HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 1:54 PM

Am I misreading this, or does the CH article imply a $54-million price tag for the project?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 2:20 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScovaNotian View Post
Am I misreading this, or does the CH article imply a $54-million price tag for the project?
Thats how I read it. It states the $18 million is a 1/3rd share. So Im just as confused as you

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
To plunk down a massive library on the best retail corner in Eastern Canada is the pinnacle of such clouded thinking, IMO. I know of at least one retailer that made a significant pitch for this corner. We are talking serious dollars. They could not even budge the city's thinking.

Oh, but wait... the library does have retail. A cafe.

My, how innovative!!!
Not everything on Spring Garden needs to be commercial to enhance the street. I think a new library on that corner could add a lot. If more people are drawn to the area because of the new facility, that's going to be a good thing for the merchants. Throw in the fact that it looks like the feds and province will help pay for it and I find it very difficult to see what's not good news here. Where would you put the new library anyway? Some isolated side street? Bayers Lake? A facility like this should be in a prominent Downtown location!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 4:16 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Here's an article from today's Daily News:

New library plans could start taking shape tonight

Halifax city hall could soon be cracking the spine on plans for a new flagship library in downtown Halifax.

Council is set to award a tender for planning consulting services tonight. The new library, which would be built at Spring Garden Road and Queen Street on land formerly occupied by the old Halifax Infirmary, has been talked about for years.

The idea was first introduced three years ago in a library board report to regional council.

At that time, the board was looking for a $26-million, 110,000-square-foot building to replace the 38,000-square-foot main branch on Spring Garden Road.

In the last few years, the size and cost of the proposed library have been rumoured to be up to 160,000 square feet and $30 million. But council has never voted on any particular budget.

Consultants’ reports presented to council over the years outline the prohibitive cost of heating and fixing up the 56-year-old main branch.

Despite its age and layout, the branch gets 400,000 visits a year, says a recent report.

It houses over 280,000 titles.

Last spring, the CEO of the library board noted that its library services section hadn’t started to budget for the building’s design and construction.

But Judith Hare was expecting money would be set aside for a building program and some conceptual design work by the end of this year.

The request for proposals for consulting services for the new library specifies that the library would share the space on its main floor.

About 7,000 square feet would be set aside for commercial uses, such as a coffee shop or a newsstand, and parking could be part of the lot plan as well.

( apugsley@herald.ca)

---

It will still be a while before they move forward with construction and it's not even clear at this point that they have the required land.

The posting from November 2007 above is more in line with a $54 million dollar price tag. Even so this should build an approximately 150,000-200,000 square foot building that could look impressive if designed by a good architect.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 12:44 PM
You talkin' to me?

A ‘milestone’ for city
New central library expected to be announced today

Halifax Regional Municipality Mayor Peter Kelly is calling it a “milestone for the community.”

Halifax is set to cash-in this morning as all three levels of government will be on hand for what is being dubbed a major infrastructure announcement at the Spring Garden Road Memorial Public Library at 9 a.m.

A new central library for Halifax is widely expected to be the big news coming from the morning media conference, featuring federal Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure John Baird, Premier Darrell Dexter and Kelly.

“All I can say is the details are being worked out as we speak,” Kelly said yesterday, refusing to talk specifically about what is being announced. “We’ll have the details hopefully by (this morning).”

“It’s probably a good hint,” he added when asked if people should draw their own conclusions based on where the event is taking place.

In April, the municipality listed a new downtown Halifax library as one of the “shovel-ready” projects they wanted to see get funding from the federal government and its money-rich Building Canada Fund.

The price tag of a new library would be in the tens of millions of dollars.

“A lot of work and discussions have taken place over the last few months,” Kelly said in reference to the announcement.

“About five weeks ago I was in Ottawa to meet with Minister (Peter) MacKay and Minister Baird on many issues of infrastructure and programs. This (announcement) was also one of them at that time.”

The Spring Garden Road library was built in 1951. At 38,000 square feet and with over 228,000 titles, it remains the largest branch in the region.

But the building has been experiencing problems in recent years, including mould and forced shutdowns this summer due to extreme heat, leading to a lot of talk about the need for it to be replaced.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 12:57 PM

CBC radio is reporting all the financing is now in place, with each of three levels of Government putting up at least 18 million each- the largest portion of $23M coming from the municipality. So that would put the total project somewhere between $59M and $63M. (Unless there is additional private-sector involvement)

Looks like the Province's portion is only $13M, resulting in a $55M project.

Last edited by terrynorthend; Oct 19, 2009 at 2:11 PM. Reason: additional details about funding

Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 8:29 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I agree that the corner could have been good for commercial development, although the stretch up Queen Street will be good as well, and there is development opportunity on both sides. At this point the process has taken so long that I am happy just to see something moving forward. That prime site has been empty for as long as I have known it.

The St. Mary's site could also be a major retail site. Another possibility would be new retail space at the base of the Maritime Centre.

How much design work is left on the library? They should be ready to begin construction if the funds are secured (it would have been a safe bet to put up a couple million for the design, even just from the perspective of getting the feds to commit), although it seems that government projects rarely work out like that.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
How much design work is left on the library? They should be ready to begin construction if the funds are secured (it would have been a safe bet to put up a couple million for the design, even just from the perspective of getting the feds to commit), although it seems that government projects rarely work out like that.
You may not be aware, but Queen Judith is having a design competition and has invited forms like HOK to bid. That may or may not result in a memorable design, but it will result in a memorable fee if they or any of the other international firms get the business. And of course, there will be a lengthy process to pick a winner to design this monument to her.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
You may not be aware, but Queen Judith is having a design competition and has invited forms like HOK to bid. That may or may not result in a memorable design, but it will result in a memorable fee if they or any of the other international firms get the business. And of course, there will be a lengthy process to pick a winner to design this monument to her.
And we'll end up with a lighthouse!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Queen Judith...monument to her.
So, what honestly has she done to you personally, for you to have this huge vendetta against her? It's actually getting kind of old Keith, I don't know if I speak for just myself or anyone else, but you're like a broken record that never stops. Give it a rest.

Do you always see every new project being proposed as a monument to ones ego?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
Give it a rest.
Nope. It needs to be said. She (and this project) are like a runaway train.

Quote:
Do you always see every new project being proposed as a monument to ones ego?
You know that the answer is no, since I have not said so regarding any of the other projects here. It applies to this one only.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 4:20 AM
we built this city

I think the recession is helping Halifax more than its hurting. I didn't expect to see anything for this site for years.

Lets keep our fingers crossed that the retail can be properly incorporated.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 9:21 AM

Maybe it's just me, but by classifying this project as "shovel ready" shouldn't one assume that it is in face shovel ready and therefore could begin the construction process in fairly short order?

It was my understanding that the stimulus money projects had to be completed in two years to qualify. Perhaps I'm way off and this money is from another federal initiative. Anyone have any idea?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 12:47 PM
Fizzix geek

One thing that I thought was very interesting in the CH this morning was that the city plans to sell the existing SGR Library site to help fund the construction costs. I had thought this was part of the common land, but I must be wrong.

Regardless, this quite possibly be a great thing for SGR (I can well imagine some higher end retail like Banana Republic snapping that up and/or a cafe type deal), but also fear a little for that property. At the risk of sounding like a heritage wacko, I wouldn't want to lose that building (the tacky addition aside) or the parkland in front of it.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 1:10 PM

Halifax is one step closer to getting a new central library, but it looks like the municipality will have to sell the old one to pay for it.

"Our own funds will be garnered through the disposition of lands in the downtown core that we have off of Spring Garden Road, plus this . . . building here, and that will bring in the balance of the funds that are needed," Mayor Peter Kelly said in an interview Monday at the library after the funding announcement.

Federal Infrastructure Minister John Baird and provincial counterpart Bill Estabrooks joined Premier Darrell Dexter, Defence Minister Peter MacKay and Mr. Kelly to announce funding for the $55-million facility.

It will be built at the corner of Spring Garden Road and Queen Street.

The federal government is expected to contribute $18.3 million to the project as part of the Building Canada Fund. The province will invest $13 million, which Mr. Dexter said was "budgeted in this year and the next year," leaving the municipality to come up with $23.7 million for the construction of the 109,000-square-foot complex.

Mr. Kelly told reporters he expects "about $10 million" from the sale of the old library, which "is part of the proposal right now for council to move forward."

The proposed library would include a larger book collection, meeting and study rooms, a 250-seat auditorium and computer areas.

The library project will create short-term jobs but will have a long-term effect on the region, Mr. Baird said.

"What a great and lasting legacy of this challenging economic time, where young people, every citizen of the Halifax region will be able to benefit from this for years and decades to come," he said.

But the three-level funding agreement hasn’t been put in writing and exactly when the new library will open remains unclear.

"We’ve been working on that for some time, obviously," Mr. MacKay said of the lack of a written agreement. "I think the Nova Scotia election had something to do with the timing, but it hasn’t held up project announcements. As you can see, we’re moving forward on a lot of joint announcements."

Mr. MacKay expected the project to be completed by 2011, but when asked to described how "shovel-ready" the library project was, he suggested that reporters ask the mayor and the premier.

"They’re the ones that bring the project priority list forward and we match their dollars and encourage them to meet criteria that will have these projects complete within two years," he said.

But Leo McKenna, chairman of Halifax Public Libraries Board, wasn’t so sure.

"Completed by 2011? No, I don’t think so," Mr. McKenna said. "We fully expect to be started by then."

The library board is evaluating proposals for architectural services, and once an architect is selected, they will look at sites and designs.

He didn’t know the details of the funding arrangement but said "I’m just pleased that it is being funded by all levels of government. They seem to have agreement on that. They seem to be ready to go."

Mr. Dexter said that the design phase will be funded as soon as possible, and "next year, we would want to see the project physically being started," he said.

"The most important thing is that we get the right project on the right schedule. If you’re going to spend $55 million on a project, you want to make sure you do it right."

Coun. Sue Uteck (Northwest Arm-South End) was concerned about the future of the library project after the funding for a four-pad rink in Bedford fell through. She had wanted a written agreement but said in an email Monday that she was told by city staff that the "documents will be signed."

City hall has been discussing a replacement for the Spring Garden Road library for about 12 years.

Built in 1951, the city’s main library encompasses 38,000 square feet. It has experienced problems with water leaks and mould and has even had to be shut down in the summer due to high temperatures and humidity.

In April, city council endorsed the central library as a priority when it submitted its list of top infrastructure spending projects to Ottawa and the province.

"We have a limited opportunity for cost sharing with our federal and provincial counterparts — without this — it would simply not be possible," Ms. Uteck wrote.

Coun. Dawn Sloane (Halifax Downtown) also supports the new library and said the new project poses no risk to the north-end branch on Gottingen Street.

"The children and the residents of my area go to that and it’s very well utilized," she said.

"It was just upgraded, actually, . . . so it’s not going anywhere, and something like this is just going to infuse more things downtown and again make us the downtown that we are."

As for the fate of the statue of Winston Churchill outside the library, city spokeswoman Shaune MacKinlay said "it’s too early to say because we don’t know what the plans are for the existing building."

The federal government also announced $31.6 million in funding for road projects across the province and $5.5 million for waste-water projects in Cape Breton Regional Municipality.

( pbrooks@herald.ca)

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 1:32 PM

Politics aside, library project is critical

By MARILLA STEPHENSON
Wed. Oct 21 - 4:46 AM

WHEN THE GOING gets rough, call in the cavalry.

That’s what the federal Conservatives did this week in downtown Halifax with a splashy announcement of funding for the long-awaited new central library in the federally held NDP seat.

It’s the kind of project that’s easy to support, has long been stewing on the books and, best of all, is not located in a Tory riding.

Given the long and laboured criticism across Canada about the Harper Conservatives loading their stimulus spending into their own ridings, including in this province, it was past time to start making amends.

So the plane landed and federal Infrastructure Minister John Baird made his latest stop in a cross-country campaign to pour cold water on fires of outrage that emerged as a backlash against Ottawa’s recent infrastructure announcements. And the federal government is, after all, borrowing the money on our behalf to mount this economic recovery.

And hey, did you see how happy Peter Kelly looked Tuesday in that photograph in The Chronicle-Herald? I’ll bet he had a different look on his face when the feds turned thumbs-down to his own pet project, a much-needed four-rink complex.

It was something about a wetland on the Bedford site chosen for the rinks — or something about a bunch of Tories who backed a competing project nearer to Fall River that acquired a cool $1 million from Ottawa — that left the city’s announcement in a federal Liberal riding bereft of federal ministers and federal money.

Yes, the city’s announcement on the four-rink facility was lightweight compared to Monday morning’s big splash at the old library on Spring Garden Road.

Besides Baird and Kelly, federal Defence Minister Peter MacKay was there, along with Premier Darrell Dexter and provincial Infrastructure Minister Bill Estabrooks. Everybody brought a chequebook . . . well, or promised to eventually write a cheque.

So the complex’s loss may the library board’s gain, and the news is good for a library system that has long laboured without proper facilities and had to fight competing interests in its own region to gain support for a downtown central branch.

I caught up with Leo McKenna, the chairman of the Halifax regional library board, on Tuesday in an effort to get a clearer picture of how the project will move forward. The cost-sharing for the new $55-million building will be $18.3 million from Ottawa, $13 million from the province and $23.7 million from the municipality.

The absence of an equal-thirds funding split is unusual.

"It’s really important to have a strong central presence to strengthen the network," said McKenna. "This will benefit not just the users in the downtown area, it will also strengthen the entire system and benefit the rural branches as well."

But wait a minute. It’s also worth noting that Monday’s announcement was billed as a promise to fund the building, but not an actual funding announcement.

"I noticed the same thing in the wording," McKenna told me in an interview. "You can count on us to work with the municipality to push for a firm commitment and make sure that all the i’s are dotted and t’s are crossed on a funding agreement so this project can move forward."

There are differing views on when the work will begin, with hopes that it will at least be underway by next year and perhaps completed some time in 2011.

It’s been a long time since the downtown branch was first deemed well over capacity in the 1980s and successive city councils began debating a replacement facility. Since the 1996 merger, the project has been completely dormant or fighting rearguard actions to bring council to a consensus on pushing for a new central Halifax branch.

Monday’s announcement may have been more about politics than books and a building at this point, but at least commitments have finally been given to advance a project critical to the social and educational development of our city.

( mstephenson@herald.ca)

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 5:58 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

So various levels of government may someday possibly opt to perhaps consider funding something, at which point they can continue lengthily planning a project that should have been finished a decade ago.

Either it's worth doing or it's not. This is not a complicated project.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 6:24 PM
Closed account

This just in: The levels of government announce they will fund the construction of a library at some point.

Whoop-tee-do.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 7:21 PM

SGBA Still Believes All of Their Customers Drive To Their Stores

HRM selling $21m in land for library

By CLARE MELLOR Business Reporter
Wed. Oct 21 - 4:46 AM
Halifax Regional Municipality expects to raise $21 million from the sale of a few downtown properties and it plans to put the money toward construction costs for the new central library.

Those landholdings include the current library site on Grafton Street at Spring Garden Road, two parking lots on Clyde Street and a piece of land on the old Halifax Infirmary site on Queen Street.

"Those collectively, as I understand it from staff, have a $21-million value," Mayor Peter Kelly said Tuesday.

He could not provide an individual breakdown of the properties’ worth. He said he mistakenly told reporters Monday that the current library site is valued at about $10 million.

"I misspoke on that amount because there is a portion of those lands (that can’t be developed) because there is an old graveyard or parklands in the front and we have to protect those," he said.

Council must first approve the sale of the properties. The municipality will then issue calls for proposals, Mr. Kelly said.

The sales also hinge on a land-swap deal with the province taking place.

The new central library is to be built at the corner of Spring Garden Road and Queen Street, partly on the old Halifax Infirmary site. The city doesn’t own the former Infirmary site but is expected to receive it from the province before the end of the year in a land swap. In exchange, the city would give the province the former Queen Elizabeth High School property and the old Birks building site on Barrington Street.

Spring Garden Road merchants say they want a role in any development of the two Clyde Street parking lots.

Bernie Smith, director of the Spring Garden Area Merchants Association, said Tuesday that the lots are integral to the success of Spring Garden Road.

"Those parking lots really have enabled Spring Garden to function for the last 40 years," he said Tuesday. "If they are removed, Spring Garden would be radically changed."

The association is putting together a proposal for the parking lots to present to regional council.

"We might in fact form a consortium, perhaps a co-operative of the businesses on Spring Garden, and develop certainly the parking component and maybe the whole of one of the lots in conjunction with a developer," Mr. Smith said.

"We are examining the potential. It doesn’t have to be a costly venture. What would be a costly venture is if the parking is no longer available to support business. It would be crippling."

Mr. Smith said the city holds the title to the Clyde Street parking lots but Spring Garden Road merchants invested in their development.

Mr. Kelly said the municipality will consider the association’s proposal, and parking will be an important aspect of any development plan put forward.

The sale of the land is expected to pay the bulk of the city’s share of the new library.

"We have to look at the overall cost without overburdening the taxpayer," Mr. Kelly said.

The federal government is expected to contribute $18.3 million to the $55-million library project and the province is to invest $13 million, leaving the municipality to pay the remaining $23.7 million.

( cmellor@herald.ca )

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 8:30 PM

They may also transform the old libary into a history museum which would be cool

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth