HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 6:15 PM

Elizabeth Bagshaw Property Albright Road

This property I see is being sold off as surplus by the school board.

It is 6 acres in size, one minute from the RHVP.

IMHO its a crackerjack site. No shade issues. Some density concerns maybe and probably some water and sewer issues.

Having said all that would like to see a quality developer take a leap and put up some fancy condo towers that overlook the RHVP and less dense townhouse condos closer to the street.

Done right it could be quite catchy.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 6:25 PM

It’ll probably just be townhouses like further east.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 7:24 PM

no doubt....fun to dream lol

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 2:59 PM
Hammer'd

The school is being emptied and sold off? I went there for grade 8 back in 2001 and it seemed like a relatively new building at the time. I realize its been 20 years since then but I'm still a bit surprised to read that.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 3:02 PM
It's a nickname from work

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
The school is being emptied and sold off? I went there for grade 8 back in 2001 and it seemed like a relatively new building at the time. I realize its been 20 years since then but I'm still a bit surprised to read that.
I'm surprised they're closing it too. The building's one of the youngest in this part of the city, and I figured they had the numbers to sustain it.

Course, the Board is known for pinching pennies...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 4:24 PM
Ham-burgher

The current Bagshaw school building was originally used for Albion vocational school. It's been around since at least the early 1970s (it was there when I went to Red Hill in the latter half of that decade).

They may have renovated it when it was switched over to elementary school use, when the original Bagshaw school at the east end of Albright Rd. was vacated and given to the Catholic board. But it's still a 50-ish year old building.

Sir Wilfred Laurier was built onto the rec centre of the original Bagshaw (in the late 1990s?) to replace some of the elementary school space lost in the transfer. I guess the HWDSB figures it can handle the area demand for now.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 3:58 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
The current Bagshaw school building was originally used for Albion vocational school. It's been around since at least the early 1970s (it was there when I went to Red Hill in the latter half of that decade).

They may have renovated it when it was switched over to elementary school use, when the original Bagshaw school at the east end of Albright Rd. was vacated and given to the Catholic board. But it's still a 50-ish year old building.

Sir Wilfred Laurier was built onto the rec centre of the original Bagshaw (in the late 1990s?) to replace some of the elementary school space lost in the transfer. I guess the HWDSB figures it can handle the area demand for now.

I remember when Sir Wilfred Laurier was a High school.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 6:31 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
I remember when Sir Wilfred Laurier was a High school.
Was that the name of the original Bagshaw when it was a secondary school?

I was only there for gr. 7 & 8 but because it had been a high school we had all kinds of amenities other elementary schools did not -- double gymnasium with large change rooms (there may have been a smaller gym too, my memories are a bit fuzzy), theatre with individual cloth seats and a full stage/lighting setup, wood shops, dedicated art classrooms, larger science classrooms, etc. Plus the attached rec centre had the pool.

There were more than 1,500 kids going to that school back then, in the early 1980s. Lots of young families in the area.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 3:43 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Was that the name of the original Bagshaw when it was a secondary school?

I was only there for gr. 7 & 8 but because it had been a high school we had all kinds of amenities other elementary schools did not -- double gymnasium with large change rooms (there may have been a smaller gym too, my memories are a bit fuzzy), theatre with individual cloth seats and a full stage/lighting setup, wood shops, dedicated art classrooms, larger science classrooms, etc. Plus the attached rec centre had the pool.

There were more than 1,500 kids going to that school back then, in the early 1980s. Lots of young families in the area.

It was Sir Wilfred Laurier High school back in the 70's. It wasn't around for long. It was only open from 1972- 1976.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 6:58 PM

This proposal has been changed from townhomes (2-3 floors) to a 5-storey, 125-unit condo building.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 8:17 PM

They could put two of these buildings on this site if they buried the parking.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 9:06 PM
Ham-burgher

So this is actually the old Red Hill School site then, not where Bagshaw II was (though that land was also up for sale and is now a Christian high school: https://guidodebres.org/)

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Mar 28, 2024 at 9:16 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton