HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Murphy Hospitality Group (Gahan House) will be managing the "grab and go cafe" in the Canvas Hotel lobby.

I found this job advert on Indeed.com:
https://ca.indeed.com/jobs?q=restaur...85326fc70e7acc

I wonder if Murphy Hospitality will also ultimately look after the rooftop bar at the Tapestry Hotel when it opens next year. I would think it likely.........
Most likely. Murphy group (kevin] is the franchisee for the hotel as well and not DP Murphy

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 4:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster chucker View Post
Most likely. Murphy group (kevin] is the franchisee for the hotel as well and not DP Murphy
Too many Murphy's.........

Danny and Kevin are brothers if I recall. They were contemporaries of mine back on PEI (although I did not know them well).

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Kevin Murphy is not actually part of the hotel, just Gahan and the bar/cafe.
The hotel is owned and operated by the FiveFive group and Opal Hospitality as outlined in this article:
https://huddle.today/new-hilton-bran...-original-art/

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonBoy View Post
Kevin Murphy is not actually part of the hotel, just Gahan and the bar/cafe.
The hotel is owned and operated by the FiveFive group and Opal Hospitality as outlined in this article:
https://huddle.today/new-hilton-bran...-original-art/
Nice catch. Hmmm. I will have to dig. Was told he was involved. He isn’t a franchise type of guy anyway

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Nice catch. Hmmm. I will have to dig. Was told he was involved. He isn’t a franchise type of guy anyway
Originally it was reported that Murphy Group would run the hotel. It was to be called the Wesley.
Here's a quote from a story in January 2018:

"FiveFive Queen will be a combination of a hotel, condominiums, a restaurant and apartments. The first three floors of the building will be dedicated to a 72-room boutique hotel called The Wesley, run by P.E.I.’s Murphy Hospitality Group. The group will also open a 240-seat Gahan House Restaurant & Brewery on the site. It will have a seasonal 120-seat patio."

Story link: https://huddle.today/fivefive-queen-...r-condo-gahan/

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Originally it was reported that Murphy Group would run the hotel. It was to be called the Wesley.
Here's a quote from a story in January 2018:

"FiveFive Queen will be a combination of a hotel, condominiums, a restaurant and apartments. The first three floors of the building will be dedicated to a 72-room boutique hotel called The Wesley, run by P.E.I.’s Murphy Hospitality Group. The group will also open a 240-seat Gahan House Restaurant & Brewery on the site. It will have a seasonal 120-seat patio."

Story link: https://huddle.today/fivefive-queen-...r-condo-gahan/
Here is the official press release on Canvas Hotel: http://fivefive.ca/Content/pdf/2019-...20Tapestry.pdf

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 9:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Last edited by MonctonRad; Nov 16, 2019 at 4:13 AM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 10:34 PM

I hadn't looked at the FiveFive website for awhile. But for a long time it showed 13 condos left for sale, and 2 available for rent. Today it shows 9 for sale and you have to call regarding rental. Looks like they've leased all the rental units but would conditionally rent you one that's for sale. Slowly it's filling up. Very successful project.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Bar 55 in the lobby of the Canvas Tapestry Hotel by Hilton is now open.

Images from the Canvas Tapestry Hotel FB page.

Bar 55 is open to everyone, not just tenants and hotel guests. Everyone is invited to try it out.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 2:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Excellent Huddle article about the recent grand opening of the Canvas Tapestry Hotel by Hilton at FiveFive Queen.

https://huddle.today/a-peek-inside-m...-canvas-hotel/

Quote:
It’s the first Hilton Tapestry Collection Hotel in Canada. The collection features upscale, unique hotels across the U.S. that offer an authentic connection to its city.

“It is an upscale, corporate retreat hotel for the most part,” Laci Karklins, the hotel’s sales director, said. “We do cater to families as well. However, with the limited availability of our two-queen bedrooms – we only have 20 out of the 97 – we are definitely targeting a fly-in, fly-out corporate demographic.”
There are a number of excellent photos of the hotel included with the article. You should click the link to check them all out. Here's an example:

Lobby

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 3:22 PM

Quote:

There are a number of excellent photos of the hotel included with the article. You should click the link to check them all out. Here's an example:

What a fantastic addition to downtown this whole building is.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 4:09 AM

I was wondering what happened with the roof top terrace they had planned. I hadn't hear anything about it all this summer. And it was never clear to me if it was exclusively for condo owners or hotel guests, or both.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 4:38 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
I was wondering what happened with the roof top terrace they had planned. I hadn't hear anything about it all this summer. And it was never clear to me if it was exclusively for condo owners or hotel guests, or both.
If I was to guess, I would say that everything was probably put on hold because of COVID-19. I think the rooftop terrace was to have been installed during the summer. It might still happen, just not until 2021 or 2022.

There was to be two sides to the terrace, one for the condo owners, and the other for the public (not just hotel guests).

On a side note, I see that the Canvas Tapestry Hotel was in the top three in the T&T reader's choice awards published today.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 1:50 PM

Quote:
If I was to guess, I would say that everything was probably put on hold because of COVID-19. I think the rooftop terrace was to have been installed during the summer. It might still happen, just not until 2021 or 2022.

There was to be two sides to the terrace, one for the condo owners, and the other for the public (not just hotel guests).

On a side note, I see that the Canvas Tapestry Hotel was in the top three in the T&T reader's choice awards published today.
That doesn't surprise me about the Canvas. Having stayed there one night a few months ago, I can say that the room was fantastic and the hotel staff were excellent.

And yes, it would make sense that they would put the rooftop terrace on hold for now.

Overall the whole building has been a success, and a great addition to that area of the downtown. They're now down to 6 condos left for sale.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 2:50 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Now that it looks like we will have herd immunity by July 1st, I wonder if they would consider opening the rooftop terrace this summer. Everyone will be chomping at the bit looking for things to do once they are released from prison.

This could be a very good summer for tourism if things pan out correctly.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 5:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
Moncton’s first roof top bar is opening March 3 on the 9th floor of 55 Queen street. It’s called Palette Urban Rooftop bar
Reposting from the [Moncton] Downtown thread (reviving this moribund thread).

This rooftop bar will be affiliated with the Canvas Tapestry Hotel by Hilton.

https://www.palettebar.ca/

Early March is kinda a strange time to be opening this rooftop bar as the outdoor patio will be essentially useless until June.........

The original name for this rooftop bar was to be "Top Deck." Here is an old rendering of what it was supposed to look like. I wonder if things have changed???

Last edited by MonctonRad; Feb 28, 2023 at 3:53 AM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 12:37 PM

There must be enough seating inside to have it be worthwhile to open in the winter. Perhaps its a more intimate setting like Third Glass on the inside.

That or they are going to install these fancy domes like the bar in the flat iron district in nyc

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
There must be enough seating inside to have it be worthwhile to open in the winter. Perhaps its a more intimate setting like Third Glass on the inside.

That or they are going to install these fancy domes like the bar in the flat iron district in nyc
That's 230 Fifth Avenue. I've been there, but in the summer time so they didn't have those geodesic domes. Great ambiance and amazing city views.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 1:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Huddle article about the new Palette rooftop bar at 55 Queen:

https://huddle.today/2023/02/27/deve...rooftop-patio/

Quote:
Palette is split between an indoor component and an outside patio on the ninth floor. The indoor space has capacity for 60 people while the patio space outside can accommodate 120. Hennessey said an official opening for the outdoor space is slated for May.
Quote:
Palette, a play on words and nod to the name of the hotel it shares a berth with, also references the artistry present there.

“It’s an art-themed hotel, and Palette becomes an extension,” Hennessey said, noting that the walls of the bar itself are hand-painted by Riverview-based visual artist Ji Hyang Ryu.

Meanwhile, bar serves food from local chef Johnathan Morrison and drinks mixed by Justin Kinas, a local mixologist.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2023, 12:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I have heard on a couple of occasions in the last few days that the Palette rooftop cocktail bar has become quite popular. I will have to check it out.

FiveFive Queen in many ways has been just as important to the revitalization of downtown Moncton as the Avenir Centre has been. At nine storeys, it will soon be dwarfed by other buildings in the downtown area, but FiveFive Queen pointed the way.........

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces