HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 11, 2019, 1:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The true size of five representative countries superimposed over the populated regions of Canada

Graphic created with the aid of the website Thetruesize.com
https://thetruesize.com/#?borders=1~...NDcwNQ(MjI1)MQ

I tried to be representative in the comparisons:
- Maritimes/United Kingdom
- Quebec/France
- Ontario/Germany
- Prairies/Ukraine
- British Columbia/Japan

Japan - 127,000,000
Germany - 82,000,000
United Kingdom - 67,000,000
France - 65,000,000
Ukraine - 44,000,000
TOTAL - 385,000,000

Canada - 37,000,000

We are a very empty country............

Old Posted Aug 11, 2019, 6:19 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It also helps explain why countries like France have so many more people living in them. When you overlay them on top of Canada you see that their habitable and fertile areas are much larger. This is the Wikipedia entry for the Seine basin:

The basin area is 78,910 square kilometres (30,470 sq mi),[19] 2 percent of which is forest and 78 percent cultivated land ... The population density is 201 per square kilometer.

It's about the same size as New Brunswick, but New Brunswick is about 5% cultivated land. PEI is about 42%.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 12:51 AM
The New Republic

Yet Canada has more arable land than Japan, Germany, the UK, and France put together. And our grain belt expands northwards each passing decade. It's true that we're all sandwiched in the extreme south but the habitable land and that fit for agriculture still amounts to a massive swath of land.

ARABLE LAND (sq km)

Japan - 44,226
Germany - 121,737
United Kingdom - 61,144
France - 215,029
TOTAL - 442,136

CANADA - 469,281

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_u...ics_by_country

Last edited by isaidso; Aug 14, 2019 at 1:03 AM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 1:30 AM

When I talked to my British friends who were here on a visa they thought a drive from London to Manchester was a mission. I said to them that's a day trip here!

I could easily do Brighton to Glasgow without breaking a sweat.

Of course, price of gas is way more there and they have cheaper trains and flights so it's about perspective.

Considering how small those countries are compared to here, as a sports fan, I would cover every Premier League stadium for a game within three years.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 2:43 AM

I wouldn’t say a lot of people do a 4 hour drive in a day.. I mean I’m sure it happens but that’s a lot for a day.

Toronto-Ottawa is 4 hours and people do that for a night all the time, or a day while flying.. but not drive theee in the morning and back in the evening.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 2:54 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

When I was composing my post above, I was quite impressed at how well the Ukraine overlaid the southern Prairie provinces, extending from Winnipeg to Edmonton and Calgary.

Lots of parallels there (steppes/prairies, Ukrainian heritage, extent of cropland etc).

The Ukraine however has 44,000,000 people vs about 6,500,000 in the Prairie provinces.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I wouldn’t say a lot of people do a 4 hour drive in a day.. I mean I’m sure it happens but that’s a lot for a day.

Toronto-Ottawa is 4 hours and people do that for a night all the time, or a day while flying.. but not drive theee in the morning and back in the evening.
Yes, I was only being half serious. I have driven to Ann Arbor, MI for a game at the Big House and come back the same day.

Other than that, I did my first stint at school in Windsor. Half my residence was from the GTA. I don't recall anyone mentioning their parents were staying at a hotel overnight. Of course, it must have happened but I'm pretty sure the majority did the day trip thing when dropping off at the start of school and picking up at the end, year in year out.

Also, I know a few people who have gone to Lions, Browns and Steelers games just for the day.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 4:45 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The true size of five representative countries superimposed over the populated regions of Canada

Graphic created with the aid of the website Thetruesize.com
https://thetruesize.com/#?borders=1~...NDcwNQ(MjI1)MQ

I tried to be representative in the comparisons:
- Maritimes/United Kingdom
- Quebec/France
- Ontario/Germany
- Prairies/Ukraine
- British Columbia/Japan

Japan - 127,000,000
Germany - 82,000,000
United Kingdom - 67,000,000
France - 65,000,000
Ukraine - 44,000,000
TOTAL - 385,000,000

Canada - 37,000,000

We are a very empty country............
why we pay a fortune for travel and data

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 5:14 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Yet Canada has more arable land than Japan, Germany, the UK, and France put together. And our grain belt expands northwards each passing decade. It's true that we're all sandwiched in the extreme south but the habitable land and that fit for agriculture still amounts to a massive swath of land.

ARABLE LAND (sq km)

Japan - 44,226
Germany - 121,737
United Kingdom - 61,144
France - 215,029
TOTAL - 442,136

CANADA - 469,281

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_u...ics_by_country
Arable is just a baseline, though. How intensely land can be farmed varies hugely. When people first came from the UK to the vaunted cornucopia of the Prairies, they imagined it would all be (or become) like England, with tiny acreages and little parish churches everywhere, with market towns every mile or two. The sort of agricultural land that we actually have was unimaginable to them, and required a lot of adjustment to new concepts of distance, including social distance.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 2:08 AM
Moran supreme

Quote:

A 4 hour drive is a lot? The last time we were in Montreal on a vacation we did a day trip to Ottawa and another day trip to Quebec City. Out west here in Alberta, our family will do day trips that will total 7-800km round trip, no big deal. The last one for us, Calgary-Medicine Hat-Cypress Hills-Manyberries badlands-Lethbridge-Calgary. About 900km including a number of hours exploring the badlands and supper in Lethbridge.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 3:09 AM

Quote:

My daily commute in Saskatchewan was 90 minutes each way. I would think nothing about jumping in the car on a Friday after work and driving 3-4-5 even 7 hours to Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg for the weekend.

I would drive to Rider games 10 or 11 times a year to Regina or neighbouring provinces for a game.

It's just a prairie thing i guess....

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 3:32 AM

Another one I just remembered was Ft. Lauderdale to Key West and back. With the traffic and washroom break was at least four hours each way.

Nowadays I'd def. get a hotel and enjoy things more but we didn't think twice about doing it same day.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 8:28 PM
Rational urbanist

The whole "100km is far in Europe, 100 years is a long time in North America" thing.

I first experienced this myself when a Welsh friend posted online about the daunting 4 hour "road trip" she had coming up that weekend. I can't even wrap my head around that. I do 3-4 hour bus trips twice a week. Also met a guy from Regina who does business in Winnipeg a few times a month, and he always just drives too.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It also helps explain why countries like France have so many more people living in them. When you overlay them on top of Canada you see that their habitable and fertile areas are much larger. This is the Wikipedia entry for the Seine basin:
True, and that's clear from that map where Montreal is in the Pyrenees (i.e. as far south as it can be) while Dunkerque is up in virtually uninhabitable land here.

In other words, if you wanted to try driving all over the place in a criss-crossing manner as much as possible, you'd find that Inhabitable France is much larger than Inhabitable Quebec.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 10:44 PM

Irreligion in Canada according to the 2001 Canadian Census and the 2011 Canadian Census

Irreligious Canadians include atheists, agnostics, and humanists.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 11:24 PM

Interesting stats. BC and Alberta kind of surprised me but really it should so much with the demographics of their populations.

I wish there would be more specific stats about attending ceremonies of worship, frequency of praying and other things because I know that Quebec is very secular overall as a society even though many will identify as Catholic even though they rarely go to church. It's the same with many people where I live.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 11:55 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Arable is just a baseline, though. How intensely land can be farmed varies hugely. When people first came from the UK to the vaunted cornucopia of the Prairies, they imagined it would all be (or become) like England, with tiny acreages and little parish churches everywhere, with market towns every mile or two. The sort of agricultural land that we actually have was unimaginable to them, and required a lot of adjustment to new concepts of distance, including social distance.
Except the argument was made that the map explains why the comparable areas in Europe have so many more people living on them. The implication was that these Canadian regions couldn't accommodate the same population. That's clearly not the case; not in today's world anyway.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 11:59 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainvan View Post
Irreligion in Canada according to the 2001 Canadian Census and the 2011 Canadian Census

Irreligious Canadians include atheists, agnostics, and humanists.

Which throws an unwanted wrench in the widely held Ontario belief that Albertans are a bunch for Bible thumpers. It's actually the other way around.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Interesting stats. BC and Alberta kind of surprised me but really it should so much with the demographics of their populations.

I wish there would be more specific stats about attending ceremonies of worship, frequency of praying and other things because I know that Quebec is very secular overall as a society even though many will identify as Catholic even though they rarely go to church. It's the same with many people where I live.
If you go by the census, which I'm pretty sure is what these people did, you'll have a flawed picture. Church attendance (lack thereof) is a much better metric, as you pointed out.

Last I checked, I was on paper counted as Catholic, despite being as atheist as one can get. Also, can't recall last time I filled a census.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 1:20 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Which throws an unwanted wrench in the widely held Ontario belief that Albertans are a bunch for Bible thumpers. It's actually the other way around.
No it isn't. The disparity isn't that great, and is likely accounted for by how comparatively Catholic Ontario is in the "Quebec" sense, i.e. there are lots of cultural Catholics registered in parishes since birth who have little in the way of deeply held faith.

Rural Ontario certainly does have fundamentalist and evangelical Christians, but not quite to the same degree as Alberta from what I've seen and heard.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada