HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 7:52 PM

Would have liked to see...those planes are YUGE

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
Saw what I assume was a Lufthansa 747-800 parked at T5 monday morning. . . is that unusual? Also I was unable to find non-stop flights between ORD and FRA. . . must have to do with scheduling due to the current situation. . .

. . .
The Lufthansa 7478's come in and depart the next day with cargo. Lufthansa is operating several MD11 and 777F freighters daily to Frankfurt Germany also. Frankfurt is the hot route between Chicago right now for cargo. Not sure if Abbott has anything to do with it, but they are full of Pharma supplies and parts.

Hainan Airlines have been doing 7879 flights from the heart of China to ORD several times a week starting last week with cargo only. Saw the old copper colored Panda 7879 here today without Panda stickers.

The AN124 flights I heard came into RFD last week. They also came into ORD last December and I am sure will be back to pick up some oversized cargo again very soon.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 12:14 AM

Someone took this video of the El Al 7879 landing at ORD yesterday on its weekly cargo flight. We would have passenger flights to Israel if the virus had not ruined summer 2020.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwXd...7VMOmCUHY2yQCM

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 7:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
Someone took this video of the El Al 7879 landing at ORD yesterday on its weekly cargo flight. We would have passenger flights to Israel if the virus had not ruined summer 2020.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwXd...7VMOmCUHY2yQCM
Yes, you have wait for next few months. They will be on inaugural flight. If the coronavirus crisis improves. They will get better soon.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 9:27 PM

https://outline.com/bdhxMH

Quote:
City officials say O’Hare’s massive $8.5 billion expansion project is moving ahead. But bleak outlook for air travel could force it to scale back.

Chicago’s aviation department insists the coronavirus pandemic won’t curtail its $8.5 billion expansion plan for O’Hare International Airport, but the unprecedented decline in airline revenues may mean the city will have no choice but to reconsider the scope and timing of the project, according to analysts.

“If the airlines can’t afford this and don’t need terminals as large as they were, the city has a fiduciary duty to the airlines and to the community not to spend money they don’t have," said Henry Harteveldt, travel industry analyst and president of the Atmosphere Research Group.

With flights canceled, jets grounded and passenger traffic plummeting because of the coronavirus, the airlines — which are being counted on to help pay for the expansion — are facing their most severe economic crisis since the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

Travel restrictions and concerns about the virus have brought flying to a near-halt, resulting in billions in losses for airlines. The Transportation Security Administration screened 119,629 people Wednesday, down nearly 95% from the same day last year.

American Airlines reported a $2.2 billion net loss in the first quarter of this year and United Airlines reported a $1.7 billion net loss Thursday for the first quarter. In addition to slashing flights, airlines have been scrambling to cut costs, including capital expenditures and retiring aircraft early.

“Anything that doesn’t have to be done, any type of facility things that don’t have to be done have all been taken out of the capital plan for the next two years,” American chief financial officer Derek Kerr said during a call with investors Thursday.

Other airports have already said they were considering postponing multi-billion dollar expansion plans because of the pandemic, including DFW Airport in Texas and San Diego’s international airport.

The planned O’Hare expansion, the biggest and most expensive in the airport’s 75-year history, is supposed to be finished by the end of 2028. The plans include the addition of a new Global Terminal and three new concourses, and is mostly funded by passenger fees, landing fees and other income.

“O’Hare 21 is a long-term project to meet the airport’s long-term needs, as well as to address needed investments in the future economic growth of the City,” said Chicago Department of Aviation spokesman Matthew McGrath, in an emailed statement. “The Terminal Area Plan, the centerpiece of the capital program, is still in the planning and design phase and is continuing.”

But Harteveldt said if Chicago thinks it can forge ahead with the expansion without taking into account the new fiscal reality for airlines, it’s “living in an alternate universe.”

“Never before has our airline, or our industry, faced such a significant challenge,” American Airlines Chairman and CEO Doug Parker said in a statement Thursday.

“We are continuing to work closely with our partners at the City of Chicago on all airport matters, including long-term modernization,” spokeswoman Gianna Urgo said in a statement.

United issued a statement Thursday saying it is continuing to work “extremely closely” with the city on short- and long-term planning for O’Hare.

“For now we are jointly focused on maintaining cost efficient operations at the airport during the COVID-19 crisis," the statement said. "We appreciate the City’s partnership and look forward to continuing our joint long term planning work in the near future.”

But one sign the O’Hare expansion is facing stiff headwinds occurred at Studio Gang, the Chicago architectural firm leading the team that city officials, under former Mayor Rahm Emanuel, picked last year to design the expansion.

According to a source with knowledge of the situation, Studio Gang in March laid off five employees — four architects and one support staff member — who were scheduled to work on the expansion.

The firm “internally announced a hold on the O’Hare project,” the source, who asked to remain anonymous, wrote in an email to the Tribune. “This hold came from stakeholders on the airport project.”

A spokeswoman for Studio Gang, Elizabeth Krasner, declined to respond to that version of events and said Studio Gang continues to work on the O’Hare expansion.

Studio Gang is headed by namesake Jeanne Gang, designer of the curvy Aqua hotel and residential tower and the under-construction Vista Tower, a hotel and condominium high-rise that will be Chicago’s third-tallest building when it opens later this year.

In addition to Studio Gang, the Studio ORD team consists of Chicago architects Solomon Cordwell Buenz; Dallas-based Corgan aviation architects; Milhouse Engineering & Construction of Chicago and STLarchitects of Chicago.

The expansion will consist of a new global terminal and satellite concourses. The satellite concourses are being designed under the supervision of Studio Gang by Chicago architects Skidmore, Owings & Merrill.

The airport already has started on a $1.2 billion expansion of Terminal 5, which by 2021 will have 10 new gates and 75% more space for passenger amenities. Airport officials say this expansion is needed before the larger project can begin. The city also is working on the Runway 9R extension, and finishing a new 11,245-foot east-west runway.

Harteveldt said the economic crisis facing the airline industry does not mean a new terminal at O’Hare won’t be needed, but the timeline is going to be have to be explored, and possibly subdivided into new phases.

Even if the project moves ahead at its current scale, the city should consider pausing to see whether plans need to be adjusted in response to changes in the way we travel, said Seth Kaplan, editor of Airline Weekly, which covers the aviation industry.

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 7:46 PM

Saw Crystal Luxury Air was at ORD this morning on some secret flight. This has to be the most expensive to fly on airline in the world. They flew their 777-200 into Chicago yesterday and departed around 1pm today. Also Condor Airlines wich is now bankrupt has started flying cargo only flights with their passenger 767-300 airliners. Saw 3 Emirates 777-300's, 2 Cathay Pacific 777-300's, two Jal 777-300's, Lufthansa 748 and a TAP A330 sitting at T5 waiting for cargo only together today. I think one of the Emirates aircraft was for the special flights with passengers to Dubai.

Strange world, and that was just today at T5. South and Northeast Cargo is another world.

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 5:01 PM

Somewhat interesting statistic. Because of the Coronavirus impact to trade from Asia and the influx of medical supplies, O'Hare has surpassed the Port of Los Angeles and Port Laredo to become the largest import-export gateway in the United States, in terms of value.

Quote:
For First Time, O’Hare Can Lay Claim To Being Nation’s Top Trade Gateway, Behind Medical, Tech Imports

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrobe.../#4b6f307d49bf

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Somewhat interesting statistic. Because of the Coronavirus impact to trade from Asia and the influx of medical supplies, O'Hare has surpassed the Port of Los Angeles and Port Laredo to become the largest import-export gateway in the United States, in terms of value.
Not surprising and this should continue for atleast a few more months at ORD I think. LA will end up 2nd or 3rd with Loredo 1st due to the trade war with China, wich will only get worse in the coming months.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 1:11 AM
devout Pizzatarian

I was in River Park today for a picnic with my kids, and keeping my eyes skyward in hopes of catching a glimpse of the blue angels.

But then I saw something even cooler, a giant An-124 coming in for a landing at ORD flying due west over Argyle.

I don't know who (or why) is flying that rare beast into O'Hare, but it was definitely cool to see!

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
I was in River Park today for a picnic with my kids, and keeping my eyes skyward in hopes of catching a glimpse of the blue angels.

But then I saw something even cooler, a giant An-124 coming in for a landing at ORD flying due west over Argyle.

I don't know who (or why) is flying that rare beast into O'Hare, but it was definitely cool to see!
The An-124 isn't actually all that rare, with 26 in service. The An-225 on the other hand... that guy is one of a kind. Largest and heaviest airplane ever flown. I don't think it's ever been to O'Hare.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 3:13 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
The An-124 isn't actually all that rare, with 26 in service.
I meant rare for O'Hare.

In my 44 years of life, I've never seen an An-124 in the skies over chicago.

Last edited by Steely Dan; May 13, 2020 at 4:31 AM.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 2:51 PM
TL;DR

Good news for anyone who rides the Blue Line to O'Hare, the connecting tunnels linking T1/T2/T3 to the Blue Line station under the parking garage will be renovated. Which is good, too, because right now they feel like the sub-basement of a Soviet office building... This design is a little try-hard but certainly an improvement over what's there now. I assume they are meant to coordinate with Jeanne Gang's T2 design.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 6:03 PM

That is great news. Those tunnels are in pretty bad shape. I wish they'd also do a deep clean of the CTA station there while they're at it.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I assume they are meant to coordinate with Jeanne Gang's T2 design.
Sounds like they're still committed to building T2 the way it is

https://studiogang.com/project/ohare-global-terminal

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 12:49 AM

Emirates has been flying passengers already from ORD for several weeks. They will restart semi scheduled flights from O'Hare later this month. This is the only city they will fly from in the USA.

https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/emir...-destinations/

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 6:05 AM

Quote:
That is great news. Those tunnels are in pretty bad shape. I wish they'd also do a deep clean of the CTA station there while they're at it.
Yeah, I remember that. I was there before. I took on Blue Line to Clark/Lake station. Where my brother wait for me. I remember when I flew to ORD in 2011. I have go see him for a few days.

Yes, it's time to change. They will renovated it soon.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
Emirates has been flying passengers already from ORD for several weeks. They will restart semi scheduled flights from O'Hare later this month. This is the only city they will fly from in the USA.

https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/emir...-destinations/
I'm guessing Chicago is the only US destination because of the amount of freight that is in demand to come into Chicago now. The passengers "on top" are literally icing on the freight that is below.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 3:14 PM

Does anyone have photos or videos of what the current pedestrian tunnels from T1-T2-T3 to the Blue Line look like?

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago29 View Post
Does anyone have photos or videos of what the current pedestrian tunnels from T1-T2-T3 to the Blue Line look like?
Yes, they have it.

Video Link

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 1:07 AM

Illinois Tollway and Railroads have agreement paving way for Western Access

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation