HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 1:43 AM
armchairitect

[Halifax] Richmond Yards | 103-47-41-40-32 m | 31-13-12-10-8 fl | U/C

Westwood held an open house tonight for their proposed Midtown North development at the corner of Robie and Almon. - feedback site is available at http://wspengage.com/midtown-north
Here are some shots of the Display Boards

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 12:43 PM

That is a pretty ambitious project. Not sure if I like it or not.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 1:23 PM

I'll want to see more street-level renderings, but it's a lot better than what's there now.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 1:34 PM

I' glad that the four buildings north of St. Albans would remain.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 1:40 PM

Overall I like it. The tower designs, if they end up anything like the concept, will be interesting and relatively unique to the area.

There's nothing there of any real historical or architectural significance, so no losses. It would bring a lot more people and modern, functional commercial space to the area. Seems like a big net improvement if it happens.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 4:08 PM
we built this city

Wow. Perfect for the area, especially the corner Robie and Allan!

Build it!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 12:04 AM

I'm curious about the materials that will be used on the exterior. Looks good though!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 12:40 PM

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 8:03 PM

The "Gladstone Stairs" look fun (and not like the Killer (TM) type). I hope they don't get value-engineered out.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
The "Gladstone Stairs" look fun (and not like the Killer (TM) type). I hope they don't get value-engineered out.
No doubt that the Cycling Coalition will claim they are not friendly to bicycles and demand they be replaced by an overhead ramp at millions of dollars in cost.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
No doubt that the Cycling Coalition will claim they are not friendly to bicycles and demand they be replaced by an overhead ramp at millions of dollars in cost.
Easy fix:

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Easy fix:

I'd love to see the "fail videos" recorded when people on bikes try to ride down that. I'm wincing as I type.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 7:59 PM

"Sailor Hairy's Beard Oil" lol

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 12:55 PM

So replace all those nice building renderings with a bunch of these:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.65590...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
So replace all those nice building renderings with a bunch of these:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.65590...7i13312!8i6656
No. The Midtown North area is part of the Young Street Centre, so heights can go much higher. Most of the Midtown North block is in the 11-15 storeys category in the most recent draft.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 12:42 AM

This developer (Westwood Group) is currently finishing the Doyle on Spring Garden. I suspect they will move their attention to the former Ben's Bakery site once the Doyle is winding down. I would say this development will be competing with their proposal for the former Cruickshank's Funeral Home on Robie as far as which one follows Ben's. It's not terribly common for local developer's to complete multiple large scale projects simultaneously. Usually one starts as the previous one is wrapping up. Its less of a drain on finances and staff resources.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 7:13 PM

A friend shared a post the other day that appears to have some bearing regarding this development. She is active in the local film community and her colleague had posted a plea for help in finding a new space for his sound studio co-op. His landlord, Midtown North, was not renewing leases for their properties on Almon Street and the reason given in the letter was that they "were prepared to move forward with the redevelopment". All leases must be surrendered by the end of September.

So while unfortunate news for him, it's a positive sign for this development.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 10:27 PM

The details for this have been unveiled.

Case 20871 Details

"Three buildings (A, B and C) are proposed in the first phase with a later phase that will also consist of three buildings (D, E and F).

• Building A: located in the centre of the site, includes a two-storey podium containing commercial uses (retail and/or office), and a residential tower located above the podium. The tower is oriented towards Almon Street and is 291 ft. / 88.7 m. in height (27-storey tower, 2-storey podium).
• Building B: located in the centre of the site, includes a two-storey podium containing commercial uses (retail and office), and a residential tower located above the podium. The tower is oriented towards St. Albans Street and is 120 ft. / 36.6 m. in height (10-storey tower, 2-storey podium). Building B is connected to Building A by an enclosed pedway at the second level of the podium.
• Building C: commercial building that is 94 ft. / 28.7 m. in height (7 storeys). Commercial retail uses are proposed at ground level and office uses are proposed within the storeys above grade.

Future Development

• Building D: fronts on Almon Street and runs parallel to the western boundary of the site. Primarily residential building with townhouse-style units at ground level along the extension of Clifton Street. Commercial/retail uses at the ground level along Almon Street. Proposed building height of 120 ft. / 36.6 m. on Almon Street, and 76 ft. / 23 m. along the Clifton Street extension (10-storey tower, 7-storey podium configuration).
• Building E: is located near the intersection of Clifton and St. Albans Streets. This building is intended to be for commercial and/or community use, and is proposed at 4 storeys in height.
• Building F: is a commercial building fronting on Almon Street at the northeastern portion of the site. This building is intended to have a footprint of approximately 2,250 ft2 and a maximum height of 35 ft./11 m. in height (2 to 3- storey building)."

- Copied from Halifax.ca (link above).

I have to say this much more impressive than I was expecting. A development of this scale could revitalize the entire area and help expand the positive changes already occuring to the south and east. Add this project, recently completed nearby projects like Point North and 2814 Isleville, and the numerous proposed/approved projects in the Bloomfield area and Halifax will have a proper "midtown" area. This added density will support the infrastructure improvements planned for the area including Robie Street Transit Priority and Almon Street Protected Bicycle Lanes.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
... I have to say this much more impressive than I was expecting. A development of this scale could revitalize the entire area and help expand the positive changes already occuring to the south and east. Add this project, recently completed nearby projects like Point North and 2814 Isleville, and the numerous proposed/approved projects in the Bloomfield area and Halifax will have a proper "midtown" area. This added density will support the infrastructure improvements planned for the area including Robie Street Transit Priority and Almon Street Protected Bicycle Lanes.
I understand that there were property ownership issues that changed this proposal... I liked the previous version that held the corner across from the crappy suburban-style Shoppers Drug Mart with a significant mass. Happy to see some development here, disappointed that they weren't able to build all the way out to Robie St., where fixing the parking lot as street front would have been nice. Sad to see the old bus terminal go - I always thought it was a cool building.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
I understand that there were property ownership issues that changed this proposal... I liked the previous version that held the corner across from the crappy suburban-style Shoppers Drug Mart with a significant mass. Happy to see some development here, disappointed that they weren't able to build all the way out to Robie St., where fixing the parking lot as street front would have been nice. Sad to see the old bus terminal go - I always thought it was a cool building.
Yes, that's unfortunate. It would have been better if Danny could have gotten right to the corner of Robie. The existing use is not the greatest.

I wonder how long it will take for the usual suspects to start singing the chorus of "It's Too TALL!!!"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth