HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 1:32 PM

Yeah, totally don't see the point.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 2:06 PM
arf

Split entry homes get you is a slightly shallower basement level. In Regina split-entry should be done more often given how bad the clay soil is on foundations (less force working against the foundation.) Split entries also give the basement larger windows which makes the downstairs area a lot nicer as a living and working space.

Newfoundland builds a lot of split entries because it does give a bungalow a lot nicer basement to extend the living area and given the rock it is easier to dig out less depth to build.

I've lived in split entries. While I don't really like the stairs to the basement entry concept, the other benefits are pretty nice.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
They're definitely not good - they're too big and cumbersome for that style, and at that size need more articulation in the form. Plus the windows look undersized and their placement is weird (that the front door is unaligned with the randomly-arched window above really bothers me), and the porches are awful. Those ledgestone-clad sections between each house are an odd choice as well.

...However, when considered within their context they're not so bad. The materials and colours relate to those of their neighbours, and they're otherwise unobtrusive in any way. It's mediocre filler that will fade into the background and that's not a terrible thing.
This is how I feel. I really don't like these, they look cheaply done and the window really bothers me lol.

I also think the whole dark trim on clapboard/siding looks modern right now but will become dated quickly. I prefer crisp white trim and bright coloured siding.

As for the single family one, I think it looks great given its context (minus a massive garage).

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 8:41 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Split entry homes get you is a slightly shallower basement level. In Regina split-entry should be done more often given how bad the clay soil is on foundations (less force working against the foundation.) Split entries also give the basement larger windows which makes the downstairs area a lot nicer as a living and working space.

Newfoundland builds a lot of split entries because it does give a bungalow a lot nicer basement to extend the living area and given the rock it is easier to dig out less depth to build.

I've lived in split entries. While I don't really like the stairs to the basement entry concept, the other benefits are pretty nice.
As I recall, this type of entrance first came about in houses built on a lot which is higher at the back, and where the main floor level was a full storey or more above the street at the front, in order to reduce the amount of outside stairs, but without having the entry at the ground level. In a hilly city this is common. On flat ground it makes less sense however. It also permits entry to both a basement suite and an main floor suite from the front entrance, thus concealing the entrance of any illegal suite.

Here is a well known 1970s era street in St. John's where this is used extensively:
https://goo.gl/maps/DUEGoUwetBo

Here is another strange St. John's phenomenon, houses built sideways:
https://goo.gl/maps/fWf6UmPvkpE2
This particular one, I believe, is the result of a planned street that was never built, but these are strangely quite common in Newfoundland.

Another common thing is the residential "parking lot", just how many cars are they expecting?
https://goo.gl/maps/Nz34qYqFiEs

Last edited by Architype; Oct 30, 2018 at 9:27 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 10:04 PM

My house is a bi-level and has entrance like that obviously. It is my preferred layout for a house, mainly due to large basement windows.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
As I recall, this type of entrance first came about in houses built on a lot which is higher at the back, and where the main floor level was a full storey or more above the street at the front, in order to reduce the amount of outside stairs, but without having the entry at the ground level. In a hilly city this is common. On flat ground it makes less sense however. It also permits entry to both a basement suite and an main floor suite from the front entrance, thus concealing the entrance of any illegal suite.

Here is a well known 1970s era street in St. John's where this is used extensively:
https://goo.gl/maps/DUEGoUwetBo

Here is another strange St. John's phenomenon, houses built sideways:
https://goo.gl/maps/fWf6UmPvkpE2
This particular one, I believe, is the result of a planned street that was never built, but these are strangely quite common in Newfoundland.

Another common thing is the residential "parking lot", just how many cars are they expecting?
https://goo.gl/maps/Nz34qYqFiEs
I was looking along Canada Drive and just love this house's lawn:
https://goo.gl/maps/1HLT8DhZkRm

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 2:00 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Normally I would think it's vacant, but it probably isn't.

Here's one with a circular drive, better than a parking lot.

https://goo.gl/maps/kJFo5rbwMLu

Canada Drive is like the bayman's idea of what the city should be, but it's still much better than some of the newer suburbs.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 2:11 AM

Are we talking weird entrances? I show you one: https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.92026...7i13312!8i6656

Underground two-car garage in FRONT of a modest two-storey house with a mansard roof (which I will ALWAYS defend to the death, nothing but respect for MY modern-postmodern transitional roof style). There are two houses like this in the entire neighbourhood, and to my knowledge the entire city. Even weirder, the house next door has the same garage but with a regular entrance door, and still keeps the crappy wooden stairs to reach the door. Crazier, the rest of the houses on the same side of the street have the same hill to deal with but just have regular driveways. Wild.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
Are we talking weird entrances? I show you one: https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.92026...7i13312!8i6656

Underground two-car garage in FRONT of a modest two-storey house with a mansard roof (which I will ALWAYS defend to the death, nothing but respect for MY modern-postmodern transitional roof style). There are two houses like this in the entire neighbourhood, and to my knowledge the entire city. Even weirder, the house next door has the same garage but with a regular entrance door, and still keeps the crappy wooden stairs to reach the door. Crazier, the rest of the houses on the same side of the street have the same hill to deal with but just have regular driveways. Wild.
Most of that front lawn is pretty useless other than providing separation from the street and I'm sure mowing it isn't fun.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
As per Google Street View timeline between June and August 2013 they really let it go fallow.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 2:37 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post

Cinder blocks as a landscaping feature are always a nice touch.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 2:49 PM

That would be really cool if the garage was internally connected to the house. Looks it's just a dugout though and you have to walk up the exterior stairs.

The way it is now though the driveway takes up way too much of the frontage.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 4:28 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Recently learned this thing, which I assumed was a pile of construction waste from roofing work that no one ever bothered to clean up, is a public art installation. It regularly fills with rainwater then dries out.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Recently learned this thing, which I assumed was a pile of construction waste from roofing work that no one ever bothered to clean up, is a public art installation. It regularly fills with rainwater then dries out.

OMG that's just the saddest piece of public "art".

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post

Split entry homes are also economical to build. They are usually only down 4 ft into the group rather than 8, which means less concrete work and $$ saved. Often times there is only 1 roof line with a shallow pitch, so money saved again. The entryway and stairs are combined into one square space, leaving the rest of the house to be configured as the builder desires and they work on both flat and sloped lots.

They are far any away the most popular style of home built here over the last 30 years. People seem to be migrating away from them now toward larger footprint one - story houses. Though I find St. John's has gone to more two - story homes.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 12:14 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
Split entry homes are also economical to build. They are usually only down 4 ft into the group rather than 8, which means less concrete work and $$ saved. Often times there is only 1 roof line with a shallow pitch, so money saved again. The entryway and stairs are combined into one square space, leaving the rest of the house to be configured as the builder desires and they work on both flat and sloped lots.

They are far any away the most popular style of home built here over the last 30 years. People seem to be migrating away from them now toward larger footprint one - story houses. Though I find St. John's has gone to more two - story homes.
In Vancouver split entries are extremely rare, or non existent; to save money here you just build right on grade, with little excavation because there is barely any frost line to consider. The entrance is on grade or down one step, (a zoning cheat). The stairs are interior with the main living space upstairs. This cheap "Vancouver Special" number in the thousands, and was common in the 70s which maximized the standard 33 ft. narrow lots with rear parking.

This one is a variation with driveways, and sort of a duplex, also rare.
https://goo.gl/maps/6e1pDiJv8Mz

Last edited by Architype; Nov 1, 2018 at 12:27 AM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 12:20 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
OMG that's just the saddest piece of public "art".
More like Public "Fart".

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
In Vancouver split entries are extremely rare, or non existent; to save money here you just build right on grade, with little excavation because there is no frost line to consider. The entrance is on grade or down one step, (a zoning cheat). The stairs are interior with the main living space upstairs. This cheap "Vancouver Special" number in the thousands, and was common in the 70s which maximized the standard 33 ft. narrow lots with rear parking.

This one is a variation with driveways, and sort of a duplex, also rare.
https://goo.gl/maps/6e1pDiJv8Mz
The Vancouver special may not win any beauty contests, but it's one of the more versatile single family home designs I know. I knew people who rented the top or bottom halves of these homes as separate 3 BR apartments, and I was always amazed at how bright and spacious those units were.

Would I be correct in assuming that there are no load-bearing walls on the second floor of a Vancouver special? I remember seeing 2nd floor Vancouver Special apartments in all sorts of creative space arrangements.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 12:33 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
The Vancouver special may not win any beauty contests, but it's one of the more versatile single family home designs I know. I knew people who rented the top or bottom halves of these homes as separate 3 BR apartments, and I was always amazed at how bright and spacious those units were.

Would I be correct in assuming that there are no load-bearing walls on the second floor of a Vancouver special? I remember seeing 2nd floor Vancouver Special apartments in all sorts of creative space arrangements.
In the standard plan there is a central load bearing partition which runs the length of the house, as seen in the plans below. This could be easily changed by using support beams though. These houses convert easily to current modernist designs too.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=vanco...w=1366&bih=651

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 10:04 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

I like the guard rail.

Behold Calgary's much maligned Bowfort towers:

Local indigenous groups claim that it looks like their ancestral burial scaffolds.

Last edited by O-tacular; Nov 1, 2018 at 10:35 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada