HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 8:40 PM
Kickass User

I now have the floor plans, brochures, and pricing for the VIP launch. If you are looking for any of this information, visit my website and fill out the form (make sure to request the smart house info) and I will send it over.

In terms of pricing, note that they are making it sound like all prices will jump by $10,000 after immediate launch.

Notes:
-151 units from 315sqft (studio) - 586sqft (two bed)
- Prices range from $544sqft to $606sqft (for starting prices), based on the info I was given
- Parking is $50,000 - VERY limited **Only 12 spots - for units above 500sqft first.
- Bicycle Storage $500, available for all suites. **There are normal spots included for free, then these "extra secure" spots for a premium
- Maintenance fees of $0.53sqft (does not include unit utilities)
- Occupancy of March 2017
- Deposit Structure - $2,500 with agreement, balance to 5% in 30days, 5% in 120 days, 5% in 240 days, 5% due september 2016

I will keep posting more info on my blog, as it becomes available. Click here for the Smart House Ottawa area on my website.

www.MattRichling.com
www.NewPurveyors.com

Last edited by MattRichling; Sep 13, 2014 at 4:42 PM. Reason: New info on parking, bike storage, deposit structure

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 6:01 PM

Is there anyone interested in living in a micro-condo or who lives in Centretown and has opinions about this condo who is willing to be interviewed? I'm writing an article on them for Centretown News that's due Wednesday night.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissbouchard View Post
Is there anyone interested in living in a micro-condo or who lives in Centretown and has opinions about this condo who is willing to be interviewed? I'm writing an article on them for Centretown News that's due Wednesday night.
Do we have to live in Centretown to have an opinion? I've lived alone in an apartment that's 250sqft and I found it doable. Provided that these aren't too expensive, I wouldn't mind living here, actually.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissbouchard View Post
I live across the street in Central 2 (same developer). Feel free to shoot any questions my way.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 8:43 PM

I went to the Debating Density event last night at Knox for Architecture Week (actually I volunteered), and David Wex from Urban Capital said this is his last project for Ottawa. He said that development charges in Ottawa have gotten to be so expensive that it's difficult to make a profit or justify projects for many developers, so he decided to not purchase any more property to try.

He also mentioned how Ottawa's design tastes are more conservative. I guess he had a really nice design for Central Phase 1, but it was replaced with the current design to blend into the background because people didn't like it. But apparently a Toronto developer used that design and they won an award for it.

I'm starting to think that if certain candidates in various wards are elected we're not going to be seeing much development, especially not the "good development" they believe they claim to be advocating for. If that's the case, not just Urban Capital will pull out, but many others will become even more reluctant to build here (Mizrahi may not want to build here).

It was an interesting discussion last night with David Wex from Urban Capital, Emmanuelle van Rutten of Moriyama and Teshima, Jeff Doble of Perkins + Will Vancouver, David Chernushenko, moderated by Joanne Chianello.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
I went to the Debating Density event last night at Knox for Architecture Week (actually I volunteered), and David Wex from Urban Capital said this is his last project for Ottawa. He said that development charges in Ottawa have gotten to be so expensive that it's difficult to make a profit or justify projects for many developers, so he decided to not purchase any more property to try.

He also mentioned how Ottawa's design tastes are more conservative. I guess he had a really nice design for Central Phase 1, but it was replaced with the current design to blend into the background because people didn't like it. But apparently a Toronto developer used that design and they won an award for it.

I'm starting to think that if certain candidates in various wards are elected we're not going to be seeing much development, especially not the "good development" they believe they claim to be advocating for. If that's the case, not just Urban Capital will pull out, but many others will become even more reluctant to build here (Mizrahi may not want to build here).

It was an interesting discussion last night with David Wex from Urban Capital, Emmanuelle van Rutten of Moriyama and Teshima, Jeff Doble of Perkins + Will Vancouver, David Chernushenko, moderated by Joanne Chianello.
I was there as well.

He said that the original plan for Central 1 wound up being used by Freed Developments for Fashion House.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Just about every candidate in central wards who has a website seems to be pandering to the lowest-common-denominator NIMBYist "community association" rabble in their part of town. It's pathetic.

I have absolutely no idea who I'm going to vote for. A pox on all their "ZOMG TEH BILDINGS ARE TO TALL" houses.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-R View Post
I was there as well.

He said that the original plan for Central 1 wound up being used by Freed Developments for Fashion House.
No way! We might have met - I was helping sell refreshments.

That really is a nice building, and I'm disappointed we missed out on this opportunity. I didn't realize that was the one - thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Just about every candidate in central wards who has a website seems to be pandering to the lowest-common-denominator NIMBYist "community association" rabble in their part of town. It's pathetic.

I have absolutely no idea who I'm going to vote for. A pox on all their "ZOMG TEH BILDINGS ARE TO TALL" houses.
Yeah, this doesn't make me feel very good about Ottawa. It's one of the reasons why I stopped supporting Aubin (not that I live in Rideau-Vanier).

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 2:18 AM

Ugh. What a depressing tidbit of information in these past few posts.

Couldn't agree more about the pander-to-the lowest-common-denominator sentiment re: development amongst all inner-city candidates. Aubin, if elected, will be one of the worst. He'd be a male Diane Holmes, or Christine Leadman (going back a bit) if you will. And without the impressive verbiage of the former Clive Doucet.

I don't know about you, but electing a stagnatist isn't something I'm interested. This is the first election (of any level) that I'm seriously thinking of not going to the ballot box, because there just isn't any point in my area.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-R View Post
I was there as well.

That would have been awesome for one of the 3 phases, with the other 2 keeping with the brick and glass we ended up with.

Sucks to see one of the best developers leave the city.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 5:16 PM

Development charges for a condo are $9,610. The average condo price in Ottawa is $254,036 (http://www.ottawarealestate.org/home...wsrelease.aspx)

And I'm assuming the average price is even higher for a new condo. It is hard to imagine how a 3.7% development charge is making projects impossible.

More likely the Wex business model of buying parking lots on the cheap has run its course as parking lot prices have gone up too much.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
Ugh. What a depressing tidbit of information in these past few posts.

Couldn't agree more about the pander-to-the lowest-common-denominator sentiment re: development amongst all inner-city candidates. Aubin, if elected, will be one of the worst. He'd be a male Diane Holmes, or Christine Leadman (going back a bit) if you will. And without the impressive verbiage of the former Clive Doucet.

I don't know about you, but electing a stagnatist isn't something I'm interested. This is the first election (of any level) that I'm seriously thinking of not going to the ballot box, because there just isn't any point in my area.
I should specify something about Marc, as I am conflicted about supporting him and I kind of feel bad about it. I think that he's still a good candidate and a great person, and if you have to vote in this election he might be your best bet. He says he's committed to providing cycling infrastructure and dealing with issues that plague King Edward and Rideau, especially improving multi-modal transportation. He has been active in Lowertown as the LTCA president and on the King Edward Task Force, so he does care about his ward and isn't just some person who has come to task last minute to get elected, perhaps for reasons other than improving the ward. He is in favour of Arts Court redevelopment and supports the highrise development of Lees. He, much like most, supports redeveloping the Byward Market to make it less tourist-focused or more liveable for Ottawans, fixing up many of the problems that exist there.

For those reasons, he does seem like a good candidate who might be able to deliver on some very important and much-needed issues for the ward, and is worth considering voting for. But of course his position on other issues we might not agree with - and certainly that's where I am conflicted.

He wants good development, but we have different ideas of what's good or appropriate. I'm not convinced about his commitment to bring good architecture to Ottawa as he's focused more on urban planning and less on design. While most people will say they want good-looking buildings, I don't think he keeps up-to-date on what's good. I don't quite understand his position on student housing - there are some things he has said that really makes me feel like he's not quite as open to students living in Sandy Hill. There's several others that I'm not behind.

I don't know... There may be some positive changes after this election, but we might end up worse off as well.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Development charges for a condo are $9,610. The average condo price in Ottawa is $254,036 (http://www.ottawarealestate.org/home...wsrelease.aspx)

And I'm assuming the average price is even higher for a new condo. It is hard to imagine how a 3.7% development charge is making projects impossible.

More likely the Wex business model of buying parking lots on the cheap has run its course as parking lot prices have gone up too much.
I don't remember all of the things he said, but I don't think it's just the development charges that makes developing in Ottawa, though they're a big deal. He's not the only developer to talk about development charges, Doug Casey of Charlesfort spoken about how they're a deterrent for developing in Ottawa.

What was interesting is how David Wex spoke about how "certain other" developers seem to just flood the market with units without much concern.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 7:40 PM

Thanks for the bio of Marc Aubin, defishel, but he's no mystery to me, nor do I live in the ward.

A candidate with a community association background who supports cycling and will make demands of the city in a decades-long ongoing issue that won't see a solution for another eon?

That'll shake things up!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 7:41 PM

Quote:
I don't remember all of the things he said, but I don't think it's just the development charges that makes developing in Ottawa, though they're a big deal. He's not the only developer to talk about development charges, Doug Casey of Charlesfort spoken about how they're a deterrent for developing in Ottawa.

What was interesting is how David Wex spoke about how "certain other" developers seem to just flood the market with units without much concern.
It's probably the difference between developers who stockpile land (Claridge) and developers who buy a piece of land, develop it, and then go looking for another piece of land (Urban Capital). Domicile hasn't done a project downtown for years, possibly for the same reason.

Although, I would have and even harder time believing that Charlesfort is being impeded by development charges, considering how much those units sell for relative to to the development charges.

Maybe by "development charges" they mean the costs of development, which would include things the plethora of studies that have to be submitted with an application, the "community benefits," the OMB appeals, the legal costs, the many redesigns etc. I could see those being a big burden for a mid-sized developer.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 7:46 PM

This goes for anyone: when a candidate says they want 'good' development, it really (or most often) means they'll never come across a development 'good enough' for their ward, but it would be fine if you put in somewhere else.

Clive Doucet wanted good development in Capital Ward, and still ended up voting against everything that entered his community, even if it was a townhouse or lowrise.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 8:25 PM

Quote:
No way! We might have met - I was helping sell refreshments.

That really is a nice building, and I'm disappointed we missed out on this opportunity. I didn't realize that was the one - thanks for sharing!
I did indeed have a beer there as well, so we most likely did.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 2:54 AM

I voted in the advance polls (I'm out of town so often on short notice) I live in Sandy Hill, and voted Aubin. First off, I understand his flaws. He's a NIMBY and a nutter. But he was the best of the bunch and I refuse to ever not vote. At first I loved the guy and wanted him for mayor even but changed my tune when his NIMBYism became apparent. But there's qualities of him that I like:
1) He plans to call attention to pedestrian issues. While this city loves to talk bike lanes and transit pedestrians always seem ignored. For example traffic lights even in the inner city are always designed around cars and the timings make walking a PITA. Try walking around Laurier East/uptown Rideau for all your errands and you'll see what I mean.
2) He'll be a shit disturber. I like Watson, he gets shit done but his grip on power is strong. We need coucillors who will shake things up.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
I voted in the advance polls (I'm out of town so often on short notice) I live in Sandy Hill, and voted Aubin. First off, I understand his flaws. He's a NIMBY and a nutter. But he was the best of the bunch and I refuse to ever not vote. At first I loved the guy and wanted him for mayor even but changed my tune when his NIMBYism became apparent. But there's qualities of him that I like:
1) He plans to call attention to pedestrian issues. While this city loves to talk bike lanes and transit pedestrians always seem ignored. For example traffic lights even in the inner city are always designed around cars and the timings make walking a PITA. Try walking around Laurier East/uptown Rideau for all your errands and you'll see what I mean.
2) He'll be a shit disturber. I like Watson, he gets shit done but his grip on power is strong. We need coucillors who will shake things up.
Hmm you might have convinced me. Especially on pedestrian issues. As an aside I bike or walk to work and personally would prefer more attention be put on walking over biking lanes. I know he is very pro bikelanes too but everyone in this ward would be. Overall Hoping once elected (which seems likely) he will mature a bit on the anti-development.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa