HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 3:00 PM

Ground Broken Monday for Three EDDC Projects in Downtown Erie

Ground was broken today on the mixed-use building/parking structure that was planned for the McDonald's site at W. 5th and State Streets.

Exciting times in Erie!!!

https://www.erienewsnow.com/story/43...-downtown-erie

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 8:02 PM

Here's the latest renderings:

Defintely a game changer for the lower downtown neighborhood.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 3:52 PM
somewhere in-between

Great news! I am excited about this. Plus, it's nice to see a legacy firm like Albert Kahn Associates leading the design.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
Great news! I am excited about this. Plus, it's nice to see a legacy firm like Albert Kahn Associates leading the design.
Yeah, they did the new Erie Insurance HQ building and the master plan for the company's "campus" downtown. Since Erie Insurance is heading all the EDDC projects, I'm sure we'll see more of the firm's mark on downtown Erie in the years to come.

Which is pretty good... they're certainly not going to design "ground-breaking" or "cutting-edge" buildings, but they do solid, quality work.

Much, much better than one of the local firms in Erie who have been putting up awful crap forever.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 5:15 PM

This is pure speculation but I think the next spot we'll see the EDDC target is the parking lot adjacent to Richford Arms.

I think this is most logical next space for them to tackle considering it is in a prime spot facing Perry Square, as well as being across the street from the art museum.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jFug View Post
This is pure speculation but I think the next spot we'll see the EDDC target is the parking lot adjacent to Richford Arms.

I think this is most logical next space for them to tackle considering it is in a prime spot facing Perry Square, as well as being across the street from the art museum.

Anyone else have any ideas?
That would be a great spot. That fact that Erie Insurance has kept that a surface parking lot right on Perry Square for so long should embarrass them. Though I imagine that they are saving that parcel for campus expansion, given its very close proximity to the main buildings.

The one good thing about downtown Erie having so many parking lots is that there is planty of room to start over

I think the ability, whether by EDDC and/or other firms, to develop the lots on E3rd stretching all the way between Sassafras and Holland into residential with ground-level commercial will be the ultimate indicator of whether or not downtown Erie succeeds as a viable option for market rate living.

Last edited by pj3000; Apr 12, 2021 at 2:24 AM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I think the ability, whether by EDDC and/or other firms, to develop the lots on E3rd stretching all the way between Sassafras and Holland into residential with ground-level commercial will be the ultimate indicator of whether or not downtown Erie succeeds as a viable option for market rate living.
While I would love to see that lot developed, I feel like it would be a hard sell as residential.

Being located across the street from a hospital, having ambulances blaring, helicopter whirling; I'm not sure.

But what do I know?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 3:19 PM

Quote:
While I would love to see that lot developed, I feel like it would be a hard sell as residential.

Being located across the street from a hospital, having ambulances blaring, helicopter whirling; I'm not sure.

But what do I know?
I dunno, man... I don’t see how residential development near a hospital is a detractor. For someone who wants the comparative peace and quiet of the suburbs, no, it would be a tough sell, but that person has zero interest in living in urban surroundings anyway.

Residential development is so common near hospitals that it’s basically a given that it will be present in cities. If you live right in the city, you’re going to hear the noises of the city. That’s part of living in the city.

Modern Tool apartments are immediately adjacent to UPMC Hamot. The surface lot on that same block is not going to be any louder (and it’s not like Erie is some major city with the emergency hospital activity constantly going). But I've never lived right down there to know if it's really that loud. But having lived in Manhattan right near St. Luke's Roosevelt hospital, the sirens just became background city noise.

I was actually talking about the 5 lots stretching from Sass to Holland along 3rd, so from where the old rehab hospital is on 3rd and Sass, the lot immediately east of it, the lot behind 300 State, the lot immediate north of Modern Tool, and the lot surrounding St. Patrick’s. If downtown is going to revitalize and connect with the bayfront, these lots absolutely need to be developed.

Last edited by pj3000; Apr 12, 2021 at 10:15 PM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 10:13 PM

Some good shots of the Warner Theater construction:

Last edited by pj3000; Apr 15, 2021 at 6:18 PM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 1:02 AM

1201 Kitchen owner confirms new restaurant will be in West Erie Plaza

Well, we got confirmation today on where the new restaurant will be located: the West Erie Plaza.

While I'm sad to see them leave downtown, the West Erie Plaza is the second best spot for this new restaurant in my opinion.

There is an instagram page (@47muchachos) the owner made to document the progress of construction, but aparently "47muchachos" isn't the name of the restaurant. It seems they are being very "hush hush" on the details (cuisine, opening date, etc.)

https://www.erienewsnow.com/story/43...t4JurAa64WX9Ug

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 10:09 PM

View looking south of EDDC development lot on West 5th St between State and Peach Streets. With ongoing construction on North Park Row block in background. Nice to know that all this surface parking will become a mixed-use development.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Well, we got confirmation today on where the new restaurant will be located: the West Erie Plaza.

While I'm sad to see them leave downtown, the West Erie Plaza is the second best spot for this new restaurant in my opinion.

There is an instagram page (@47muchachos) the owner made to document the progress of construction, but aparently "47muchachos" isn't the name of the restaurant. It seems they are being very "hush hush" on the details (cuisine, opening date, etc.)

https://www.erienewsnow.com/story/43...t4JurAa64WX9Ug
Good news that they'll be opening up somewhere... and West Erie Plaza is a good choice as you mention. With all the redevelopment already there, and the planned redesign of W8th St., sounds like a good move. And will be interesting to see what typ of restaurant takes over the 1201 space.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Good news that they'll be opening up somewhere... and West Erie Plaza is a good choice as you mention. With all the redevelopment already there, and the planned redesign of W8th St., sounds like a good move. And will be interesting to see what typ of restaurant takes over the 1201 space.
Funny you mentioned that...

https://www.erienewsnow.com/story/43...-downtown-erie

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Good to see it will remain a dining spot.

But........ Local Eat and Pour ??!

Really? That’s just terrible. A terrible, lack of actually giving a crap name. Tells me a lot about the owner and the establishment’s chances of success.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 2:44 AM

Quote:

Really? That’s just terrible. A terrible, lack of actually giving a crap name. Tells me a lot about the owner and the establishment’s chances of success.
Yeah, the name is horrid lol

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 1:57 PM

Quote:

Agree... Dumb
Would not entice me to stop & ck it out.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 1:59 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Some good shots of the Warner Theater construction:

These really are some cool shots. Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
These really are some cool shots. Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 8:37 PM

While not new construction, restoration of Erie's tallest building is big news in my book.

The scaffolding on the central tower of St. Peter Cathedral is pretty cool. Last time this happened was in the late 1980s (I think??) when they were sandblasting the black soot off and repairing the sandstone and mortar. Now, the stone masonry is being inspected and repointed. Restoration work expected to last through 2022.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 12:01 PM

How many US cities still have a church spire as their tallest building? Would be an interesting game to play to see which is the largest metro area for that to be the case..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations