HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 2:09 AM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Yah the only thing they kept is the stair step facade and the (now out of place) vertical brick strips. The lack of contrast between the metal and brick isn’t helping either. As for the glass curtain wall, the designer should have known better than to even propose that. Even if they could afford it (so much more expensive that regular windows) that would make soundproofing between those units very challenging. That’s one reason you rarely see curtain wall windows in residential.
Definitely, I think using a lighter tone of cladding like in the original rendering or any other non-black colour would have made all the difference, and probably for the same price. The crowning would have given some depth too if it were kept.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 11:07 AM
Closed account

Barriers are now in place on South Street for the tower on the Northern side of the lot.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 8:21 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Source

It is the building in the foreground here:

Source

Another mid-block building is visible in these plans. Not sure if it's been started yet or when it would be started.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 5:51 PM

on south street where they are digging now it will be a new lowrise - in the Vuze parking lot the new company offices are beiung built so thats two new projects on that site with a 4th i believe in the roadmap somewhere

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 2:09 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

It is the building in the foreground here:

Source

Another mid-block building is visible in these plans. Not sure if it's been started yet or when it would be started.
This building on South Street is getting a pile foundation - not something I'd be too excited about if I was in the Vuze or Aya.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
This building on South Street is getting a pile foundation - not something I'd be too excited about if I was in the Vuze or Aya.
The residents of Vuze/Aya are constantly misslead either via not being informed of the remaining projects that will disturb them or misslead on timing at time of trying to rent a unit "6 months of construction left" has been a common phrase from staff for the past 4 years. Most recently Vuze tenants was assured the facade would FINALLY be finished january 2021 - here we are entering into April with the building not complete.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 11:32 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCK View Post
The residents of Vuze/Aya are constantly misslead either via not being informed of the remaining projects that will disturb them or misslead on timing at time of trying to rent a unit "6 months of construction left" has been a common phrase from staff for the past 4 years. Most recently Vuze tenants was assured the facade would FINALLY be finished january 2021 - here we are entering into April with the building not complete.
There's still another building yet to be started, West of the main tower, behind the James. I'm a fan of the new neighbours and hope the stretch of Queen between Fenwick and Victoria gets some densification. But from what I've heard it hasn't been the best experience for tenants moving in as everything is build.

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 1:15 AM
Closed account

Linking photos on mobile is a pain but the Vuze now has THE VÜZE in white type on a black background on the shrouding around the mech penthouse.

Which means that the highest point in this city is a billboard for the building beneath it.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 4:05 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 11:01 PM

How do people feel about the VUZE illuminated sign? I have heard mixed opinions and I'd be keen to hear peoples thoughts!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 11:29 PM
Volatile Pacivist

I like the vertical light bars but I could do without the wording. That's not something that belongs on top of a residential building. That example is even bigger and tackier than a lot of corporate logos on office buildings, and personally I find such things a bit more acceptable on a commercial structure since it is commercial in nature. Emphasis on a bit.

I actually don't mind it at all on hotels.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2021, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I like the vertical light bars but I could do without the wording.
Pretty much agree. The wording doesn't bother me, but it takes away from the clean look of the other accent lighting, and it's not necessary to advertise the existence of a residential building, so I'm not sure of it's purpose.

I like it on hotels because it helps me find the damn thing after a long day of travel...

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 2:24 PM

There is a crane being put up on the east side of the Vuze. Judging from the positioning it will be for the tower in front of it in the picture?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittle View Post
There is a crane being put up on the east side of the Vuze. Judging from the positioning it will be for the tower in front of it in the picture?
There has been a crane base in place for months. I had read it got tied up in a legal battle as the crane being supplied was sub-par.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
There has been a crane base in place for months. I had read it got tied up in a legal battle as the crane being supplied was sub-par.
Interesting! It did seem that the barriers have been up for quite a long time.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrian Laing View Post
How do people feel about the VUZE illuminated sign? I have heard mixed opinions and I'd be keen to hear peoples thoughts!
I drove out to Eastern Passage the other night and when you get off the 111, the lighting (and all the buildings) make QUITE an impact of the nighttime view from Pleasant St. Big difference from a few years ago. I wish I had taken a photo - I will next time.

Last edited by Half-Axed; Jan 14, 2022 at 6:05 PM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 8:18 PM

From yesterday, the new building next to the Aya and Vuze:

This whole complex is pretty rough looking.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalkid View Post
From yesterday, the new building next to the Aya and Vuze:

This whole complex is pretty rough looking.
Ugh. I don't even know what to say.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 8:26 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
Ugh. I don't even know what to say.
Buy shares in the company that makes this grey metal siding. There's probably going to be a lot more of it.

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 12:46 AM
Closed account

For context, almost the entire facade of the Aya and this building were advertised as being a glass curtain. Does not give me hope for Templeton's fit and finish planned for the Trinity site. More grey siding and odd proportions, maybe a neon sign.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth