HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineN View Post
Some of it was bad timing, but also looking back I wish he hadn't have sat on the Nylander negotiation so long, only to give what Nylander was asking for. If he had have waited it out maybe Nylander signs for less, and it makes a difference in Marner's negotiations. I dunno.
I believe if Muzzin and Barrie were signed for another year they may have very well let Marner sit out. As it stands though the extra money that Marner got isn't the difference between signing either of those guys next year. Management knows this is likely the best defense group and perhaps overall roster that the team is going to have for a while. Letting any one of the three young forwards miss a season due to contract negotiations, and then losing in a game 7 again only to have Muzzin and Barrie leave in free agency... They would be absolutely crucified.

Seeing the rest of the RFA dominoes fall into place at more than reasonable prices still hurts though.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 10:40 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Seeing the rest of the RFA dominoes fall into place at more than reasonable prices still hurts though.
Could be worse though. Treleving's UFA signings have been universally awful, most resulting in buyouts.

July 1 is terrifying for Flames fans.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 1:28 AM

Talking

The marlies beating up on the habs. Maybe we have a shot at lafreniere after all

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli View Post
The marlies beating up on the habs. Maybe we have a shot at lafreniere after all
The AHL squads always seem to beat the regulars during the pre-season. Guys giving everything they have for a shot at the lineup vs. the core players just trying to get their legs fresh for the regular season.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 7:37 PM

Quote:
The AHL squads always seem to beat the regulars during the pre-season. Guys giving everything they have for a shot at the lineup vs. the core players just trying to get their legs fresh for the regular season.
Play like derriere for Lafreniere.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 12:12 AM

MacTavish fired after just eight KHL games

https://www.tsn.ca/khl-s-lokomotiv-y...oach-1.1370710

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 2:20 PM

I'm just glad it looks like Ottawa will have another terrible season. I hate that team for so many reasons. #1 they think they are Toronto's main rival, they aren't even our second or third. If that team folded I would not miss it or their fans. The Sens history is a pathetic one. And I'm not talking about their performance on ice which did have a few good years.

2003- The Senators are out of cash and were unable to meet payroll this week after a $234.6-million refinancing deal collapsed.

2004- Committee votes to ban Leaf jerseys at Corel Centre

2013 - Ottawa Senators move to keep Toronto Maple Leafs fans out of the Bank

2017 - Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk says low attendance could force him to move team

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I'm just glad it looks like Ottawa will have another terrible season. I hate that team for so many reasons. #1 they think they are Toronto's main rival, they aren't even our second or third. If that team folded I would not miss it or their fans. The Sens history is a pathetic one. And I'm not talking about their performance on ice which did have a few good years.

2003- The Senators are out of cash and were unable to meet payroll this week after a $234.6-million refinancing deal collapsed.

2004- Committee votes to ban Leaf jerseys at Corel Centre

2013 - Ottawa Senators move to keep Toronto Maple Leafs fans out of the Bank

2017 - Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk says low attendance could force him to move team
This just tells me you started watching the Leafs when they became good again since the Senators were the last meaningful rivalry (ie. playoffs) the Leafs had before Boston. In the early 00's the battle of Ontario was in full swing and could always be counted on for good games with Sundin vs. Alfredsson, Domi vs. Neil, Cujo vs. Lalime, etc.

What the hell does the owner's incompetence have to do with the fans or wishing they would lose their team? The fact that the Sens have continually been able to ice competitive teams and find amazing late round picks without the resources of other big clubs is actually one of the more impressive feats in sports management.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 2:52 PM

Quote:
This just tells me you started watching the Leafs when they became good again since the Senators were the last meaningful rivalry (ie. playoffs) the Leafs had before Boston. In the early 00's the battle of Ontario was in full swing and could always be counted on for good games with Sundin vs. Alfredsson, Domi vs. Neil, Cujo vs. Lalime, etc.

What the hell does the owner's incompetence have to do with the fans or wishing they would lose their team? The fact that the Sens have continually been able to ice competitive teams and find amazing late round picks without the resources of other big clubs is actually one of the more impressive feats in sports management.

Nice try, the Sens and Leafs are rivals, but the Sens are nowhere near the top of the Leafs rivalry list. The Leafs happen to be the Sens #1 rival though.

What the hell is with your stupid question? Those are all headlines that show a history of mismanagement and poor fan support. The whole "Battle of Ontario" lol lame name meant to help boost ratings was the NHL trying to boost the rivalry to help the Sens with slumping ratings and ticket sales. Now that slogan has stuck like dog shit to a shoe, and it stinks.

I could care less if they kept their team, they treat out of town fans namely Toronto fans like shit, they needed bailing out and they may again, and unlike Sens fans I never stopped watching them as proven by most Leaf fans as our team win or lose never slumped in sales ratings or fan base size. It irks me when cities like Ottawa have a team and QC is still waiting to get one back. Ottawa is very unworthy of the NHL.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 3:17 PM

The Senators would consider Montreal their number 1 rival considering you know, they've actually played meaningful games against them in the last 10 years. When was the last time a Toronto-Montreal game actually meant anything? I'm assuming you consider them a prime Leafs rival since they didn't hurt your feelings by trying to promote home team support. No shit the fans don't want to show up for games when every single player they've grown to love is ran out of town by an owner unwilling and incapable of showing any support back to the fans.

Canada is likely not getting another hockey team in the next two decades or maybe ever. An Ottawa -> Quebec City relocation has enough hurdles that it will probably never gain traction either. What you see is what you get and it's one thing to want your team to beat the others on the ice, but to wish failure on an organization as a whole is detrimental to maximizing the amount of professional hockey (and subsequently local rivalries) that we're going to get in this country.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 3:18 PM

Torontos captain Austin Matthews drops his pants in front of female security guard.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 3:19 PM

Canucks Brock Boeser and Oscar Fantenberg now in concussion protocol.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 3:20 PM

Flames resign Tkachuk for 3 more years.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Flames resign Tkachuk for 3 more years.
Higher AAV than Point is insane, but more about how Tampa continually gets ridiculously good value contracts than Calgary overpaying.

Still the Flames now have Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Gio expiring in the same year. The window is open for the near 3 years...

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 3:35 PM

I get confused between Morgan Marner and Mitch Matthews haha. So many M's in Toronto!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 3:40 PM
Derp

Quote:
Higher AAV than Point is insane, but more about how Tampa continually gets ridiculously good value contracts than Calgary overpaying.

Still the Flames now have Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Gio expiring in the same year. The window is open for the near 3 years...
Florida also has different income tax laws, might have something to do with the good value contracts

Also, cities like Edmonton and Calgary probably have to overpay to convince talent to come/stay there

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Torontos captain Austin Matthews drops his pants in front of female security guard.
Im not letting everyone just gloss over this.

Hey austin, youre living the life. Take it down a notch with the alcohol there bud.

Also, the worst thing the sens ever did is the spartan fiasco. That was somethung to behold.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 5:43 PM

If they were planning on giving Matthews the C it'll likely have to wait for a little while now.

I've personally always been of the opinion it should be Reilly, who's been nothing but professional his entire career and appears to have that leadership DNA.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 6:16 PM

Cool to hear Cammi Granato hired as NHL's first woman pro scout with the Seattle expansion team.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 6:17 PM

Quote:
If they were planning on giving Matthews the C it'll likely have to wait for a little while now.

I've personally always been of the opinion it should be Reilly, who's been nothing but professional his entire career and appears to have that leadership DNA.
Assuming the report is accurate, a group of men approaching a lone woman's car and trying to open the door at 2am is a weird and creepy thing to do. I mean, it's a predator move.

If this is true, this shows a real lack of maturity on Matthews part, or maybe something worse. Not a Captain in the least.

I found an article that has more details than the TSN and Sportsnet articles I read. It appears that they took her by surprise as she was doing paperwork when they approached her car.

Quote:
The guard told police that, as she sat in her car completing paperwork, somebody walked up to her vehicle and pulled on the outside door handle, startling her, the report said.

The guard got out to look around and saw several people, including Matthews, and confronted them. According to the report, Matthews told her they wanted to see how she would respond, the report said.

The guard told police she is a military veteran who suffers form PTSD and the incident was "disturbing and put her on edge,'' the report said.

The report does not specify whether it was Matthews who pulled the door handle, but says as one of his friends tried to calm the guard, Matthews began to walk a short distance. He then stopped and, according to the police report, "pulled his pants down, bent over and grabbed his butt cheeks.''

The guard told police that Matthews still had his boxers on, the report said.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...fs/2435357001/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada