HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I will say I like most of the pictures on here (except for those from YOU KNOW WHICH CITY ). But I don't often comment something like "nice pictures".

I think the photo and construction update content, etc. is the most valuable part of the forum.
Samesies. I look at pretty well all of the pictures that get posted in this thread and I appreciate them. I hold back on comments that are really banal ("nice pics") for the most part, although some occasionally slip through. Maybe I'll have to start posting more of those types of responses to show my appreciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
The sets you post are great, but posting 30 to 50 at a time is too much for a lot of people, and a lot of the great shots get lost in the blur. Also the fact that it's other people's work and not your own probably contributes to the indifference as well. I mean shit, no one comments on my posts and they're actually my own work. Not a big deal. To be clear though, I do think the sets you post are gorgeous.
I don't frequent the City Photos subforum much anymore, but that forum is arguably a better format for large doses of photos. Back in the day when I checked it regularly, I'd kind of know what I was in for when I clicked a thread that was called something like "DES MOINES MEGA PHOTOTHREAD UPDATE - 56K BEWARE!!!!!!!". By contrast, I click here expecting to see 5 or 10 new photos but if it ends up being 50 or more I tend to scroll by pretty fast.

If you go and take 40 pictures to post here, it should probably be its own thread. I mean, it isn't like this forum is running out of room for new threads. If we can have threads for some off hand observations about lacrosse or TV commercials or whatever, we can have one for Chadillaccc's pictures that represent hours of effort on his part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
The more I see of Victoria, the more I consider it a great Canadian city.
Agreed. I don't know exactly when it happened, but somewhere over the past 20 years it went from looking kind of like a coastal Saskatoon to a major city somewhere in the Nordic countries.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 4:56 PM

Fabulous Victoria set Great Scraper!

I like the individual company signage on each floor of this building, don't see this very often in Canada and when it's done elsewhere, mostly Asia, they usually make the signage too big and it looks tacky.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 5:43 PM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

[QUOTE=LeftCoaster;9080530]Fabulous Victoria set Great Scraper!

I like the individual company signage on each floor of this building, don't see this very often in Canada and when it's done elsewhere, mostly Asia, they usually make the signage too big and it looks tacky.

Thank you LeftCoaster

I also like how they put signs on the building like that. I really like that office building. It's only a couple of years old too. Here's a few photos of it, that I also took this year.

New office building, Victoria B.C. Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

New office building by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

New office building, Victoria, B.C. by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 7:08 PM

A few I took around Ottawa after my Montreal plans got rona'd.

20201014_161048 by F.Stanz, on Flickr

20201014_161251 by F.Stanz, on Flickr

20201009_125509 by F.Stanz, on Flickr

20201014_163820 by F.Stanz, on Flickr

20201009_153006 by F.Stanz, on Flickr

20201014_170500 by F.Stanz, on Flickr

20201012_154500 by F.Stanz, on Flickr

20201012_161535 by F.Stanz, on Flickr

20201011_150909 by F.Stanz, on Flickr

20201013_191442 by F.Stanz, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 7:29 PM

/\ Gorgeous, all of them. Le Château Laurier never looked so good.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 11:28 PM
菠蘿油

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
The more I see of Victoria, the more I consider it a great Canadian city.
Victoria is one of those small cities that feels much bigger than it is. A bit like Halifax. But in Victoria's case it's surprising because Vancouver is not far away, and usually in situations like that the larger city sucks out all the energy from the smaller one.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 11:32 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
/\ Gorgeous, all of them. Le Château Laurier never looked so good.
It's a beautiful building. Wish Montreal had a railway hotel that matched it.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 11:42 PM

Victoria's geography is a huge benefit for it. Even though it's close to Vancouver as the crow flies, it is so distinct because of it's position on the island. It has allowed it to grow independently from long ago, and it's recent boom is just further proof of its desirability and uniqueness. VERY different from Vancouver

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 11:59 PM
Look at me!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 12:57 AM

Are they finally building something on the parking lot behind place des festivals?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Are they finally building something on the parking lot behind place des festivals?
I'm not sure which parking lot you are referring to... There won't be any surface parking lots around, behind, in front or anywhere near Place des Festivals next year. To the west, Art de vivre (35-storeys) is UC. To the north, a new park-public square is being developed following a design competition; to the south, there is the Maestria condo project UC. Beyond, there is the Tranquille esplanade UC and almost finished which will feature a skating ring and more stuff. You can see all of this on that aerial pic. Bye bye parking lots.

Le Quartier de spectacles is a 20 years venture and it's almost done.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGk22_-Ag-A/

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 6:52 AM
ARTchitecture

That density is everyyything!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 11:03 AM

A lot is going on. I was referring to this parking lot. It was always weird to have surface parking and the side of a triplex just across the street. Hopefully whatever they will put in the new park will hide it.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 1:07 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Amazing fall set of my favorite Canadian city.

I enjoy seeing curated photo collections from any Canadian city. Some cities get more love than others, and some just have angles and densities that bring out more comments than other cities do. Then again, some have changed incredibly, growing from middling size to extremely impressive skylines in the space of 30 years.

I think that SSP is generally not the best place to get personal affirmation.

That fellow from Hamilton doggedly posted interesting, if not elegant, pictures of his hometown for years, with hardly any comments generated from other forumers. Yet he never complained.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
A lot is going on. I was referring to this parking lot. It was always weird to have surface parking and the side of a triplex just across the street. Hopefully whatever they will put in the new park will hide it.
This parking lot is own by the city and will be turn into a park to add a little bit of greenery to the very mineral quartier. The city recently launched a design-landscaping competition for it.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Amazing fall set of my favorite Canadian city.

I enjoy seeing curated photo collections from any Canadian city. Some cities get more love than others, and some just have angles and densities that bring out more comments than other cities do. Then again, some have changed incredibly, growing from middling size to extremely impressive skylines in the space of 30 years.

I think that SSP is generally not the best place to get personal affirmation.

That fellow from Hamilton doggedly posted interesting, if not elegant, pictures of his hometown for years, with hardly any comments generated from other forumers. Yet he never complained.
Like I said before, the issue is with the format of presentation... in the City Photos thread, you post a new thread for the 20 or 30 images you took in your city and it's common for a significant number of replies to pop up, sometimes months after the fact.

By contrast, in catch-all photo threads like this one, someone posts 20 or 30 images, someone replies "nice pics", then the next person posts a dozen images and it just keeps going on like that with constant turnover. No one really talks about the pictures that got posted 5 days ago.

The photos get higher visibility here than if they were posted in the City Photos sub, but it comes at the cost of discussion/appreciation.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 1:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Like I said before, the issue is with the format of presentation... in the City Photos thread, you post a new thread for the 20 or 30 images you took in your city and it's common for a significant number of replies to pop up, sometimes months after the fact.

By contrast, in catch-all photo threads like this one, someone posts 20 or 30 images, someone replies "nice pics", then the next person posts a dozen images and it just keeps going on like that with constant turnover. No one really talks about the pictures that got posted 5 days ago.

The photos get higher visibility here than if they were posted in the City Photos sub, but it comes at the cost of discussion/appreciation.
I agree with all that too. I used to post big photo threads (in the City Photos subforum) of my overseas travels (I go to Asia once a year, and Europe twice a year, plus the odd trip to Latin America/Australia, etc.), but it would take me hours of editing. In the early days of SSP, I would get tons of comments, but these ebbed as time went on. SSP is but a shadow of what it used to be. At least half the members on SSP are here for trolling and the political shit-show threads, and seem to have little interest in the actual remit of SSP (namely, urban affairs and skyscrapers)
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I agree with all that too. I used to post big photo threads (in the City Photos subforum) of my overseas travels (I go to Asia once a year, and Europe twice a year, plus the odd trip to Latin America/Australia, etc.), but it would take me hours of editing. In the early days of SSP, I would get tons of comments, but these ebbed as time went on. SSP is but a shadow of what it used to be. At least half the members on SSP are here for trolling and the political shit-show threads, and seem to have little interest in the actual remit of SSP (namely, urban affairs and skyscrapers)
You're right. Also, I think part of the issue here has to be volume. When I first joined this forum, digital photography was still a pretty new thing and not many people had digital cameras. My first couple of photothreads involved me literally taking pictures with a 35 mm point and shoot camera, developing the images at Shoppers Drug Mart, and then manually scanning each resulting picture. It took quite a bit of effort.

Contrast that with now where you can whip out your phone and easily take a few dozen decent pictures on your phone while walking to work in the morning... you can upload them and post them instantly.

It's nice to see that steady stream of pictures from across Canada, but it's hard to really look closely at many of them, let alone to respond with words of appreciation/encouragement.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 6:14 PM
Look at me!

A quick walk through the plateau / mile-end on my way to work this morning:

Colours_01_2020_10_22 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

Bricks_01_2020_10_22 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

Temple_Canal_2020_10_22 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

Street_03_2020_10_22 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

Street_02_2020_10_22 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

Maguire_2020_10_22 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

Gaspe_Canyon_05_2020_10_22 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

Gaspe_Canyon_02_2020_10_22 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

NOT this morning.

A_Church_2020_10_08 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada