HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 12:24 AM
somewhere in-between

^That is very neat. I have heard of John Nolen but had no idea that he was involved in this planned community.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 2:14 PM

^ Yeah, Nolen produced a comprehensive plan for Erie way back in 1913... which is pretty remarkable considering that Erie was a smaller US city and urban planning wasn't really even much of a profession back then. It was the second major attempt to put a plan to a growing city, Andrew Ellicott's being the first when Erie was initially laid out. It displays the potential for and momentum towards Erie becoming a major US city, but that obviously never happened due to a number of factors -- its being part of the state of Pennsylvania being the biggest obstacle.

It's interesting (and a bit depressing, really) that current civic leaders are going back to Nolen's plan one hundred years later for guidance after it was long forgotten about...

If you're interested:

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?...view=1up;seq=9

Here's an earlier article on Lawrence Park/Nolen:

http://www.goerie.com/news/20180127/...-ge-built-town

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 3:00 PM

125-ft schooner on loan from NYC South Street Seaport to be berthed in Erie through 2019. To be docked at Erie Maritime Museum and will offer day sails on Presque Isle bay and Lake Erie. This is a very nice enhancement to Bayfront activities, especially when the Brig Niagara is away sailing along the eastern seaboard/Great Lakes.

Erie’s 2nd tall ship en route to city

http://www.goerie.com/opinion/201805...-route-to-city

Quote:
The fishing schooner Lettie G. Howard, owned by the South Street Seaport Museum in New York City, will berth next to the U.S. Brig Niagara behind the Erie Maritime Museum.

Erie’s second tall ship and newest captain soon will be in port following what amounts to a 1,800-mile shakedown voyage to Erie from the vessel’s New York City home.

Within the next week, expect to see the fishing schooner Lettie G. Howard, owned by the South Street Seaport Museum in New York City, berthed next to the U.S. Brig Niagara behind the Erie Maritime Museum.

The twin-masted schooner, built in 1893 in Essex, Massachusetts, will offer public days sails and school-day sails when the Niagara is away on its Great Lakes summer sail-training schedule this year and next.

A collaboration with the South Street Seaport Museum will allow the Flagship Niagara League to operate the Lettie G. Howard with Niagara crew.

Flagship Niagara League Executive Director and Fleet Captain Billy Sabatini expects the Lettie G. Howard to arrive in Erie by Memorial Day. Public day sails are scheduled to start June 15 and will go daily through summer. School-day sails will start in September.

“The whole reason to bring the Lettie G. Howard to Erie is to enhance the visitor experience for the Erie Maritime Museum and the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission,” Sabatini said.

“The image I keep seeing in my mind is if you’re anywhere along the bayfront, every night at sunset, there’s going to be a 125-foot-long schooner sailing in the bay,” he said. “Think about the difference about what our bayfront and Presque Isle Bay is going to look like with that happening every single day. That’s the image, I think, that is going to sort of capture the minds of the people of Erie.”

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 12:06 AM

St Vincent Hosp adding on.
$25.5M new construction
http://www.goerie.com/news/20180530/...r-construction

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 4:39 PM

Construction progress views of Erie Insurance (steel skelton; center of photos) and UPMC Hamot (black mesh on front of building to be demolished for new intensive care tower; left side of photos).

Depending on the viewing location, the new Erie Insurance building will get lost in the mix of Erie's low skyline.

Last edited by pj3000; Jun 7, 2018 at 4:51 PM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 1:38 AM

Churning dirt, equipment on site for Downtown Erie Hotel
Scott started on the new $20M Hampton Inn Hotel on the Erie Bayfront. Additional Planned development by Scott to run an additional $140M

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 2:15 PM

EEDC (Erie Downtown Development Corp) to move into Erie's Cashier's House. Normally no big news but the fact that the "Cashier's House" is currently 199yrs old is of note. Had the opportunity to tour this house a few yrs back, it was really a step back in time.

Video news clip
http://www.erienewsnow.com/story/383...own-properties

From Wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cashier%27s_House

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 2:44 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erie Pa View Post
EEDC (Erie Downtown Development Corp) to move into Erie's Cashier's House. Normally no big news but the fact that the "Cashier's House" is currently 199yrs old is of note. Had the opportunity to tour this house a few yrs back, it was really a step back in time.

Video news clip
http://www.erienewsnow.com/story/383...own-properties

From Wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cashier%27s_House
Pretty neat. Seems like a good fit, and I hope many more positives come out of this move.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Churning dirt, equipment on site for Downtown Erie Hotel
Scott started on the new $20M Hampton Inn Hotel on the Erie Bayfront. Additional Planned development by Scott to run an additional $140M
Saw the heavy equipment on site... will be great to see another structure go up on the Bayfront to kick off this large-scale development.

I can't get too excited for a Hampton Inn & Suites, but I hope Scott Enterprises at least does it right. Meaning, not some generic highway off-ramp Hampton Inn... which is an apt description of all of their other hotel properties.

They've been building this project up for almost 2 decades now, so they can't lay a big turd on a prominent waterfront location.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 4:18 PM

One note on this view...

The Richford Arms apartments (formerly Ford Hotel), dark brick building on the right of this photo is rumored to be coveted by EDDC in order to renovate it to market-rate apartments... thus displacing all current low-income residents.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 7:32 PM

I'd like to see the 6 story Old Masonic Temple bldg. ( mostly empty now) on the NE corner 7th & Peach sts converted to Apts. There's a city owned parking ramp across the street. A skylight atrium in the center pf the bldg. Also a huge open basement area that could fit a gym & pool for residents. Plus there are several small shops at street level.
Just 2 blocks from the new Erie Ins bldg. going up.
I think this could be a winner.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 5:43 PM

Quote:
I'd like to see the 6 story Old Masonic Temple bldg. ( mostly empty now) on the NE corner 7th & Peach sts converted to Apts. There's a city owned parking ramp across the street. A skylight atrium in the center pf the bldg. Also a huge open basement area that could fit a gym & pool for residents. Plus there are several small shops at street level.
Just 2 blocks from the new Erie Ins bldg. going up.
I think this could be a winner.
Good idea. That building is perfect for a residential conversion in Erie... layout, amenities, location are all pretty much custom-made for urban living. But I didn't know that it is mostly empty now... I'm not so sure about that.

It is still used as event space though, and believe that they've renovated significantly recently, so I can't see them all of a sudden changing it to apartments. Plus, the demand just isn't there yet for the kind of condos/apartments that would need to be built to make any money on the project.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 2:32 PM

New mixed-use development in Summit Township. Standard suburban schlock.

http://www.goerie.com/news/20180622/...ummit-township

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 2:49 PM

No surprise here. City Council wouldn't dare object to anything Erie Insurance proposes. The firm has had carte blanche to acquire, demolish, and build (mainly parking lots) whatever the hell they want to for a decade now. They're lauded locally for their preservation efforts of a few structures after levelling blocks of buildings in their land-banking efforts. I'm no fan of Erie Insurance's overly secure (and now sprawling) downtown campus, and skybridges will only further insulate the firm and limit sidewalk activity. Though I understand the greatly improved access efficiency they provide between the multiple low-rise buildings they've decided to build rather than construct a single tower. Whatever... I don't expect much in the way of sound urban design from an insurance company... and at least they're bringing 1,200 new employees downtown.

Erie Insurance gets City Council approval for pedestrian bridges

http://www.goerie.com/news/20180620/...strian-bridges

Last edited by pj3000; Jun 26, 2018 at 11:26 PM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 11:11 PM

Athough, not a downtown project well needed well needed in metro.

New ice, new name the ERIE BANK SPORTS PARK.

Teams of construction crews are working around the clock, to complete phase one of the ErieBank Sports Park redo .
The $9.1 million update will remove 2 soccer fields, and convert to much needed hockey rinks in the Erie area..
The (GREATT) Greater Regional Erie Area Team Training group completed the purchased the sports park last December 2017.
Ice hockey is a growing sport in the Erie area.
Many local teams were seeking additional facilities after troubles at the Glenwood ice rink.
Also include the resurfacing of basketball courts and updates to the outdoor soccer pitches.
The snow collapsed (after winter's heavy snowfall) is also rec'g an update.

Last edited by Erie Pa; Jun 26, 2018 at 11:43 PM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 11:23 PM

UMPH Hamot's $111mollion expansion slow but on going.

Tear down of 8 story Professional bldg slowed to keep dust & noise level to a minimum.
Dismantling should take @ 2 more months.
Then Hamot's infill tower to be ready by 2020.

From Erie Times-News
http://www.goerie.com/news/20180627/...-tower-project

Last edited by Erie Pa; Jun 27, 2018 at 11:41 PM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 5:41 PM

No huge development but a nice addition to the Bayfront/Downtown area. Grand opening today.
A floating bar/restuarant on east Dobbins Landind now joins 4 other eating/drinking establishments not including the Victoria Princess paddle wheeler for dinner & sightseeing cruises.

https://www.facebook.com/Woodys-Back...2318511826557/

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 7:32 PM

Quote:
No huge development but a nice addition to the Bayfront/Downtown area. Grand opening today.
A floating bar/restuarant on east Dobbins Landind now joins 4 other eating/drinking establishments not including the Victoria Princess paddle wheeler for dinner & sightseeing cruises.

https://www.facebook.com/Woodys-Back...2318511826557/
This is a great development in my opinion. The more activity down on the Bayfront the better for future development potential. Even though it's on the Canal Basin side, there will still be views of the Bay, marinas, and East Basin... will be cool to check out. Waterfront drinking/dining ... I'm there next time I'm in town.

Floating barge restaurant opens in Erie

http://www.goerie.com/news/20180628/...-opens-in-erie

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 2:43 PM

Rendering of rooftop bar on u/c Hampton Suites on East Bayfront:

Harborplace site plan

Color code:

Orange = Hotel (#1 is Hampton Suites currently U/C)
Yellow = Residential
Purple = Commercial
Red = Restaurant
Gray = Parking

Last edited by pj3000; Jul 10, 2018 at 2:53 PM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 10:05 PM

100 yr old bldg. downtown gets rebirth by original owners.

http://www.erienewsnow.com/story/386...r_ENNLisaAdams

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations