HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 7:01 PM

As someone else mentioned these 5-12 story housing projects are all beginning to look the same. Wonder if in a few decades there will be a term for it like rowhouses and brownstones of the past.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 7:44 PM

I think there's already a term for the style of architecture; it's call "Developer Modernism."

Some projects actually turn out looking really good. However, quite a few begin to look cheap and ratty in a short time.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post

But I really don't like how perhaps we are making good progress on density and street life our skyline is not showing any impact. It could end up being in 5 years our street life is 24 hours but from the sky it still looks like Circa 2000 Sacramento.
I like that Sacramento is making progress. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I hope the following isn't a false dichotomy, but... I would rather that Sacramento continue on its course of adding life to the streets (even if it's 5-10 story life) than wait in blighted hope for skyscrapers that aren't going to happen.

I think it's pretty clear that tall buildings are too expensive at this point to be viable. Yeah, a few may sneak over the finish line (with government assistance) every 10 years. However, the general trend is toward 5-10 story, wood-framed, concrete podium structures. I live in Orange County, which probably has a lot more wealth than Sacramento. Basically, all the new construction is 5-10 floor buildings. There are some taller hotel buildings by the Disneyland Resort, but there is (was) demand for them.

At least Sacramento has a true urban environment. Maybe the economics will change in 10 or 20 years, and Sacramento can have its tall buildings. In the meantime, Sacramento will have added project after project that make it livelier and more attractive to build taller.

Like I said before, there are plenty of undeveloped and underdeveloped properties in the central city. Plus, there is no requirement that every existing building has to remain. Sacramento won't run out of land anytime soon.

Last edited by snfenoc; Jun 29, 2020 at 2:54 AM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 10:33 PM

Just a link I found on the net about the new court house its a updated version of its first website

New Sacramento Courthousewww.sacramentocourthouseconstruction.com

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 2:14 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by novatone82 View Post
Just a link I found on the net about the new court house its a updated version of its first website

New Sacramento Courthousewww.sacramentocourthouseconstruction.com
Thanks for providing that, is this the first big one since the last boom? I think the important thing here though is that it's in the railyards!
I still don't like the idea of it looking like the federal courthouse but I guess it has to be like that?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 4:03 PM
BUFF$LUT

Alright who's gonna post the full article from SBJ regarding the new Township 9 plans? Does it come with any renderings? I hope they don't make it look all half-assed and suburby. That chunk of land has some serious potential to bring some flair and density to The River District.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownserg89 View Post
Alright who's gonna post the full article from SBJ regarding the new Township 9 plans? Does it come with any renderings? I hope they don't make it look all half-assed and suburby. That chunk of land has some serious potential to bring some flair and density to The River District.
I read the article...

There are no renderings and not a lot of specifics.

Basically, 29th Street Crapitol (a Chicago based developer) announced they are taking over a portion (or all?) of the Township Nine redevelopment project.

In their press release, 29th Street claimed they now control an unspecified portion of the Township Nine land, and they plan on restarting development this fall with 936 new multifamily units. Sacramento's development tracker does not currently show any applications to build in Township Nine; and it is not clear how much of the redevelopment land 29th Street would control. Also, there is no information on where the 936 units will be located, or how they would be structured. We do know that 29th Street already owns 18.3 acres within Township Nine, and they plan on building up to 1,400 multifamily housing units in later phases. I assume this announcement means they will own more land (18.3 + "X" acres) and plan on building up to 2,300+ multifamily units at Township Nine?

29th Street is also involved with The Mill at Broadway, where they are currently building 752 apartments (in phases). The firm is expanding its Sacramento development team and is making a huge play to be part of Sacramento's development future.

Township Nine, which is located within the River District, is a 65-acre development project that has been left to rot for the past decade. The only completed project within Township Nine is Cannery Place Apartments, an affordable housing project that received massive subsidies. Cannery Place was built at least 10 years ago. One could argue that the California Lottery headquarters is also part of Township Nine. However, I don't think it is technically is part of the development; the Lottery building may be within the River District, but not part of Township Nine. Plus, it was also built a decade ago. Regardless, Township Nine has not seen any development for a long time; so this is really welcome news. Still, I am not sure how good the project will be.

I can only hope that 29th Street is planning something really nice. However, if you look at the 82-unit apartment project they are currently building in The Mill at Broadway, it's kind of, "meh." (I think the 82-unit project is a phase of the overall 752 units they'll build, it's spread over three buildings, and it's 3 or 4 stories tall...meh.)

Last edited by snfenoc; Jun 29, 2020 at 4:30 AM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 8:28 AM
BUFF$LUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc View Post
I read the article...

There are no renderings and not a lot of specifics.

Basically, 29th Street Crapitol (a Chicago based developer) announced they are taking over a portion (or all?) of the Township Nine redevelopment project.

In their press release, 29th Street claimed they now control an unspecified portion of the Township Nine land, and they plan on restarting development this fall with 936 new multifamily units. Sacramento's development tracker does not currently show any applications to build in Township Nine; and it is not clear how much of the redevelopment land 29th Street would control. Also, there is no information on where the 936 units will be located, or how they would be structured. We do know that 29th Street already owns 18.3 acres within Township Nine, and they plan on building up to 1,400 multifamily housing units in later phases. I assume this announcement means they will own more land (18.3 + "X" acres) and plan on building up to 2,300+ multifamily units at Township Nine?

29th Street is also involved with The Mill at Broadway, where they are currently building 752 apartments (in phases). The firm is expanding its Sacramento development team and is making a huge play to be part of Sacramento's development future.

Township Nine, which is located within the River District, is a 65-acre development project that has been left to rot for the past decade. The only completed project within Township Nine is Cannery Place Apartments, an affordable housing project that received massive subsidies. Cannery Place was built at least 10 years ago. One could argue that the California Lottery headquarters is also part of Township Nine. However, I don't think it is technically is part of the development; the Lottery building may be within the River District, but not part of Township Nine. Plus, it was also built a decade ago. Regardless, Township Nine has not seen any development for a long time; so this is really welcome news. Still, I am not sure how good the project will be.

I can only hope that 29th Street is planning something really nice. However, if you look at the 82-unit apartment project they are currently building in The Mill at Broadway, it's kind of, "meh." (I think the 82-unit project is a phase of the overall 752 units they'll build, it's spread over three buildings, and it's 3 or 4 stories tall...meh.)
Hmmm, yeah I'm gonna go ahead and say this has meh written all over it. Recently rode my bike through The Mill, and while it does feel nice and clean, the entire aesthetic feels very generic and burby, trying to pass itself off as hip, downtown housing. I can already imagine what they're doing with Township 9.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownserg89 View Post
Hmmm, yeah I'm gonna go ahead and say this has meh written all over it. Recently rode my bike through The Mill, and while it does feel nice and clean, the entire aesthetic feels very generic and burby, trying to pass itself off as hip, downtown housing. I can already imagine what they're doing with Township 9.
Yeah, I think it's wise not to get your hopes up. (A 10 floor building would be a win.) Plus, there wasn't any mention that the project(s) will include a mixed-use component. There will be tenant amenities, but I don't know if the buildings will have ground floor restaurant/retail. It could end up looking like your average set of "Developer Modernist" hip and urban boxes with cheap foam and hardiepanel facades.

However, keep in mind that 29th Street Crapital is only responsible (at this point) for an 84-unit apartment complex within The Mill at Broadway. It's either completed or under construction. They are supposed to build 752 multifamily housing units at The Mill, but I doubt any building will be taller than about 4 or 5 floors. We shall see.

Bardis Homes and Ranch Crapital have built the bulk of The Mill so far. I've seen lots of news stories about The Mill; and I follow Bardis Homes on Instagram. They talk as though The Mill is this amazing project. I think the homes look ugly and cheap.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 10:05 PM

Any news as far as ground breaking on the proposed soccer stadium in the rail yard?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 10:25 PM

I'm torn on T9. Hate to see so much empty land there but I agree with everyone else's lack of confidence in 29th St's ability to build something other than bland mid-rises a la their recent Mill apartments.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 8:50 PM

About the MLS stadium. Yes I'm very surprised there is no construction or even no news by know. What is going on? Ive read articles stating that it's fully funded, and this was pre-covid. Plus lots of other projects have moved forward post covid.

And just in general what is going on with the Railyards, or even the river district? Besides the roads they put in relatively recently in the railyards there is no dirt flying anywhere and we are in PRIME construction season. If things were going to start, it would of been now (or better yet a month ago).

Unless there is complicated legal things going on in the background which we are not privy to, you would think building on empty land would be much easier and faster than building Downtown, yet we have seen multiple buildings demolished and built back up while the Railyards have stayed dirt.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 4:22 AM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
About the MLS stadium. Yes I'm very surprised there is no construction or even no news by know. What is going on? Ive read articles stating that it's fully funded, and this was pre-covid. Plus lots of other projects have moved forward post covid.
Project is 19-21 months and assuming Feb 2021 is the start of the season, 19 months (thinking optimistic) would be starting July 30. So unless they got some secret accelerated construction plan, it’s in trouble. Or perhaps it will start later this month and nothing is wrong at all

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 5:36 AM

Someone check out the site and take pics!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 6:50 AM

I enjoy American football period. the Stadium would be a nice addition for the railyards though.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 5:09 PM

I think the stadium will be built relatively quickly. The stadium was a part of the team getting into the MLS, I would be very very surprised if this did not get built. However, with everything going on it also would not surprise me to see it delayed--delayed, not cancelled. Out of the high profile projects this would be the least likely to get cancelled, in my opinion. No jinxing it!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 8:31 PM

MLS pushes Republic FC entry to 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
It won’t be surprise if the Republic join MLS in 2023 instead.
As I predicted Republic FC will now join MLS a year later. In a press release, MLS stated “in coordination with the expansion clubs, that due to the continued impact of the COVID-19 pandemic to all operations, the timeline surrounding new expansion entry into the league will be modified.”

To read Republic’s statement, herehttps://www.sacrepublicfc.com/news_a...ource=hs_email

Unclear when stadium construction begins but my guess they’ll wait until next Spring.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 8:45 PM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
As I predicted Republic FC will now join MLS a year later. In a press release, MLS stated “in coordination with the expansion clubs, that due to the continued impact of the COVID-19 pandemic to all operations, the timeline surrounding new expansion entry into the league will be modified.”

To read Republic’s statement, herehttps://www.sacrepublicfc.com/news_a...ource=hs_email

Unclear when stadium construction begins but my guess they’ll wait until next Spring.
Or Summer

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 11:13 PM

It was all but guaranteed it will be delayed since it was already mid July and they haven't started construction yet.

Although it says right in the press release its starting this fall.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 2:32 AM
4give me for I have Zin'd

No reason why they can't still start this summer or fall. They'll just have more time and less pressure to do it with is all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area