HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 3:13 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
That's a long list of defendants. How do such parties organize a response? Jointly or each of them separately? Sounds like a lot of lawyers getting paid big time...
Typically speaking you name everyone. The general, subs, subs of subs, owners, partners, shareholders, kitchen sink.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 4:02 AM

I assume each party would be represented by their own legal council as they would all have a different opinion on who is at fault.

By the defendants listed I get the sense the defect is in the envelope/glazing.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 4:43 AM

And this project was supposed to be the creme de la creme of luxury projects. I have to wonder if people buying into that crap and putting down millions of dollars ever do feel duped? Probably only those few that buy to live in, as investors won't care.

Do luxury projects in New York and Singapore have so many problems?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 5:46 AM

Quote:
And this project was supposed to be the creme de la creme of luxury projects. I have to wonder if people buying into that crap and putting down millions of dollars ever do feel duped? Probably only those few that buy to live in, as investors won't care.

Do luxury projects in New York and Singapore have so many problems?
Some do. New York has one notorious tower, and 432 Park has numerous problems. In Singapore a Li Ka-shing company is being sued for 'numerous defects'. One tower was reclad when the stone cladding fell off in 2011 - the developer sued the designer and contractor. And of course the Millennium Tower in San Francisco seems to have worse problems despite attempts to stop it leaning. Most recently glass has been shattering (and not just in that tower). And there are numerous cases in Toronto of Faulty Towers. The Stantec Tower in Edmonton has had glazing failing.

And we don't yet know what the problem is with the Grosvenor, or how serious it is. (Maybe the Chair of the Strata Council is a lawyer?)

Last edited by Changing City; Jul 25, 2023 at 5:58 AM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Typically speaking you name everyone. The general, subs, subs of subs, owners, partners, shareholders, kitchen sink.
The kitchen sink always gets away with murder in these situations. Everyone blames the plumber, the general contractor, the developer, the City, etc., but nobody ever points a figure at the real culprit.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Some do. New York has one notorious tower, and 432 Park has numerous problems. In Singapore a Li Ka-shing company is being sued for 'numerous defects'. One tower was reclad when the stone cladding fell off in 2011 - the developer sued the designer and contractor. And of course the Millennium Tower in San Francisco seems to have worse problems despite attempts to stop it leaning. Most recently glass has been shattering (and not just in that tower). And there are numerous cases in Toronto of Faulty Towers. The Stantec Tower in Edmonton has had glazing failing.

And we don't yet know what the problem is with the Grosvenor, or how serious it is. (Maybe the Chair of the Strata Council is a lawyer?)
I see what you did there.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Rule No. 1: Never buy a house or apartment built during a boom, when contractors are short-staffed and will hire anyone who can theoretically swing a hammer. Instead, buy something built during a downturn, when contractors keep their best staff on and drop the otherwise-unhirables like a sack of hammers.

At least that's what real estate agents tell me.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Rule No. 1: Never buy a house or apartment built during a boom, when contractors are short-staffed and will hire anyone who can theoretically swing a hammer. Instead, buy something built during a downturn, when contractors keep their best staff on and drop the otherwise-unhirables like a sack of hammers.

At least that's what real estate agents tell me.
So buy a presale today?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2023, 4:34 PM

Thread title is "Grosvenor Pacific | 114.3m | 39 Fl | U/C".

This is completed, residents have moved in, etc, yes?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2023, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
So buy a presale today?
I can't imagine a pending lawsuit is going to help the Duke of Westminster unload the last 10+ units for sale. Good thing he got that Empty Homes Tax rebate from ABC.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 7:22 PM

Some deets on the alleged defects:

Lawsuit Alleges Nearly 80 Defects In Grosvenor’s 39-Storey Pacific
Brought forward by The Pacific's strata, the lawsuit details alleged defects in the Downtown Vancouver building ranging from water damage to cracking concrete to elevator doors closing with excessive force.
Howard Chai
August 08, 2023

The Pacific, a 39-storey luxury condominium tower in Downtown Vancouver, is the subject of a new lawsuit claiming an extensive array of defects across the building, according to a notice of civil claim filed last month.

Brought forward by the building's strata, the suit alleges that The Pacific, located at 889 Pacific Street, at the intersection of Hornby Street, has experienced nearly 80 different defects, ranging from water damage to cracking concrete to elevator doors closing with excessive force.

England-based Grosvenor served as the developer of the project through Hornby Pacific Limited Partnership, Hornby Pacific GP Limited, and Hornby BT Holdings Limited. The building was designed by Arcadis Architects (formerly IBI Group) and ACDF Architecture, constructed by Ledcor, with Aviva Canada and National Home Warranty Group serving as the warranty provider. Construction finished on the project in 2021...

.....Regarding the facade, balconies, and landscaping of the building, claims include defects to the metal cladding on the exterior, exposed insulation, chipping concrete, corrosion of structural steel posts on the roof, and a series of problems involving the unit balcony soffits — the underside of the balcony roof.

Alleged defects extended to the interiors as well, with the suit claiming the presence of windows that are inoperable, cracked glass, window walls with exposed aluminum brackets, damaged window frames, malfunctioning locking mechanisms for exterior doors, and scratched or damaged interior doors.

Common areas across the building also supposedly have a range of issues. According to the strata, the lobby desk countertop was inadequately installed, interior etched-glass walls are scratched, and concrete ramps in the parkade have supposedly seen "excessive cracking," while other below-grade areas have seen water ingress and water-staining.

Most critical, perhaps, are the claimed defects regarding the elevators, mechanical, and electrical systems of the building, where the strata alleges various components were improperly or inadequately installed...

https://storeys.com/grosvenor-pacifi...efect-lawsuit/

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 9:24 PM

^ I've heard of a building in town where the as-builts for the large mechanical rooms were anything but accurate. The mechanical systems installed were completely different than represented in the as-builts. Good times.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver