Originally Posted by Jonny 5 View Post

Looks like a bee keeper.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Reminds me of Cthulhu in the lost city of R'lyeh:

johncoulthart.com

komarckart.com
NOWAYINHELL THAT IS GETTING BUILT HERE!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrightguy0 View Post
I canthink of a better name than Green Bird *Ahem* Ladies and gentlemen, Queens and all may I present the next geat tower, Buckingham Phallus.

What idiot thinks that putting the most dildo like tower on earth on top of an old power plant?
Okay, now that is just sick.....

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrightguy0 View Post
Wow, that's just wow....... it's like they find inspiration in sex organs.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
That company is freakin digusting its not even funny. The Green Bird was bad enough, but the Subway Station just kills it.
No joke. This proposed crap needs to be eradicated.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 8:33 PM

This has to be one of the worst.

John Maryon Tower, Toronto
Proposed: 1971
140 Floors
Antenna/Spire 2,250 ft (685.8 m)
Roof 1,650 ft (502.9 m)

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVNY View Post
Stubbornness and arrogance.
These things also define me (and yes, Mr.Corbu there is one of my idols, i loath his plans though..).

I dont have too many friends .

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 9:53 PM

and Adrian, god damn, how do you not kill youself

Please people, as much as i love Art-Deco and all that, keep in mind this is the 21st century, would you have liked the people who brought you Art Deco to have built medieval stuff instead. Things should PROGRESS, one thing leads to another. Taking steps back is NOT progress. Alsop and Future systems (and quite a few others) are examples of bold people, taking the NEXT steps.

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 4:24 PM
BANNED

^^^ No, no they aren't. They are just making buildings that look like shit and calling it progressive. There is no philosophy or reason behind their work. Compare that with Art Deco and Modernism, and even Post-Modernism ( ). They all have complex philosophical definitions and motives, while Aslop just has a stack of raggy looking shit.

I you want to see someone who is progressive, look at Jeanne Gang, Kreuek and Sexton, Tadao Ando, and even some of the starchitects like Calatava and Foster.

These people are making and have made real contributions to the field whereas Aslop will be merely a side note to our broader movement of organic, environmentally, and nature-inspired architecture. Aslop's style of architecture will probably be as much of a side note to today's movement as Brutalism was to Miesian modernism. Everyone love Mies, whereas the vast majority of people see a Brutalism building and go "gee, what were we thinking" and "wow, that didn't age well."

I'm sorry but in the long run no one is going to praise a building that looks like a giant amoeba and has no positive aesthetic properties at all, just as very few people are turned on by an abrasive concrete wall with arrow-slots for windows...

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
^^^ No, no they aren't. They are just making buildings that look like shit and calling it progressive. There is no philosophy or reason behind their work. Compare that with Art Deco and Modernism, and even Post-Modernism ( ). They all have complex philosophical definitions and motives, while Aslop just has a stack of raggy looking shit.

I you want to see someone who is progressive, look at Jeanne Gang, Kreuek and Sexton, Tadao Ando, and even some of the starchitects like Calatava and Foster.

These people are making and have made real contributions to the field whereas Aslop will be merely a side note to our broader movement of organic, environmentally, and nature-inspired architecture. Aslop's style of architecture will probably be as much of a side note to today's movement as Brutalism was to Miesian modernism. Everyone love Mies, whereas the vast majority of people see a Brutalism building and go "gee, what were we thinking" and "wow, that didn't age well."

I'm sorry but in the long run no one is going to praise a building that looks like a giant amoeba and has no positive aesthetic properties at all, just as very few people are turned on by an abrasive concrete wall with arrow-slots for windows...
no there really is very intriguing philosophy behind all their projects, yes Gehry too! Theres a great series about it... wish i had links and more info, but, trust me, noone has a thousand monkeys on a thousand cad Desks doing designs hoping for something spectacular.

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 7:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1le View Post
no there really is very intriguing philosophy behind all their projects, yes Gehry too! Theres a great series about it... wish i had links and more info, but, trust me, noone has a thousand monkeys on a thousand cad Desks doing designs hoping for something spectacular.
dude, gehry is the most nonintellectual person in the architecture world.

and @nowhereman, i know you don't think ALSOP's work looks 'good', but he has a very strong modernist philosophy... you shouldn't so quickly dismiss him.

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post

and @nowhereman, i know you don't think ALSOP's work looks 'good', but he has a very strong modernist philosophy... you shouldn't so quickly dismiss him.
he does have philosophy! Well atleast he did when i was abusing a couple bottles of wine.

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
i bet your not a big fan of Future systems new Prague library:

Old Posted May 4, 2008, 9:37 AM

Quote:
i bet your not a big fan of Future systems new Prague library:

isn't that where the tellitubbies live?

Old Posted May 4, 2008, 5:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
Agreed, his work is bullshit and 90% of it isn't even aesthetically pleasing.

Quote:
Quote:
no there really is very intriguing philosophy behind all their projects, yes Gehry too!
Ok, so you guys say he has a philosophy behind his work, then what is it? I could very quickly tell you the philosophical differences behind all of the major modern movements, but what is Aslop and Ghery's philosophy?

For example, Structural Expressionalism is based heavily upon the idea that form follows function (as are many modernist movements) and that a building is made of steel, so why shouldn't we express what the building really is? Why not let it be what it is and show the inner workings, what holds it up, what goes on inside, etc... ( I know that's really dumbing down what SE really is, but whatever, you get the point) I don't see that with a mushy pile of used kleenex or a chunk of tinfoil that got dropped in the garbage disposal...

Old Posted May 4, 2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazycanuck View Post
isn't that where the tellitubbies live?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture