HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

View Poll Results: Is SEPTA doing a great job in regards to bus, subway, and commuter rail overall??????
YES 56 48.70%
NO 59 51.30%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 4:13 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWatusi View Post
wow, what a waste of money this would be
They should extend the waterfront line down to the Stadiums providing a second mass transit option for people going to and from the games.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 4:35 PM

pwp, what I was talking about was under Pennsylvania ave, adjacent to the parkway, if you walk down that street you will see that it still exists, especially near 22nd and Hamilton (near the old best western), you will see a bunch of cop cars parked in it. They were thinking of using it for the 52nd street branch subway, which was to tie in with the Schuylkill valley metro. I'm pretty sure it was a freight train line and never was intended to be used as a subway as the design. I could not tell you anything about the art museum subway station, although I have heard of it. Hope this information helps.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 5:14 PM
Hello.

Interesting, thanks much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorkishdork View Post
pwp, what I was talking about was under Pennsylvania ave, adjacent to the parkway, if you walk down that street you will see that it still exists, especially near 22nd and Hamilton (near the old best western), you will see a bunch of cop cars parked in it. They were thinking of using it for the 52nd street branch subway, which was to tie in with the Schuylkill valley metro. I'm pretty sure it was a freight train line and never was intended to be used as a subway as the design. I could not tell you anything about the art museum subway station, although I have heard of it. Hope this information helps.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 6:40 PM

All of a sudden, Philly is becoming much more two-wheel friendly. You've heard about the east-west bike lanes, but this new kind of snuck up on me:
Quote:
On-Street Parking Reserved For Motorcycles, Scooters
by KYW's Mike Dunn

The Philadelphia Parking Authority this week launches a new type of on-street parking: 60 spaces in center city are being set aside for motorcycles or scooters.

Officials believe a growing number of commuters coming into center city each day are using motorcycles or scooters to save gas, and increasingly many have been parking on the sidewalks.

To discourage the illegal parking, the parking authority is now launching a pilot program with 60 on-street metered spaces reserved for the smaller vehicles. This is the Authority's Rick Dickson:

"We're going to install spaces on certain streets in center city, particularly the southwest quadrant of center city, where there will be spaces designated for motorcycles and scooters.

Dickson says on block where the spaces are up and running, the authority will begin ticketing motorcycles and scooters that do park on the sidewalks. Until now, they've been looking the other way.

Dickson says as many as four motorcycles or scooters will fit into what is now one space. New meters will be installed to handle multiple vehicles. Dickson says the rates for the motorcycle-only spots will be one half of the rates for auto parking on that block:

"Some of them will be long-term parking for people who are using their scooters for commuting to work, and some of them will be short-term parking for people who are using them to shop."

Dickson stresses that this is a six-month pilot program which could be expanded:

"Once we see how this works, we'll replicate it in other areas of center city."

------------------------------------------------------------

The following list of locations of the motorcycle/scooter spaces was supplied by the parking authority.

Some of the installations are not yet complete:

1700 Sansom Street

1800 Sansom Street

1500 Chestnut Street

1700 Chestnut Street

1900 Chestnut Street

1700 Market Street

1900 Market Street

1600 John F. Kennedy Boulevard

200 South 17th Street

1600 Chancellor Street

1700 Locust Street

1900 Walnut Street
http://www.kyw1060.com/pages/5123020.php?

I ride a motorcycle, and this definitely gives me an incentive to ride in, instead of taking the car. Parking around Rittenhouse is such a pain, but if you can ride in and find a spot without any problems, while paying half the price....awesome! Besides, it'll give the city that oh-so-invaluable Euro feel, and you can't put a price on that

Philadelphia is not a city of palaces for the few, but a city of homes for the many.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 3:24 PM
The Doctor Is In

Yeah, the motorcycle spots are a great idea, but I have never seen a motorcycle in them yet.

The day I first noticed them however, there was a H3 hummer in all 4 spots.

Since then I have seen cop cars and delivery drivers in them.

So at least they are being used, I guess.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralGrad258 View Post

I ride a motorcycle, and this definitely gives me an incentive to ride in, instead of taking the car. Parking around Rittenhouse is such a pain, but if you can ride in and find a spot without any problems, while paying half the price....awesome! Besides, it'll give the city that oh-so-invaluable Euro feel, and you can't put a price on that
Not sure if i see things exactly the same way: This may benefit motorcyclists moreso than Scooter (Vespa) riders as you need to pay to park in these spots--which makes no sense as you can park Vespa's at racks and in certain areas allowed by PPA for free--far more convenient! But, if it's the Euro feel that you like, having a row of Kawasaki Ninja's (with the Biker Boyz hanging out nearby) is not exactly what you're looking for...

Plus, in much of Europe, those scooter only spots are free!

If Philly really wanted to encourage "green" eco-friendly transportation they'd do exactly what they're doing on each block, but allow Motorcycle & Scooter riders to park for free--as it stands presently, these things will remain empty as scooter riders will park in a location that's free and far more convenient to their final destination. This is another example of Philly ALMOST doing something really smart and urban, but just coming up a bit short.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Not sure if i see things exactly the same way: This may benefit motorcyclists moreso than Scooter (Vespa) riders as you need to pay to park in these spots--which makes no sense as you can park Vespa's at racks and in certain areas allowed by PPA for free--far more convenient! But, if it's the Euro feel that you like, having a row of Kawasaki Ninja's (with the Biker Boyz hanging out nearby) is not exactly what you're looking for...

Plus, in much of Europe, those scooter only spots are free!

If Philly really wanted to encourage "green" eco-friendly transportation they'd do exactly what they're doing on each block, but allow Motorcycle & Scooter riders to park for free--as it stands presently, these things will remain empty as scooter riders will park in a location that's free and far more convenient to their final destination. This is another example of Philly ALMOST doing something really smart and urban, but just coming up a bit short.
I agree with many points you make, but it's gotta start somewhere. If this begins the process of standardizing motorcycle and scooter parking, then I am for it. As it is, people figure out what works where, but there are no standards for the entire city. Free parking is certainly preferable to paid parking, and maybe we'll get there, but it has to start somewhere. Ofcourse the pilot is runing in the 6 coldest months of the year, so the timing is less than brilliant, but again...it's a start. Btw, not all motorcyclists are Ninja riding biker boyzzz.

Philadelphia is not a city of palaces for the few, but a city of homes for the many.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 5:29 PM

^^^^I agree.

And who knows, maybe PPA will learn the lesson. As we speak, i'm looking outside my window down onto the corner of 17th and JFK where the scooter only spots have been designated, and there are exactly zero bikes there.

About 50 yards away, near the corner of 18th and JFK, surrounding the Suburban station entrance is a pile of bikes, (almost sloppy looking) parked for free for the day.

PPA/The City should have at least had the foresight to offer the spots for free as an introductory promotion. Keep them free for a year or so, allow people to figure out locations and ease of use--then if demand begins to swell, charge a very small fare for 12 hour parking (like $.50).

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 6:40 PM

SEPTA second quarter ridership gains

First reported on SEPTA Watch: According to the American Public Transportation Association's 2nd quarter report, SEPTA is one of the few public transit agencies to have seen ridership gains over the past year. An overall 9.09% gain over 2008's second quarter with the following breakdown.

Commuter Rail + 14.02 percent
Heavy Rail + 8.49 percent
Light Rail +32.23 percent
Bus + 3.54 percent

I assume that commuter rail refers to regional rail and that heavy rail accounts for the two subway lines. PATCO reports an extremely modest 0.04% gain.

The APTA's report can be found here: http://www.apta.com/resources/statis...hipreport.aspx

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 9:16 PM

^ I thought the commuter rail was the regional rail and the light rail were trolley lines? That might account for the 32% jump. Didn't Septa increase trolley lines in the past year?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 3:31 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Muji, you assume correctly. kilbride, what trolley lines did SEPTA increase? Do you mean schedule increases?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 4:45 AM

They may have only started recording the 15 as light rail in the past year. I don't see how else ridership cold have jumped by a third.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 3:33 PM

Wow, impressive bumps all around. Perhaps PPA's parking rate increase in Center City had its desired effect after all. I doubt they just now started recording the 15, it's been running for at least 4 years now.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volguus zildrohar View Post
Muji, you assume correctly. kilbride, what trolley lines did SEPTA increase? Do you mean schedule increases?
I was referring to schedule increases not line increases.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 8:34 PM

This is what happens when I get bored. Fantasy Septa maps, here it goes.

Besides the Roosevelt Blvd subway I added a Northwest subway (Up 29th street) and a Southwest subway on Woodland Ave. It splits and will send half of the trains to Darby and the other half to Eastwick creating 15 minute headways on each branch. There is also a Overbrook Subway up Lancaster Ave. This line also splits and will create 10 minute headways to Overbrook and half hourly headways to Bala-Cynwood.

For light rail I combined the northern half of the 23 with the eastern section of the 56. I turned the 66 into a dedicated light rail line up Frankford Ave.

The biggest difference from other maps and proposals is the South Philly LRT which uses the vacant land under 95 from Oregon to Christian where it enters a tunnel that it will use under Chestnut street and then turn south down 22nd until it hits Greys Ferry ave where it will run at street level for about 10 blocks until it hits the PRR viaduct over 25th street. The southern part of this loop is optional or could be part of a later phase.

Here is the map http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...c6177&t=h&z=11

Last edited by Parkway; Oct 11, 2009 at 8:46 PM. Reason: Technical difficulties

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 2:47 PM
Loma Prieta quakesurvivor

Love the map....I would like to see the NW Subway use Henry to take advantage of the old MCP / Budd access, and the old subway box in the Henry Ave bridge, after crossing, could tie back into Ridge to serve the CBD of Roxborough.

The Woodland Ave would be a nice alternative to Eastwick; could even connect to airport, build a consolidated rental facility off site, and run the line to terminal b/c...notwithstanding the fare collection issues if you had a 'free ride' to the rental car center but no further!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 3:39 PM
Hello.

Very cool map. I asked this somewhere else on here, but where do you find information on rail infrastructure? Like, how did you know these lines could theoretically exist given the existing tunnels, etc? SEPTA only lists, obviously, those lines in use; however, I'm sure many more possibilities are out there considering unused tunnels/tracks/etc.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwp View Post
Very cool map. I asked this somewhere else on here, but where do you find information on rail infrastructure? Like, how did you know these lines could theoretically exist given the existing tunnels, etc? SEPTA only lists, obviously, those lines in use; however, I'm sure many more possibilities are out there considering unused tunnels/tracks/etc.
A good source for info on unused tracks, tunnels and never built lines is world.nycsubway.org. Just click on the Philadelphia link. A lot of information and history.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 4:45 PM

Work set to start on N.J. train center

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...in_center.html

Work set to start on N.J. train center

By Paul Nussbaum
Inquirer Staff Writer

Construction will start Monday on a new train station in Pennsauken to connect two of South Jersey's primary passenger rail lines: the Philadelphia-Atlantic City line and the River Line between Camden and Trenton.

NJ Transit chief Richard Sarles announced the start of work at a rare South Jersey meeting of the NJ Transit board, which convened in Camden yesterday for the first time in eight years. The board usually meets in Newark, but ventures to a different location once a year.

Sarles also outlined progress on proposals to add service and stations to the Atlantic City rail line and to create "bus rapid-transit" service on congested highways 55 and 42.

A ceremonial groundbreaking Monday is scheduled to mark the official start of work on the Pennsauken Transit Center, a $40 million project on Derousse Avenue, where the Atlantic City line passes over the River Line. It is expected to open by late 2012.

The project is being funded with money from the federal stimulus program. Sarles authorized the start of work following the recent go-ahead from the Federal Transit Administration, which found the project presented no significant environmental impact.

At the Pennsauken station, riders will be able to board either the north-south River Line or the east-west Atlantic City line and to transfer between the two lines. The station also will be served by NJ Transit buses.

Two 300-foot-long platforms will be built on either side of the Atlantic City line tracks, with stairs and two elevators to provide access to the River Line below.

The work is to be done in two phases. A $2.1 million contract covers River Line elements of the project, including a 200-foot platform with a 60-foot canopy. The contract was awarded to Northeast Remsco Coast Inc. of Farmingdale, N.J., and Arora & Associates of Lawrenceville, N.J.

The second-phase contract has not been awarded yet. It will include the Atlantic City line platforms, a 280-space parking lot, ticket-vending machines, passenger communication equipment, and resurfacing, curbing, and lighting improvements to Derousse Avenue.

On two other projects in South Jersey, NJ Transit is hiring consultants to study the best ways to proceed.

One is expansion of service on the underused Atlantic City rail line. NJ Transit will consider adding stations - at Woodcrest in Cherry Hill and at the Atlantic City airport - and running trains more frequently.

The other is "bus rapid-transit" service on Routes 55 and 42 and Interstate 676, busy commuter highways southeast of Camden. The study will examine the possibility of dedicated lanes and traffic-signal timing to allow buses to travel more quickly.

Sarles declined to predict when either project might be finished. The studies will start early next year.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyscooter View Post
Love the map....I would like to see the NW Subway use Henry to take advantage of the old MCP / Budd access, and the old subway box in the Henry Ave bridge, after crossing, could tie back into Ridge to serve the CBD of Roxborough.

The Woodland Ave would be a nice alternative to Eastwick; could even connect to airport, build a consolidated rental facility off site, and run the line to terminal b/c...notwithstanding the fare collection issues if you had a 'free ride' to the rental car center but no further!
Thanks! I didn't know about the subway box on Henry Ave, it looks like it Henry to Ridge would provide more complete service to East Falls and Philadelphia University.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation