HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Here is an interesting one...

LOT is going to begin 2x weekly service from Chicago to Budapest. (and 4x weekly to JFK) The first nonstop flights to Budapest from the US in many years.

This means that on peak days ORD could see four LOT 787s: 2x to Warsaw, 1x to Krakow, 1x to Budapest.
Do you know what happened the old airlines who flown BUD-ORD over years ago? Do they still flown it?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Do you know what happened the old airlines who flown BUD-ORD over years ago? Do they still flown it?
To my knowledge no airline has flown this route before. Malev used to fly from JFK and LAX but not ORD. I could be wrong though.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 4:13 AM

^^^ spyguy, was that just a release of higher res renders compared to April, or is there new information? Construction photos would be interesting to see.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
The CONRAC construction is still chugging along
Sorry, not sure how to display this link at a smaller size. (Any tips? I tried adding -small to the extension but it didn't work. Or, if anybody creates a new post with a smaller size, I'll just delete this.)

i.imgur.com/X1JkSnL.jpg

Last edited by denizen467; Jul 12, 2017 at 5:24 AM. Reason: Hernia from image size.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 5:21 AM

Another view. Same sizing problem again, sorry.

i.imgur.com/mzFr2r5.jpg.jpg

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 10:07 PM
TL;DR

^ Disappointing to build this thing with such a big distance between the APM and Metra stop. Even if there's no immediate opportunity for better Metra service, this is incredibly shortsighted. Flipping the site plan doesn't seem like it would have increased cost significantly... now if they ever plan a transit center here, it will have to rely on moving sidewalks like Midway.

Also a little disappointed that the "spiral" ramps are being built with faceted sides. Those things are kinda sexy when built right, as we all know from JHC and Trump...

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 3:25 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
^^^ spyguy, was that just a release of higher res renders compared to April, or is there new information? Construction photos would be interesting to see.
Just higher res.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Also a little disappointed that the "spiral" ramps are being built with faceted sides. Those things are kinda sexy when built right, as we all know from JHC and Trump...
The whole thing is rather ugly from the outside. I thought they were at least going to screen the exterior to make it somewhat pleasant, but must have ran out of money...

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 5:12 AM

^^ I had been thinking the APM terminus will be so far away from the Metra tracks that it actually raises the likelihood they might build a one-stop extension to get there. If they end up implementing some gold standard express train that uses this Metra routing, then it may be a practical necessity, or else nobody will bother to use the express train. Although I wonder what such an extension's price tag would be. However if no rail service changes occur at this Metra stop, then it won't happen and it's a waste of a layout as you say.

---

And I'll bet it's only negligibly more expensive to make precast concrete ramp elements curved rather than straight?

Totally agree with you guys about the aesthetics. Presumably this is just a result of a design-build competition, where the developer/contractor is using in-house design, and the client (City) doesn't have anybody advocating for good design because they view it just as some transit depot tucked away in a corner?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 5:17 AM

Let me just add that the main garage is being built in 2 phases, where a "vertical completion" will add 4 floors at some point in the (near or medium term?) future. Nowhere as technically interesting as good ol' BCBS ... but I think you can conclude that the forest of concrete stubs currently littering the roof level are actually the columns that will be extended.

CBS Chicago - O’Hare Getting $782 Million Consolidated Rental Car Facility - May 21, 2015

Here's to hoping the 4-story crown can perform some aesthetic acrobatics that nullify what's below.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 8:51 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Totally agree with you guys about the aesthetics. Presumably this is just a result of a design-build competition, where the developer/contractor is using in-house design, and the client (City) doesn't have anybody advocating for good design because they view it just as some transit depot tucked away in a corner?
As I understand, Ross Barney was selected as architect.

Not sure they had total control, though - they may have just been brought in to design the APM station and lobby areas. I think there will be some kind of decorative screening on the garage too, maybe something kinetic.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 3:31 PM

This is not by choice as it costs more to operate mainline flights on former regional routes, but it is still happening due to regional shortages. If fuel costs start to go up again this will start to eat into the airlines bottom line. Right now they have add on fuel surcharges with the lowest fuel costs in many years(someone at the DOT is not paying attention )

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...l-traffic.html

By the way, nice added service from Norwegian Air, LOT and WOW Air as mentioned above and on the last page link. Should add atleast a few new 787's into the ORD market.

Last edited by F1 Tommy; Jul 13, 2017 at 3:44 PM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
^^ I had been thinking the APM terminus will be so far away from the Metra tracks that it actually raises the likelihood they might build a one-stop extension to get there. If they end up implementing some gold standard express train that uses this Metra routing, then it may be a practical necessity, or else nobody will bother to use the express train. Although I wonder what such an extension's price tag would be. However if no rail service changes occur at this Metra stop, then it won't happen and it's a waste of a layout as you say.
A train that takes you an additional 15 minutes to get to the actual airport from the final stop is no express train and would be slower or equal to the existing Blue Line. Any 'express' train that terminates anywhere but the actual terminal complex itself is a waste of time and money.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 11:17 PM

^ Everyone complains about this but still I don't agree. I think saving 15 minutes is less important than clearing off the table pain points like crime, panhandlers, urine, breakdowns, earsplitting tunnel noise, vague timetables, unintelligible passenger announcements, drunken revelers or rowdy weekenders, being simply too packed to allow more passengers, and general unreliability, since airport trips normally require assurance of timeliness, safety, and some modicum of cleanliness and comfort. However, it is true that, to some extent, you could accomplish this just with comfortable purpose-built carriages running along the Blue Line with no stops and controlled platform entry at each terminus. So this Metra station routing may offer limited advantages over that, such as Ogilvie being a more desirable and workable downtown terminus compared to Clark/Lake, and the absence of line stoppages due to police action or malfunctions.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 4:07 AM

Quote:
^ Everyone complains about this but still I don't agree. I think saving 15 minutes is less important than clearing off the table pain points like crime, panhandlers, urine, breakdowns, earsplitting tunnel noise, vague timetables, unintelligible passenger announcements, drunken revelers or rowdy weekenders, being simply too packed to allow more passengers, and general unreliability, since airport trips normally require assurance of timeliness, safety, and some modicum of cleanliness and comfort. However, it is true that, to some extent, you could accomplish this just with comfortable purpose-built carriages running along the Blue Line with no stops and controlled platform entry at each terminus. So this Metra station routing may offer limited advantages over that, such as Ogilvie being a more desirable and workable downtown terminus compared to Clark/Lake, and the absence of line stoppages due to police action or malfunctions.
Yeah, I am aware of that. That's a problems. Those people is complaining about criminal, homeless, and a few others, as well. They should keep off the airport property. They need more police officer to patrol at ORD property or at the platform.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 9:46 PM

^ I'm not aware of those problems on airport property, but all bets are off on platforms in the city.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 2:58 PM

Air Berlin adding ORD-DUS (Dusseldorf) 5x weekly in May 2018, starting this route after Lufthansa ended it a few years ago.

http://atwonline.com/daily-news/airb...go-routes-2018

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 2:57 PM
devout Pizzatarian

the monster of the skies is coming to ORD.

Quote:
Airbus A380, world's largest passenger jet, making 1st regular O'Hare flights next year
Lauren Zumbach
Chicago Tribune

The world's largest passenger airplane will begin making regular stops at O'Hare International Airport next year.

British Airways will begin using the double-decker Airbus A380 on one of two daily flights between Chicago and London starting May 8, the airline said Tuesday in a news release.

It's the first regularly scheduled flight on the monster jet in Chicago.

British Airways and partner American Airlines already operate six daily flights between Chicago and London. Switching one of those flights to the larger jet will let the airlines carry nearly 20 percent more passengers across the Atlantic, British Airways said

"The addition of the Airbus A380 for direct service from O'Hare to London is great news for travelers in Chicago and around the world," Chicago Department of Aviation Commissioner Ginger Evans said in the news release. "Chicago is always looking for ways to offer our passengers new and improved options for international travel. Thanks to our partners at British Airways, we will bring more visitors directly to our city on one of the largest and most exciting aircraft in the world."
source: http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...808-story.html

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 6:36 PM

Next summer American is launching Chicago - Venice service on their 787-8. A new European destination to add to the list. Also confirmed that their seasonal Chicago - Barcelona service will return as well.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Next summer American is launching Chicago - Venice service on their 787-8. A new European destination to add to the list. Also confirmed that their seasonal Chicago - Barcelona service will return as well.
Good! Here's the press release:

http://news.aa.com/press-releases/pr...?sf106407158=1

Here's the flight schedule:

ORD-VCE 7:00 p.m. - 11:00 a.m.
VCE-ORD 2:50 p.m. - 6:15 p.m.

I think the timing is good. They can catch the cruise ships, but they won't be leaves after 4 or 5pm.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 6:53 AM

The Maps are new again-(wiki&google maps)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosemont_station_(Metra)
what are they building near this station
south of the new ballpark?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation