HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 3:12 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Ban this kook, please.

He's obviously a troll account with a clear focus to come in to the Canadian forum to start shit. Get rid of him.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 3:19 AM

Gimli Manitoba.............only significant Icelandic settlement outside Iceland
Flin Flon Manitoba...........only town in NA named after a fictional person in a book

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 3:49 AM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightlite View Post
Uh, yes there is. Florida, Mexico, Central America, and the Bahamas, Bermuda, the southern US, all are adjacent or somewhat adjacent in terms of climate
One of the most hilarious trolls in the original style, so I give credit for that!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightlite View Post
Uh, yes there is. Florida, Mexico, Central America, and the Bahamas, Bermuda, the southern US, all are adjacent or somewhat adjacent in terms of climate
You may be right with the climate. Although the Caribbean and a Pacific island can't be totally the same can it?

Also Hawaii has uts own language and culture which most places in NA cannot claim.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Ban this kook, please.

He's obviously a troll account with a clear focus to come in to the Canadian forum to start shit. Get rid of him.
Looks like it is "Bye Felicia"....

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 5:45 PM

For a second I thought that LakeLocker had created another username and I was surprised by the aggressivity of his tone AFAIK he is more civilized than that. That said I see he managed to get himself banned so I suppose he did some very bad things.

Last edited by le calmar; Mar 7, 2021 at 10:37 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 9:14 PM
Registered Drug User

One evening at an outdoor cafe in Istanbul my wife and I watched and listened as a thirty-something Turkish guy speaking academically sound accented English launched into a tirade of anti-American animus to a group of what appeared to be exchange students from around the globe. He covered all the bases, from foreign policy and obesity to gun violence and racism, and while he hit a lot of his targets, some of what he said was pure contrarian fantasy. For example, not only was the consistent harassment women travellers in Turkey without male companions experienced a figment of their imagination, but it was "far worse" in the US, where women were not safe on their own.

I recall most of the Europeans nodding their heads sagely, though one flustered American dude unable to get a word in edgewise was reduced to frowning and shaking his head. I'm guessing his sex life there was probably nonexistent from that point on.

Mr. Brightlife's short tenure here reminds me somewhat of that Turkish expert on the US.

Last edited by rousseau; Mar 8, 2021 at 3:02 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 2:43 AM

Fun exercise. Thread seems derailed. Doing this more for myself so don't pay much mind, but thought I'd pitch in. If I wanted to represent NA to the world as a unified continent in a visual collage of 10 places, I'd do:

1. Times Square / New York City - What list wouldn't include this?

2. Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco - Most quintessential sight in western North America

3. Hollywood Sign, Los Angeles - Historic center of the entertainment industry of the world

4. Capitol Hill, D.C. - Seat of government of the nexus of North American power

5. Mexico City - Largest metropolis in North America

6. The Strip, Las Vegas - LV is world renowned, taste aside. It's like Disneyland for adults as if it was a full city.

7. Quebec City - Iconic French Canadian city that has no analogue in the continent

8. Moraine Lake, Lake Louise - Hopelessly subjective and endlessly debatable, but for my eyes is the most beautiful single sight in the continent if I was forced to pick one

9. St. John's, NL - First English city in North America, essentially the birthplace of anglo-North America

10. Cancun / Mayan Riviera - The most popular and well known of the Mexican beach spots.

It was easy to come up with the US ones, as they are so well known and culturally relevant and significant for human society. It was hard to have to exclude Maui, Miami Beach, the Bean of Chicago etc. Their primate cities of New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco really are icons to the entire planet, something no Canadian city can claim.

Canada was a bit tougher to include, and if the list didn't have to have some weights given to Canada or Mexico I think it'd be even more US centric. Quebec City and Lake Louise I feel are truly iconic in their own right without having been given slots just for the country. St. John's was good to include, Atlantic coast of Canada is fairly important to NA history. I think all three deserve to be in the top 10, but I would have a tough time including anything else from Canada without hitting another 5 or so sights in the US first.

Not an expert in Mexico but I felt giving just one city in a list that included that country did not do it justice, so threw in Cancun as the most notable around the world.

Kind of a banal list I know, pretty obvious, but I mean seeing stuff like Iqaluit, Edmonton and Detroit in a list that has to be limited to 10... really? Maybe in a top 20 or 30.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 3:50 AM

I would include Lake Superior in my list. It's the world's largest freshwater lake and much of its coast look like you're on the coast of an ocean. It also is quite different than the other great lakes due to its size, depth and much rockier shores.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 4:07 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I think we could say the Great Lakes are the most uniquely defining feature of North American geography, so in this sense the Great Lakes cities are quintessentially North American.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
You may be right with the climate. Although the Caribbean and a Pacific island can't be totally the same can it?

Also Hawaii has uts own language and culture which most places in NA cannot claim.
Pretty sure every indigenous community in every province/state in North America would dispute this. There are seven different indigenous languages recognized in Manitoba alone.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Pretty sure every indigenous community in every province/state in North America would dispute this. There are seven different indigenous languages recognized in Manitoba alone.
True yet no indigenous area has been chosen so far.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 1:41 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
True yet no indigenous area has been chosen so far.
They were earlier in the thread.

Iqaluit most notably.

I think I also proposed San Cristobal de las Cases in Chiapas, Mexico.

Taos, New Mexico might also fit the bill. Don't think it has been mentioned.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 2:35 PM

No Canadian town or city has French English and Spanish. This thread is pointless if we are trying to include anywhere in Canada. Also name me a city in Mexico or the U.S that would have French as on of their key spoken languages. If anybody here says New Orleans they don't know that city.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 2:43 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Also name me a city in Mexico or the U.S that would have French as on of their key spoken languages. If anybody here says New Orleans they don't know that city.

Berlin, NH.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 2:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Yeah.

See here and jump to "Local Communities".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French..._United_States

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Ban this kook, please.

I knew that fool would be banned eventually, and it sure didn’t take long, lol.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 4:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
No Canadian town or city has French English and Spanish. This thread is pointless if we are trying to include anywhere in Canada. Also name me a city in Mexico or the U.S that would have French as on of their key spoken languages. If anybody here says New Orleans they don't know that city.
The southern portion of Broward County, Florida just north of Miami might fit the bill for having English, Spanish and French fairly present in everyday life.

It's predominantly English speaking but has a decent-sized Hispanic contingent (one quarter to one third) plus French is quite present due to a large contingent of Québécois snowbirds and a fairly large Haitian-American population.

French as a language only shows up as 2-3% on the census in most cities but having been in the area it's much more present and audible than that. A lot of Québécois including some who live there year-round don't show up on the census, and people of Haitian origin put down Creole as their language but in practice when out and about are probably more likely to use French than Creole. Though less than English of course. But I've been to Florida several times and many Haitian-Americans there will switch to French with you when they discover you're from Quebec.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 5:02 PM
recession proof

Leamington Ontario has lots of English, Mexicans and French's.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 5:41 PM
The Vomit Bag.

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada