HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 9:20 PM

There will still likely be construction there all summer as the lane and the road out front are a mess. Also, anyone heard rumblings of what's going to go in the CRU in Glasshouse? Maybe that Good Earth Cafe will end up in there?

Also I see that the lease signs for the 4Play building (sorry forgot the name again) have changed companies, maybe some action will happen now that it's not in a construction zone on one side.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
No it was taken down a few weeks ago (your taking about the red external one right?)
Yeah, that's the one Cllew, exterior complete, interior work likely continuing on units, occupancy of the building is the only determining factor for this one to be officially tagged completed.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
There will still likely be construction there all summer as the lane and the road out front are a mess. Also, anyone heard rumblings of what's going to go in the CRU in Glasshouse? Maybe that Good Earth Cafe will end up in there?
Well, I was interested in the building, but yeah, roadways, street scaping etc..will need work after the build. Owners of units in the building will move in as the area surrounding the project is brought up to current standards...but otherwise completed...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 6:38 PM

Taken yesterday from Ellice Ave

Pretty desolate and harsh pedestrian environment walking along Ellice between Balmoral and Smith street.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 6:46 PM
BANNED

Thanks for those. Agreed. There is so much more work to be done in the area.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 7:13 PM

^ Nice pics, but yes, Ellice is desolate. It feels like a little service lane as opposed to a proper urban street. That walk from Garry to Balmoral is easily one of the most depressing downtown strolls you can take in this country, especially considering that it's just one block off the main drag.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Nice pics, but yes, Ellice is desolate. It feels like a little service lane as opposed to a proper urban street. That walk from Garry to Balmoral is easily one of the most depressing downtown strolls you can take in this country, especially considering that it's just one block off the main drag.
Agreed. Unfortunately, this development does nothing to improve the desolate feel or the pedestrian experience on Ellice. By contrast, the Exchange feels like you are entering Shangra La after enduring a long walk down Ellice.

BTW, I saw lots of lights on in the IBM building behind PP. Wonder if there is anything going on in there?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 8:10 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post

BTW, I saw lots of lights on in the IBM building behind PP. Wonder if there is anything going on in there?
Renovations for the new MB Finance offices. They are getting kicked out of their current space at Rorie and Market.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Renovations for the new MB Finance offices. They are getting kicked out of their current space at Rorie and Market.
That's interesting. The former IBM Building has been mostly vacant for years... anything that makes Ellice feel less abandoned is a plus.

Why Manitoba Finance get the boot from their previous location? Too many rowdy parties?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Good, anything is better than an empty building. Do you know if they taking the whole building, or just part?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 8:38 PM

The CentrePoint development was a huge step backwards in terms of pedestrian experience, especially on Ellice. The parkade replaced essentially a small strip mall with many small shops that lined the street with ground level parking. The original plan was for the ground level to be commercial space, possible a restaurant or two. When they ran into issues early on with the Portage and Donald side in securing suitable tenants they changes up how the parkade and GlassHouse would be built.

Edit: The IBM building on Ellice was a very interesting building inside. It had security similar to or better than CRA over on Broadway. Basically unless you we authorized you would have had a hard time going anywhere inside.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 8:42 PM

Yeah, the City cannot allow this bait-and-switch to happen again. Having it so barren with the parkade there will make the former Discreet Boutique building even more difficult to lease. Hopefully maybe one day the surface lots behind Air Canada building can get developed properly and help out a bit. Even if they continued that yellow and white panelling across the whole main floor it would make the parkade at least more visually interesting during the day.

And I believe MB Finance is having to move because there's a lot of tech companies in that building that are growing quickly, maybe they were willing to pay more for the space to not move.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Edit: The IBM building on Ellice was a very interesting building inside. It had security similar to or better than CRA over on Broadway. Basically unless you we authorized you would have had a hard time going anywhere inside.
That's a common feature among single-tenant or IT-focused buildings. The Air Canada Building on Portage is locked down in a similar way.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 8:52 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Good, anything is better than an empty building. Do you know if they taking the whole building, or just part?
2nd floor
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 4:14 AM

I noticed coming home from work at 22:30 the led accent lights on the parkaid are not working properly. Some the strips are working and others are out in sections.

I wonder if there is any warranty on the lights or if they will be left to die a slow death

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 1:05 PM

Email update from glasshouse this am. They're going to offer rentals for $975 a month.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Email update from glasshouse this am. They're going to offer rentals for $975 a month.
It costs $1250 at 2.5% or lower mortgage rates plus property taxes? plus condo fees? to purchase a unit.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 1:23 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I think condo fees include property taxes.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Not in my building.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I was more asking then informing with the "?". All I know is the units are around $200k and the building banner states starting at $1250 a month. I have a pamphlet from when they were first offered and I was told they went up in price from first offer to completion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan