HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 5:32 AM
=)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
Although I am against most new highways, I actually think this highway would be a good idea. It would really help the communities along 99W economically, particularly McMinnville, by giving them direct access to I-5.

However, I believe that we really need to aggressively improve passenger and freight rail along the I-5 and 99E & W corridors along with congestion charging, otherwise we'll have to "improve" I-5 to 4 or 5 lanes in each direction to meet the demand.
Agreed...this HWY needs to happen........it could also be a step towards extending it up and over the hill between Forest Grove and Hillsboro and connect to the Sunset HWY, allowing the valley to develop

Stop building out, start building up, BUT DO IT RIGHT the first time....so we dont have to come back and fix our mistakes 50 years from now.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshYent View Post
allowing the valley to develop sprawl
FTFY

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 2:57 PM

Sprawl inducer that eats up farmland, that is all it will do.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 9:14 PM

Quote:
allowing the valley to develop
That is NOT a good thing.

PS - I can say that because I lived in Hillsboro from age zero to 19, when I moved to Portland.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 9:23 PM

Yeah, hate to beat a dead horse but developing the valley would be tragic.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 10:32 PM

Can you imagine? *shudder*

If we develop that valley, we won't be able to stop it. It will literally turn into the Inland Empire of Oregon... We'll make LA shake their head at the sprawl... I could see the sprawl stretching all the way from the west hills to the Coast Range...

It would be tragic.

But this road here has LESS to do with that eventuality... still, I'm personally always mindful of how easy it would be to just infect the entire valley between the west hills and the coast range.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 11:19 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Agreed...this HWY needs to happen...
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD View Post
Sprawl inducer that eats up farmland, that is all it will do.
Yes.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanL View Post
Can you imagine? *shudder*

If we develop that valley, we won't be able to stop it. It will literally turn into the Inland Empire of Oregon... We'll make LA shake their head at the sprawl... I could see the sprawl stretching all the way from the west hills to the Coast Range...

It would be tragic.

But this road here has LESS to do with that eventuality... still, I'm personally always mindful of how easy it would be to just infect the entire valley between the west hills and the coast range.
I honestly don't know if you are being sarcastic or not. Either way, based on precedant, yes this road here has MUCH to do with that "eventuality".

Old Posted May 1, 2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhome View Post
I would love it if taxes adequatly covered the costs of roads. The reality is, to have taxes pay for roads we would probably need to pay $10-$12/gallon at the pump (maybe more) or impose a street utility tax or increase registration fees even more, etc. These taxing options are not possible for most jurisdictions in the US.

Without adequate funding through taxes, using tolls becomes the best option for funding a roadway project. It is it is a direct user cost, and you can actually mitigate driving habits through congestion pricing if desired.
Totally agree. We pay taxes, but far too few to actually cover the costs of our road-building endeavors, particularly when it comes to maintenance.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 12:57 AM
Vancouver Moderator

North America's first public-use quick-charge station opens in Portland

Quote:
North America's first public-use quick-charge station opens in

Portland: 3-handed politician not included
By Thomas Ricker posted Aug 6th 2010 6:25AM

What's being hailed as North America's first public-use quick-charge station for electric vehicles has just been unveiled in Portland. The station, built by NEC subsidiary Takasago, is installed in a PGE headquarters parking garage and will charge electric vehicles with lithium-ion batteries to 80% in about 20 to 30 minutes. So yeah, it's public, as long as you've got a PGE badge apparently. Anyway, the grand opening was led by Governor Ted Kulongoski, pictured above carefully maintaining a safe distance while charging a Nissan Leaf. Guess you can never be too careful when pumping 50kW into a pre-production vehicle. Click through to see a video demonstration of the future, if we're lucky.

Update: We're being told that the quick charge station is installed in a public parking garage that is part of the World Trade Center building in downtown Portland (where PGE's headquarters are). It costs $3 to park, but charging is on the house. Thanks, Chris!
Source:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/06/n...on-opens-in-p/

View Engadget Video by clicking source.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 4:58 PM

a few more of these around the city and we'll be off to a good start on EV transitioning...I think it's cool anyways

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 6:57 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

A very early step toward better days, but I'm glad it happened here! Look at the leap cell phones made during the last 15 years. Who could have imagined in 1995 that cell phones would be everywhere in 15 years, and that cell phones would have cameras, GPS, not to mention internet. Let's hope THIS technology can become equally ubiquitous by 2025. Sooner would be better

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 5:12 AM
=)

I need to head out to the beach to check out the extensions. Has anyone done so recently? I would love to see the improvements.. =D

Stop building out, start building up, BUT DO IT RIGHT the first time....so we dont have to come back and fix our mistakes 50 years from now.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2012, 2:25 AM

New freeway bridge in Salem

Salemites want to connect some sort of freeway with a suburb across the river:

http://djcoregon.com/news/2012/08/24/proposed-salem-bridge-would-displace-homes-businesses/

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 10:17 PM
=)

Portland Metro Freeway News

More Westside bypass talk!

http://www.oregonlive.com/argus/inde...ves_secon.html

Few issues in Washington County can get people riled up as quickly as the mention of a westside freeway to move traffic around Portland's city center.

Motorists and business people complain of congestion and limited truck routes on the existing network of state and federal highways. Farmers and environmentalists rail at the thought of paving over agricultural land. But thanks to Hillsboro Mayor Jerry Willey, the idea may soon get a second look.

Back in 1989, the Oregon Department of Transportation led a Western Bypass Study (Metro Resolution 97-2497 - Western Bypass.pdf) that addressed north-south "circumferential transportation needs" in Washington County, including the need for a connector from Interstate 5, near Tualatin, to Oregon 99W. The bypass idea didn't gain traction, however, and a regional transportation plan adopted by Metro instead laid out an ambitious set of road improvement projects on U.S. 26, Oregon 217 and various surface streets.

Many of those projects have been completed or are still ongoing. Two examples: the improvement of Cornelius Pass Road between Tualatin Valley Highway and Cornell Road and, likewise, the widening of Oregon 217 to six lanes from the Sunset Highway to Canyon Road, with plans for more of the same all the way to I-5.

Now Mayor Willey wants state and local officials to reconsider a Westside Transportation Corridor (Westside-White-Paper-Final.pdf) that could potentially run from I-5 near Wilsonville to U.S. 30 near the Columbia River. The mayor recently commissioned a white paper on the project explaining why a new freeway is needed -- in short, to reduce congestion, create jobs, and to improve economic development in the region -- and has begun circulating it among state, local and regional officials.

As a next step, the city plans to submit a bill during the 2013 legislative session directing ODOT to undertake a "rigorous evaluation" of the merits of a westside corridor or beltway and present the findings to the 2015 Legislature.

The Argus commends the mayor for his leadership in reviving discussion of an issue critical to anyone who lives, works or commutes to or from Washington County. It's a valid question to ask if conditions have changed significantly enough to warrant a fresh look at future capabilities of the regional transportation network and how they might facilitate or impede economic growth.

At the same time, we believe strongly that supporters of a westside corridor or bypass face a steep climb in making their case for such a project. If the original proposal for a limited-access freeway was shot down by concerns over cost and the loss of farmland, imagine the price tag and environmental concerns now.

Plus, consider the strain on federal and state budgets and the backlog of projects that still await funding. Locally, Hillsboro is seeking $31 million to widen U.S. 26 between the 185th Avenue and Cornelius Pass Road exits; hoping to redirect $10 million in savings from the Brookwood/Helvetia and Glencoe Road interchange projects toward other improvements on U.S. 26; and trying to secure $9 million to widen Brookwood Parkway and improve Northwest 253rd Avenue.

Then there's the Columbia River Crossing project that has Oregon and Washington seeking billions of dollars from the feds to build a new I-5 bridge over the Columbia.

We're of the mind that it's generally better to focus on the here and now -- projects already identified as regional priorities in an era of limited dollars -- than get caught up in what-ifs and raise false hopes. But if Willey's calling the question costs relatively little, we think there could be a lot of good to come from that. A new study of a westside corridor could force the region to consider the tradeoffs -- or forever put the idea to rest.

Print publication: Friday, Nov. 30, 2012

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 1:51 AM

Luckily, there is absolutely no way this thing will get funding.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 7:09 PM
Semi-Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
Luckily, there is absolutely no way this thing will get funding.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 7:37 PM

If they do, make it a toll highway....

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 11:44 PM
=)

It is definitely needed. It needs to be an express way, with limited access.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 1:48 AM

No, it isn't.

Intel is still expanding without it. Nike is expanding without it.

Sure, traffic's bad, but has building more freeways made traffic in, say, Atlanta or Houston or L.A. any better?

New roads fill up with new traffic quickly and the "advantage" of more capacity, purchased with billions of dollars we don't have, disappears.

Moreover, despite any attempts to "limit access", there will be a huge amount of pressure from developers to expand the UGB and add interchanges, leading to ever more sprawl, and imprisoning thousands more people in a cars-only environment. A westside bypass would basically be a 1950's solution to 2012 problems. Don't forget that the gas prices we had when, say, I-205 was built are never coming back. And people under 35 drive less than any other preceding generation since WW2. And the baby boomers will soon be at an age where they won't be physically able to drive. Expanding sprawl westward would serve no purpose other than to condemn people who can't drive to a life of little mobility.

But, no worries: there's not a chance in hell this thing'll be funded. Remember the Sunrise Corridor in Clackamas County? 30 years ago my dad was telling me it was just around the corner. But it's still just a bunch of blueprints. The CRC, for which I think the case is slightly stronger, isn't going anywhere soon. The westside bypass isn't either.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure