HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 9:17 PM

Hamilton Roads

Noticed there wasn’t really a catch all thread for roads in Hamilton, thought I would start one.

The provincial budget today announced the province will be widening highway 6 from Upper James to the 403.

I know when that highway was built 15 years ago the plan was for it to be upgraded to a freeway in the future (as shown by the full width underpasses built). I wonder if this will be a full freeway upgrade or just be building another carriageway without the interchanges like Highway 6 in Guelph?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 10:09 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Noticed there wasn’t really a catch all thread for roads in Hamilton, thought I would start one.

The provincial budget today announced the province will be widening highway 6 from Upper James to the 403.

I know when that highway was built 15 years ago the plan was for it to be upgraded to a freeway in the future (as shown by the full width underpasses built). I wonder if this will be a full freeway upgrade or just be building another carriageway without the interchanges like Highway 6 in Guelph?
With all the growth in air-freight and the new facilities surrounding YHM, those extra lanes will be welcome even if intersections remain. I hope they would build at least one interchange though, at Book Rd. It is the shortest path between the 403 and Dickenson Rd. (via Glancaster) and the new builds northeast of the airfield may create demand for it... the city may have to upgrade those roads as well to support the truck traffic and alleviate tensions it will create for local residents.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 10:12 PM

From the actual budget document

Quote:
The widening of Highway 6 South from Highway 403 to Upper James Street in the City of Hamilton, from two to four lanes for about nine kilometres. This stretch of highway is a significant trade corridor and a primary connection from John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport to the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area via Highway 403.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 11:26 PM
Ham-burgher

Also from the budget doc:

Quote:
The expansion of Highways 6 and 401 between Hamilton and Guelph that will provide the needed capacity increase for Highway 401 and alleviate traffic congestion on Highway 6 — improving safety, traffic flow and network efficiency. Ontario will proceed with the next phase by constructing a new interchange for Wellington Road 34 on Highway 6 north of Highway 401 and relocating utilities. Early works are expected to begin in 2021.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 6:11 PM

When the original HWY 6 bypass was announced, it was to be a 4 lane highway with the capacity to be widened to 6 lanes. All crossing roads where to have a bridge across the highway with on and off ramps at Book Road, Butter Road and at the entrance to the airport. A budget was set and then they took 10 years to start it. Like everything else with Hamilton, the government of the day would not give any more money to the project except what was originally budgeted for. By the way the project was started in 2001 and completed in November 2004. The Premier was Mike Harris when approved for construction. Sounds like LRT! So the highway had to fit the budget. They cancelled the bridge at Book Road and put in a level intersection on an 80 km highway (first intersection from a 100 km highway) with it controlled by traffic lights. Then they removed the ramps from Butter Road. The Airport did not get a bridge over the highway and only one ramp with just a left turn lane into the airport. And lastly they took out the other 2 lanes that were to be separated by a median.

I know the airport was pushing for the extra 2 lanes. Traffic can be heavy, even in the early morning with truck traffic to and from the airport. They would also like a ramps at the airport with a bridge and ramps at Glancaster Road to open up the west end of the airport as the east end is getting full.

Hopefully they get what they were asking for.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 7:47 PM
Ham-burgher

I remember all that. The idea got tossed around for years, sometimes touted as the first leg of a freeway into Haldimand & Norfolk (doubtful that will ever happen though, especially not before the Indigenous land rights issue is cleared up... which is also unlikely to happen anytime soon)

I think initially the argument against a fully divided highway was that airport passenger levels didn't warrant more than a super two, but with the freight business taking off it's needed, not just for volume but safety too... I've seen some close calls with cars trying to pass trucks, and I don't use that road very often.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 10:20 PM

I think MTO still plans to extend it to the Caledonia bypass at some point, but any other upgrades past that are dead more or less.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 1:07 PM

In terms of City of Hamilton Road work this summer, Hamilton will be finishing up the widening of Rymal between Fletcher and Upper Centennial this summer, and will be building the Waterdown by-pass.

Barton Street is also scheduled to get resurfaced between Parkdale and Talbot (Red Hill Valley Parkway). That one is badly needed - specifically between Talbot and Woodward, the road is in unbelievably poor condition.

The city also quietly allocated an additional $5 million to road resurfacing this year in the capital budget. The transportation department is pushing for 5 million increases each year for the foreseeable future to try and address the maintenance backlog. The city is spending about $70 million a year in road maintenance right now but needs to be spending roughly double that to maintain roads properly..

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
In terms of City of Hamilton Road work this summer, Hamilton will be finishing up the widening of Rymal between Fletcher and Upper Centennial this summer, and will be building the Waterdown by-pass.

Barton Street is also scheduled to get resurfaced between Parkdale and Talbot (Red Hill Valley Parkway). That one is badly needed - specifically between Talbot and Woodward, the road is in unbelievably poor condition.

The city also quietly allocated an additional $5 million to road resurfacing this year in the capital budget. The transportation department is pushing for 5 million increases each year for the foreseeable future to try and address the maintenance backlog. The city is spending about $70 million a year in road maintenance right now but needs to be spending roughly double that to maintain roads properly..
Clearly what we should be doing is expanding the urban boundary to add more roads, and not incentivizinf density on existing roads to improve the property tax base....

My goal is to improve my community, the transit we use to get around it, and the health and happiness of everyone in it, and I realize these are all interconnected.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 3:43 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Clearly what we should be doing is expanding the urban boundary to add more roads, and not incentivizinf density on existing roads to improve the property tax base....
Or pay for it using transit money; nobody takes the bus these days. And screw the LRT... use that billion bucks on asphalt.

It's unfortunate that so many people do not connect planning with finance. They're different siloes in city government, but are actually integral to each other.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure