HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 1:08 PM

^^^ That building was designed for a vertical addition. It's doubtful that the original architects and engineers designed it for a setback with more height to the back. So I don't think what you are suggesting would have been possible without serious modifications to the original structure.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 11:50 PM

Permit was issued on Monday to redevelop the former Sears on Lawrence (1900 W Lawrence & Wolcott) to add another floor onto it, with ground floor retail, and 59 total units with 44 parking spots.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/19...!4d-87.6770292

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 3:16 AM
devout Pizzatarian

^ cool! Thanks for the update.

60 new units will help offset some of the unit loss from all of the recent 2-flat deconversions in Lincoln Square.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 27, 2019 at 2:14 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 12:11 PM

TimeLine Theatre Selects Architect For New Location On Broadway

Quote:
"TimeLine announced in December 2018 that it had purchased property in Uptown—encompassing a five-story, 45,500-square-foot warehouse building plus a vacant lot near the corner of Broadway and Argyle—to be the site of its new home. Preliminary plans feature two intimate and flexible black box theatres seating up to 250 and 150 audience members, respectively.
https://www.uptownupdate.com/2019/06...itect-for.html

sorry if a repost

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 2:08 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ as a timeline subscriber for the past 7 years, i'm SOOOOOO excited for this project.

it's beyond perfect that this theater company, whose whole mission is to produce plays set in history to inform the present, has chosen to rehab this old historical structure into their new home.

and another good shot in the arm for the uptown entertainment district.

it's ALL win!

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 27, 2019 at 4:31 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 2:19 PM

Nice! I love that building. I wish we had more buildings on that scale on Broadway nearby.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 2:29 PM

it's a good thing, broadway in uptown/edgewater definitely feels on the cusp of a boom period

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 2:42 PM

delete

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 2:45 PM

^ With the 710 apartments being delivered by Cedar Street / Flats, as well, that's going to be a much busier intersection in a couple of years.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 2:46 PM

delete

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 3:44 PM

that theater is a phenomenal adaptive reuse. still, 3 years is a long timeline so hopefully fundraising/economy dosent completely crater before then.

now about that new Double Door....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
it's a good thing, broadway in uptown/edgewater definitely feels on the cusp of a boom period
they need to do a road diet to the north of foster. fully protected bike lane, streetscaping, better ped crossings etc. That would help. Aside from that, hopefully some of those strip malls start getting redeveloped after the red line project is finished.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
that theater is a phenomenal adaptive reuse. still, 3 years is a long timeline so hopefully fundraising/economy dosent completely crater before then.

they need to do a road diet to the north of foster. fully protected bike lane, streetscaping, better ped crossings etc. That would help. Aside from that, hopefully some of those strip malls start getting redeveloped after the red line project is finished.
agree

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 5:18 PM

Quote:

I haven't heard anything about the Double Door in months. Someone familiar with the matter told me the lease wasn't even signed when Cappleman made the announcement ...

I also wonder how the Uptown Theater is going. Last article I read a couple months ago said they still need $40MM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 5:24 PM
The City

West Loop condo project that drew NIMBY complaints that led Ald Burnett to walk out of a community meeting got approved:

https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2019...condo-project/

Once LL moves on, Burnett for Mayor?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 27, 2019 at 9:37 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
I haven't heard anything about the Double Door in months. Someone familiar with the matter told me the lease wasn't even signed when Cappleman made the announcement ...

I also wonder how the Uptown Theater is going. Last article I read a couple months ago said they still need $40MM.
have always been skeptical of the uptown theater rehab and cappleman is a clown, so no surprise about the double door

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
West Loop condo project that drew NIMBY complaints that led Ald Burnett to walk out of a community meeting got approved:

https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2019...condo-project/

Once LL moves on, Burnett for Mayor?
This should probably be moved to the politics thread but I know Walter quite well... think he would be a very good Mayor. I have seen lots of growth out of him through the years and think he has intellect and gravitas to be a serious threat should he decide to run / once LL leaves office that is.

Another guy that I know really well is Brookins. He has not been in the news much lately but he is relative juggernaut on the far south side. He is another guy that I have seen substantial growth from through the years / could possibly make a run at Mayor down the road.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsted & Villagio View Post
This should probably be moved to the politics thread but I know Walter quite well... think he would be a very good Mayor. I have seen lots of growth out of him through the years and think he has intellect and gravitas to be a serious threat should he decide to run / once LL leaves office that is.
He's also just funny as hell. Burnett is always cracking me up.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
He's also just funny as hell. Burnett is always cracking me up.
Agreed, he’s super funny.

Isn’t he an ex-con though? I’ve heard rumblings of mafia ties? Can’t imagine those aspects faring well in a city-wide election.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose Island Guru View Post
Isn’t he an ex-con though? I’ve heard rumblings of mafia ties? Can’t imagine those aspects faring well in a city-wide election.
you must be new here.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 3:02 PM

Quote:

Crossing Broadway in Edgewater is a colossal pain in the ass. I wouldn't doubt that the Andersonville neighborhood groups want to keep it that way, lest any "urban" folks from the other side infiltrate their neighborhood.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development