HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 5:30 PM
Come As You Are

I don't expect classicists to get it.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 9:45 PM

I loved how they dominated the skyline, and how they looked at night. I miss them. R.I.P. Twin Towers, and everyone that died on 9/11/2001 as you are sorely missed.........

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
I don't expect classicists to get it.
Video Link

Old Posted May 25, 2014, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
The main attraction of the Twin Towers were not their beauty, at least for me. Hell, I never thought about beauty and grace when I think of the WTC or NYC as a whole. When I think of New York and the Twin Towers, I think of brute, intimidating, dominating strength. Greatness, to put it into a single word. That's basically what America is all about. That's the definition of a skyscraper.They are to express strength and power in the most simplest of terms.
That is the single most true post I've seen in my life.

Old Posted May 25, 2014, 8:22 PM
BANNED

The new Trade Center will look so much better in the skyline and makes better use of the streets. 5+ buildings in one huge plaza in the 70s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffstuff129 View Post
As tragic as it was no lose part of the NYC skyline, I think that it really is time to move on from the past. As such, I think that while not a iconic design, the new WTC that is currently under construction is the best choice for New York.

I loved the Twin Towers as much as anyone, but architecturally, they weren't that great. Yes, they were efficient, but from the skyline they were really just giant gray boxes. Now we are getting beautiful glass buildings that (blasphemy ahead) will look better on the skyline and provide the type of office space that tenants want (columnless, glassy, modern, and with good views). The only thing the OWTC had of those was the first one.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 6:52 PM

This week's New Yorker has a good writeup on Konstantin Petrov's World Trade Center photographs:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...5/take-picture

Petrov was an electrician at Windows on the World.

His Fotki album has a ton of great pre and post 9/11 photographs:

http://public.fotki.com/kostic/world_trade_center/

Amazing stuff. And amazing how much NYC has changed in 13 years.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
This week's New Yorker has a good writeup on Konstantin Petrov's World Trade Center photographs:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...5/take-picture

Petrov was an electrician at Windows on the World.

His Fotki album has a ton of great pre and post 9/11 photographs:

http://public.fotki.com/kostic/world_trade_center/

Amazing stuff. And amazing how much NYC has changed in 13 years.
Funny, I'm the guy who had the treasure trove. They needed the higher resolution photos that used to be on Fotki, but they aren't available anymore for whatever reason. Glad I could help them, and find out what happened to Petrov.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 7:18 AM
New Yorker for life

Touching tribute...

November 9, 2014

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 9:45 AM
New Yorker for life

Saw the preview for this in 3D Imax, and it is a must see...

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 9:08 PM
Crane Goddess

^SO Going to see that!
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 9:06 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
^SO Going to see that!
Yes, it is amazing how they captured the essence of the Twins. And you can see from the top, the buildings weren't 100% completed when this took place, making it very accurate. See it in 3D.

I've watched that trailer multiple times.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 5:51 AM
Crane Goddess

I am surprised that a friend of mine wants to see it too, and in Imax 3D no less. Usually he only goes in for action/adventure movies.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 7:59 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 12:49 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 4:53 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted May 14, 2015, 1:39 AM

I remember this man very well. He was my age, very smart, easy-going, hard worker. He had a very heavy Swedish accent, and was a little difficult to understand at times, but he knew exactly what to say to make you laugh.

I thought he was awesome, because he could quote lines from Final Fantasy VII verbatim. He even had a Sephiroth cold cast statue on his desk.

He worked upstairs from me on the 100th floor; I was on 99. The first time I met him, I was helping move his computer equipment from the South Tower after we acquired RGL in '99. Unfortunately, he did not survive the attack.

He invited me out for drinks about a month before the attacks, and I didn't take him up on it, because I had to work late to support our upgrade to Microsoft Office 2000. One of those decisions I'll always regret.

http://www.nordstjernan.com/news/people/3718/

(the pictures are of the Marsh McLennan offices on the 100th floor of 1WTC. He worked on the SW corner of the tower, one of the floors I was responsible for.)

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 5:42 AM
Future Mayor of Chicago

Now that the new World Trade Center observation deck is open can anyone who has now visited both give insight on the differences between the old and new observation decks. Surely the outdoor deck in the old one made it more unique but how do the indoor decks compare?

"Auto-centric suburban sprawl is the devil physically manifesting himself in the built environment."

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago103 View Post
Now that the new World Trade Center observation deck is open can anyone who has now visited both give insight on the differences between the old and new observation decks. Surely the outdoor deck in the old one made it more unique but how do the indoor decks compare?
This is just my opinion but here goes:

Top of the World (old 2 WTC)
Overview:
Visitors entered on the 2nd floor which overlooked the lobby below and courtyard outside. After a security screening (added after 93 bombing) visitors entered an large elevator which whisked them to the top. There was no flashy video animation, only a small LCD screen flashing floor numbers at an astonishing speed. As the car closed in on the top, the arrow pointed down, indicating you were slowing down. The doors then opened on floor 107.

The observation deck was fairly plain in design. In later years it featured a virtual helicopter ride around the city, a scale model of the city, food court (typical NY mall food such as Sbarro), gift shop, and 360 degree views of NYC.

Around the perimeter a hallway featured railings and lowered benches for enjoying the view as well as your typical tourist fare of paid binoculars and coin stamping machines. Video screens pointed out interesting sights and NY history was written on the interior walls. Architecturally it was uninspired. Exposed duct work and raw painted metal additions didn't make the space feel like a luxury.

You could take an escalator up past the mechanical space and onto the roof where a wide path circled the building. The path was set back from the edge surrounding the helipad and surrounded by the automated window washer tracks but afforded sweeping views of NY and beyond.

Pros:
  • Larger (smaller core)
  • Better Window Configuration
  • Outdoor Roof Deck
  • Better Food Court*
  • Model of NYC
  • Better Sight Lines
  • Higher
Cons:
  • Ugly design

One World Observatory (new 1 WTC)
Overview:

Visitors can enter from either the West Street plaza or via the underground passageway. Behind the underground security screening a video wall welcomes guests and shows where visitors are from in real time as tickets are scanned. Next visitors pass video screens talking about the challenges faced and stories from constructing the building. After passing through a Disneyland feeling hallways of "bedrock", visitors load into one of 5 "skypod" elevators which feature 3 walls of floor to ceiling video screens. After arriving on floor 102, visitors pass through the "See Forever Theater" which shows a video about NYC before exposing the views outside.

The observatory feels very polished and high end. Marble floors, clean walls and recessed lighting frame the space. Compass directions are embedded in the floors. The observatory features a formal restaurant, high end bar, casual eatery, and a gift shop. The top of the building is diagonal to the NYC grid, affording views to the NW, NE, SE, and SW. In the North and South corners there are "City Pulse" systems which are a circle of LCDs and a person in the middle controlling them via motion. There is also a "Sky Portal" which features a LCD screens on the ground showing video of the west side highway below.

The elevator ride down features another video animation and on your way out you pass a booth selling a photo taken of you at the top.

Pros:
  • Expensive look and feel. Very polished.
  • SkyPod Elevator rides
  • See Forever theater
  • Better Food*
  • Multiple levels

Cons:
  • Windows frequently blocked by sitting visitors
  • Massive window glare
  • City Pulse are large, loud and block views
  • Tiny view directly uptown squeezed behind a City Pulse

Comparison
My opinion is that the original tower did it better. The new deck feels like someone spent a TON of money for not that much gain. Sure the space is nice, but it feels very controlled, very sterile. I don't think it connects with the city or the environment that well. It feels more like a Disney attraction designed for tourist than a viewing platform for NY.

The original had a food court. You could grab pizza, and a table and not spend a fortune. The new deck features 'artisan' foods and there are virtually no tables anywhere.

There's also no seating. The original had benches along the windows, which allowed visitors to sit and watch the city, while others could look out over their heads. Without any seating tired visitors take refuge on the vents along the windows. This blocks other guests from looking out unless you want to awkwardly stand over someone else.

While the theater was well done, the city pulses are just annoying. The sky portal is also a silly waste of space. The multi-level space was a nice touch. The double height ceilings in the corners really make the space feel large and airy.

The original wasn't nearly as polished and clean. Exposed ducts and unfinished ceilings didn't evoke luxury like the new one does, but it did fit in well with the grittiness of NYC. The outdoor observation deck was unbeatable and incomparable to the new tower.

Conclusion
Overall, the new One World Observatory is decadent and a pleasurable expirience. It'll surely draw millions of visitors with it's spectacular views. Unfortunately though, I found it underwhelming, and felt that it lost most of the magic of the original. Despite the NY movie in the theater, and the City Pulse, it feels disconnected from the city below. I also felt that not including seating anywhere, or a single pair of binoculars was a miss. The Observatory is decked out in gadgets and TV screens, but that further disconnects you from the outside. The energy efficient windows reflect all interior light and due to the angled orientation of the building, trying to take a picture at night will more likely result in a photo of the guy standing behind you rather than the city outside.

Last edited by drumz0rz; Jun 5, 2015 at 1:55 PM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 8:55 AM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
This is just my opinion but here goes:

Top of the World (old 2 WTC)
Overview:
Visitors entered on the 2nd floor which overlooked the lobby below and courtyard outside. After a security screening (added after 93 bombing) visitors entered an large elevator which whisked them to the top. There was no flashy video animation, only a small LCD screen flashing floor numbers at an astonishing speed. As the car closed in on the top, the arrow pointed down, indicating you were slowing down. The doors then opened on floor 110.

The observation deck was fairly plain in design. In later years it featured a virtual helicopter ride around the city, a scale model of the city, food court (typical NY mall food such as Sbarro), gift shop, and 360 degree views of NYC.

Around the perimeter a hallway featured railings and lowered benches for enjoying the view as well as your typical tourist fare of paid binoculars and coin stamping machines. Video screens pointed out interesting sights and NY history was written on the interior walls. Architecturally it was uninspired. Exposed duct work and raw painted metal additions didn't make the space feel like a luxury.

You could take an escalator up past the mechanical space and onto the roof where a wide path circled the building. The path was set back from the edge surrounding the helipad and surrounded by the automated window washer tracks but afforded sweeping views of NY and beyond.

Pros:
  • Larger (smaller core)
  • Better Window Configuration
  • Outdoor Roof Deck
  • Better Food Court*
  • Model of NYC
  • Better Sight Lines
  • Higher
Cons:
  • Ugly design

One World Observatory (new 1 WTC)
Overview:

Visitors can enter from either the West Street plaza or via the underground passageway. Behind the underground security screening a video wall welcomes guests and shows where visitors are from in real time as tickets are scanned. Next visitors pass video screens talking about the challenges faced and stories from constructing the building. After passing through a Disneyland feeling hallways of "bedrock", visitors load into one of 5 "skypod" elevators which feature 3 walls of floor to ceiling video screens. After arriving on floor 102, visitors pass through the "See Forever Theater" which shows a video about NYC before exposing the views outside.

The observatory feels very polished and high end. Marble floors, clean walls and recessed lighting frame the space. Compass directions are embedded in the floors. The observatory features a formal restaurant, high end bar, casual eatery, and a gift shop. The top of the building is diagonal to the NYC grid, affording views to the NW, NE, SE, and SW. In the North and South corners there are "City Pulse" systems which are a circle of LCDs and a person in the middle controlling them via motion. There is also a "Sky Portal" which features a LCD screens on the ground showing video of the west side highway below.

The elevator ride down features another video animation and on your way out you pass a booth selling a photo taken of you at the top.

Pros:
  • Expensive look and feel. Very polished.
  • SkyPod Elevator rides
  • See Forever theater
  • Better Food*
  • Multiple levels

Cons:
  • Windows frequently blocked by sitting visitors
  • Massive window glare
  • City Pulse are large, loud and block views
  • Tiny view directly uptown squeezed behind a City Pulse

Comparison
My opinion is that the original tower did it better. The new deck feels like someone spent a TON of money for not that much gain. Sure the space is nice, but it feels very controlled, very sterile. I don't think it connects with the city or the environment that well. It feels more like a Disney attraction designed for tourist than a viewing platform for NY.

The original had a food court. You could grab pizza, and a table and not spend a fortune. The new deck features 'artisan' foods and there are virtually no tables anywhere.

There's also no seating. The original had benches along the windows, which allowed visitors to sit and watch the city, while others could look out over their heads. Without any seating tired visitors take refuge on the vents along the windows. This blocks other guests from looking out unless you want to awkwardly stand over someone else.

While the theater was well done, the city pulses are just annoying. The sky portal is also a silly waste of space. The multi-level space was a nice touch. The double height ceilings in the corners really make the space feel large and airy.

The original wasn't nearly as polished and clean. Exposed ducts and unfinished ceilings didn't evoke luxury like the new one does, but it did fit in well with the grittiness of NYC. The outdoor observation deck was unbeatable and incomparable to the new tower.

Conclusion
Overall, the new One World Observatory is decadent and a pleasurable expirience. It'll surely draw millions of visitors with it's spectacular views. Unfortunately though, I found it underwhelming, and felt that it lost most of the magic of the original. Despite the NY movie in the theater, and the City Pulse, it feels disconnected from the city below. I also felt that not including seating anywhere, or a single pair of binoculars was a miss. The Observatory is decked out in gadgets and TV screens, but that further disconnects you from the outside. The energy efficient windows reflect all interior light and due to the angled orientation of the building, trying to take a picture at night will more likely result in a photo of the guy standing behind you rather than the city outside.
I'd be willing to bet that someday an outdoor component 'will' be added and that this is just the beginning of the entire process so people are observing what improvements can be made as time goes on. Give it time, it's classic trial and error, things will work themselves out. With that said, there are other observatories in the works so surely there will be an even greater need to stay on top of things.

Last edited by CHAPINM1; Jun 5, 2015 at 11:01 AM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 1:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I distinctly recall an escalator ride to the roof (outdoor observation) of the original WTC, from the souvenir/snack bar/indoor observatory several stories below (107th level?).

Edit: ah, my recollections are correct.

Quote:
Although most of the space in the World Trade Center complex was off-limits to the public, the South Tower featured an indoor and outdoor public observation area called Top of the World Trade Center Observatories on its 107th and 110th floors. Visitors would pass through security checks added after the 1993 World Trade Center bombing,[117] then were whisked to the 107th floor indoor observatory at a height of 1,310 feet (400 m). The columns on each face of the building were narrowed on this level to allow 28 inches of glass between them. The Port Authority renovated the observatory in 1995, then leased it to Ogden Entertainment to operate. Attractions added to the observation deck included a simulated helicopter ride around the city. The 107th floor food court was designed with a subway car theme and featured Sbarro and Nathan's Famous Hot Dogs.[118][119] Weather permitting, visitors could take two short escalator rides up from the 107th floor viewing area to an outdoor viewing platform on the 110th floor at a height of 1,377 ft (420 m).[120] On a clear day, visitors could see up to 50 miles (80 km).[
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture