HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

The Dale in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 7:36 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post
The link is either broken or my computer is messed up - can anyone paste the new rendering in a message if they have access to the link? Thanks!
There are no new renderings yet, but the following elevations will give you a sense of what they're now proposing:

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 1:33 AM

Ugh. I'm utterly disappointed. These squat little Ottawa condos are getting tiresome...

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post
The link is either broken or my computer is messed up - can anyone paste the new rendering in a message if they have access to the link? Thanks!
I can't access it either, looks like the link is broken

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveduster View Post
These squat little Ottawa condos...
112 metres is the same height as TowerC, the tallest building in Ottawa (at least until/unless George Dark's 40-storey-plus towers get approved at Carlong-Preston) not super tall by any stretch of the imagination, but still pretty tall.

DISCLAIMER: it's "relative tallness" doesn't make it look any less silly with its blue glass flat top. But this does lend some further evidence to the theory that TEGA will never build this building, and that they are trying to get this re-zoning so that they can put the land up for back up sale, now with approval for a building nearly 4x the height allowed in the old (meaningless) zoning.

Last edited by McC; Feb 4, 2013 at 1:14 PM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPukka View Post
I can't access it either, looks like the link is broken
Workaround? All of the application docs are accessible here (though most are out of date): http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__808D7V

Then click "Revised Drawings"

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 2:25 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Man, they had a decent design and they they chopped it down. I really hate this city and its developers sometimes.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2013, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
Man, they had a decent design and they they chopped it down. I really hate this city and its developers sometimes.
Hate the process that the builders/developers have to deal with when they're asking for height or desity changes. It's extremely inefficient, expensive and a complete deterrent to vendors trying to design something original and "cool". By the time they would have gone through the city and their approval process, the cost they would need to charge/condo is already very high, and that's not even factoring in the cost of materials, marketing, trades, etc....
If the approval process were to change, then you'd see chic, well-designed condos for non-astronomical prices.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2013, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
112 metres is the same height as TowerC, the tallest building in Ottawa (at least until/unless George Dark's 40-storey-plus towers get approved at Carlong-Preston) not super tall by any stretch of the imagination, but still pretty tall.

DISCLAIMER: it's "relative tallness" doesn't make it look any less silly with its blue glass flat top. But this does lend some further evidence to the theory that TEGA will never build this building, and that they are trying to get this re-zoning so that they can put the land up for back up sale, now with approval for a building nearly 4x the height allowed in the old (meaningless) zoning.
Based on their past projects, I would be more than happy if they sold their plans to aonther builder.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 7:24 PM

Stumbled on this ad for an apt for rent at 111 Parkdale...I'm guessing in the existing tear downs on the property. http://ottawa.en.craigslist.ca/apa/3611975965.html

Looks like they're not planning on building this anytime soon.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 10:52 PM
National Capital Region

staff report - recommended for approval - 32 fl | 105m (112m with the mechanical penthouse)
http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/view....s&fileid=45793

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 1:29 AM

So Place de Ville, is it 112 meters to the main roof or on top of the black box? As for the line of super-talls (in OT standards) on Parkdale; I don't think it's wise. It will look stupid and create shadows on Mechanicsville.

I think we should only allow super-talls for a Tunney's Downtown #2 project.

But that is my opinion and I am not forcing it on anyone else.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
As for the line of super-talls (in OT standards) on Parkdale; I don't think it's wise. It will look stupid and create shadows on Mechanicsville.... But that is my opinion and I am not forcing it on anyone else.
no, but they're forcing it on us! ;-)

I would really love to see Tower C's 40-year reign of terror as Ottawa's tallest end soon; but I don't see why it's too much to ask of whoever wants to put up Ottawa's new tallest (or to match Ottawa's tallest) that they justify why *they* should get that privilege, and with *that* particular design.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
So Place de Ville, is it 112 meters to the main roof or on top of the black box? As for the line of super-talls (in OT standards) on Parkdale; I don't think it's wise. It will look stupid and create shadows on Mechanicsville.

I think we should only allow super-talls for a Tunney's Downtown #2 project.

But that is my opinion and I am not forcing it on anyone else.
Ha ha ha. I do like your tongue in cheek 'super-talls' but if a major and underused road facing a major and underused parcel of near-downtown land located at a future mass transit nexus isn't a good place to put some 30 story buildings then where the hell is?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Ha ha ha. I do like your tongue in cheek 'super-talls' but if a major and underused road facing a major and underused parcel of near-downtown land located at a future mass transit nexus isn't a good place to put some 30 story buildings then where the hell is?
The problem I see with Parkdale is that it is not currently a walkable neighbourhood. Furthermore, it is already jammed with traffic. From an esthetics point of view, I prefer seeing a cluster of tall buildings as opposed to a wall/line of tall towers. Finally, these proposed towers are still a fairly long hike (500+ meters) to Tunney station, not to mention that Tunney’s will be a huge mess as a transfer station.

I believe that a better place for tall (30+) buildings is, as proposed by the Mid-Centre town CDP, on the edges of the CBD. Another good place would be Bayview and Hurdman if designed as a transit oriented, walkable area. Same with Tunney’s if properly planned. The intersection of Carling and Preston also works for me.

My list of good sites for 30+ storey buildings would greatly expand it the Confederation Line reached further out, if few stations (such as Gladstone and Walkey)were added to the O-Train, if the Carling LRT was built and if we had a proper inner-city subway (Bank-Rideau-Montreal).

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 5:24 PM

Approved at planning committee today.

Also should note that those 2-D, B&W elevations that were the only updated drawings posted by the city (see Rocketfish's post above), really don't do the revised design any credit. I wouldn't call it "world class" architecture or nominate for an award, but the recommendation by the design review to simplify the lines really produced a much more elegant tower. It should not look stumpy (if it ever gets built, that is).

More "also should note": from the udpated 111 Parkdale renderings, it looks like the design for 99 Parkdale (Urbandale/Hobin) has been further refined too, and to my eye it's taken on a bit of deco influence, especially at the top. It's not the Full Charlesfort, mind you, but maybe a bit of deco flair added to a contemporary design. No links to share, yet.

Last edited by McC; Feb 26, 2013 at 5:32 PM. Reason: update. upperdate.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Approved at planning committee today.

Also should note that those 2-D, B&W elevations that were the only updated drawings posted by the city (see Rocketfish's post above), really don't do the revised design any credit. I wouldn't call it "world class" architecture or nominate for an award, but the recommendation by the design review to simplify the lines really produced a much more elegant tower. It should not look stumpy (if it ever gets built, that is).

More "also should note": from the udpated 111 Parkdale renderings, it looks like the design for 99 Parkdale (Urbandale/Hobin) has been further refined too, and to my eye it's taken on a bit of deco influence, especially at the top. It's not the Full Charlesfort, mind you, but maybe a bit of deco flair added to a contemporary design. No links to share, yet.
Where are the updated renderings for this one?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
The City Planning Department's presentation on the zoning amendment had some; it's not online yet, but it should be posted here sometime soon: http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/mtgvi...doctype=AGENDA

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
The City's presentation for 111 Parkdale is finally online, and the updated rendering is on slide 14. (access directly here: http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/cache...3012352604.PDF the link to access it directly doesn't seem to work, or indirectly here http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/mtgvi...doctype=AGENDA and then click on the agenda item for 111 Parkdale).

Last edited by McC; Mar 8, 2013 at 6:40 PM. Reason: broken link

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 6:53 PM

Quote:
The City's presentation for 111 Parkdale is finally online, and the updated rendering is on slide 14. (access directly here: http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/cache...3012352604.PDF the link to access it directly doesn't seem to work, or indirectly here http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/mtgvi...doctype=AGENDA and then click on the agenda item for 111 Parkdale).
It has a Minto Metropole feel with a box/diamond shape instead of a cylinder. If this is built before Claridge's Icon it might be a new tallest on this side of the river.

Cheers,
Josh

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjagger View Post
It has a Minto Metropole feel with a box/diamond shape instead of a cylinder.
Yeah, that's a great description, I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're spot on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjagger View Post
If this is built before Claridge's Icon it might be a new tallest on this side of the river.
it would have been (at ~126metres) before they lopped off the proposed slanty top on request of the Design Review Panel; now at 112m it would be about equal to Tower C, so not a record breaker. (and also starting from a lower point above sea level, although that's doesn't count for the record books).

Last edited by McC; Mar 8, 2013 at 7:38 PM. Reason: Hey look! McC finally figured out how to post a picture!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa