this case though, that just isn't true. I live three blocks away from Washington, on the west side of broad. There is overwhelming support from everyone around Washington Ave. Of the three lane plan. All the arguments I've heard against are due to misinformation around three lanes would keep emergency vehicles from passing through (several studies show this is false, that in fact it speeds up emergency response by essentially providing an express lane down the middle turn lane), or that it will increase traffic into the neighborhood ( again, traffic studies show that the more you accommodate cars, the more cars you get). Complaints of bike lanes are a mix bag, but I know I have a whole lot more close calls with cars every day walking my kid to school. Never once did we have some bike almost run us down whipping around a corner or running a stop sign.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 5:52 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
In this case though, that just isn't true. I live three blocks away from Washington, on the west side of broad. There is overwhelming support from everyone around Washington Ave. Of the three lane plan. All the arguments I've heard against are due to misinformation around three lanes would keep emergency vehicles from passing through (several studies show this is false, that in fact it speeds up emergency response by essentially providing an express lane down the middle turn lane), or that it will increase traffic into the neighborhood ( again, traffic studies show that the more you accommodate cars, the more cars you get). Complaints of bike lanes are a mix bag, but I know I have a whole lot more close calls with cars every day walking my kid to school. Never once did we have some bike almost run us down whipping around a corner or running a stop sign.
I completely agree with you on several points. Most people don't know that the more lanes you add it won't get rid of traffic just adds more and etc.

I'm on your side with things just like all the majority of us that are on the SSP Pro Development page, and just like you have examples of real world situations in your community others do too.

Now im 100% with the Road diet and all that on Washington its an essential strip in the city and it deserves to serve the residents and community in a way better fashion than what currently exists.

But I also don't live on Washington Ave im in a whole other part of the city that has its own ways too.

My point being is that plan changed for some reason and I assume we won't know the real reason but someone made enough noise for that plan to be changed.

This city has a big love for Vehicles over other modes so progress has to be made to accommodate both sides and push the city to a point where it's mixed use on roads that the residents in the community can live with.

Remember for every 100 of us that love Public transportation and Walking there's another 100 that loves Cars and Airplanes.

At the end of the day the changes are still well needed and will improve the QOL in that area. We all know the city changes every year so in the next 5 years a whole new plan can come bout especially with all the development and Transportation talks.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 12:27 PM
Chris

Looks Like Target is Coming to International House at 37th & Chestnut

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...-37th-chestnut

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 12:55 PM

Quote:
My point being is that plan changed for some reason and I assume we won't know the real reason but someone made enough noise for that plan to be changed.
Enough noise or a few business made large enough campaign donations (or worse) to ignore the will of the community. Councilmanic prerogative needs to end.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 1:35 PM

There’s so much new development on Frankford Ave and Front St. Has anyone heard of any what is going to fill the commercial spaces?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development