HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 9:59 PM

^Exactly, sorry if my first post offended anyone

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 10:04 PM

⬆ No problem...decent thing to say...

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 10:07 PM

Congrats Portland. I was up there for the first time ever last month and was not only blown away by the beauty of your city but also the incredibly nice airport. It's modern yet very open and and...um...quaint is maybe the word. It's big but not too big. It just gets everything right. If I had a reason (anyone want to hire me???) I'd move up there!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 10:16 PM

⤴What kind of work do you do? Where do you presently live?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 10:20 PM
Green Giant

Two in a row does not suprise me......PDX will be a tough act to overthrow.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 3:43 AM

The rumor for a second European flight was always KLM equip to AMS (amsterdam).

It's probably unlikely, but it would tag on with Northwest Airlines.

I can't imagine LH going into SEA, as they have flt to Vancouver, and there is euro competition already in the SEA market.

Portland got one bump in equip from A343 to the larger A346 this year...would love to see that happen all summer long in the future

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post
⤴What kind of work do you do? Where do you presently live?
I live in Texas and I'm a mortgage banker and broker but I'm considering leaving the industry just like everyone at this point, lol. Sadly, I was one of the good guys that treated people right and never robbed anyone. What do you do?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 10:18 PM

I am on long term disability.....a terminal heart thing... sucks but what can you do? If you decide to relocate to Oregon...welcome! By the way, my brother and sister-in-law own a mortgage company here in Oregon. Like you, they are the good guys.....things have definitely slowed for them but they are hanging in there....

Last edited by PacificNW; Oct 2, 2007 at 12:08 AM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 10:29 PM

I just received a response from the Port of Portland:

Subject: RE: Port of Portland Web Site - Contact Us
Date: October 1, 2007 3:26:37 PM PDT
To: dhcoa@mac.com

Thank you for contacting the Port of Portland. Lufthansa's
Frankfurt/Portland flight service remains strong and there are no plans
to discontinue that service.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 11:08 PM
Closed account

Quote:
I just received a response from the Port of Portland:

Subject: RE: Port of Portland Web Site - Contact Us
Date: October 1, 2007 3:26:37 PM PDT
To: dhcoa@mac.com

Thank you for contacting the Port of Portland. Lufthansa's
Frankfurt/Portland flight service remains strong and there are no plans
to discontinue that service.
The closest large airport to the Adidas World headquarters in Herzogenaurach, Germany would be Frankfurt. With Adidas' US headquarters based in Portland, the PDX-Frankfurt route will probably remain for a while.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 11:50 PM
Well designed mixed use

Adidas and Freightliner, which was German owned until recently but still maintains those ties.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 12:07 AM

I understand that Freightliner might be relocating their Portland headquarters to the east....sucks..

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 1:05 AM

When Lufthansa wanted to fly to the PAC NW the service was going to be given to Seattle, until a group of Portland Business men stepped in and gave them a alternative, thanks to them your flight will be staying around for awhile.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 1:34 AM

You're partially correct. Portland and Seattle were both in the mix "during the same time period of bidding" for the non stop service. Some Portland powers got together and made a financial offer that was difficult to refuse by the airline. I doubt if the airline regrets their decision or those making the offer.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 3:16 AM

Quote:
You're partially correct. Portland and Seattle were both in the mix "during the same time period of bidding" for the non stop service. Some Portland powers got together and made a financial offer that was difficult to refuse by the airline. I doubt if the airline regrets their decision or those making the offer.
And you're mostly correct . In addition to the guarantees (commitments to purchase tickets) made by local business to Lufthansa, the airline determined Portland to be a better market for them, over Seattle, partially because our neighbor up north already had service to Europe. Portland was an untapped market for direct service.

Sorry to butt in, I just don't want anyone to think that it was politics or subsidy that brought Lufthansa to Portland.

Now, shall we chat about Mexicana and their two daily flights to (duh) Mexico and how they chose Portland as their Northwest gateway?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 3:26 AM

I remember that being the case also....tks..

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 1:06 PM

Quote:
I am on long term disability.....a terminal heart thing... sucks but what can you do? If you decide to relocate to Oregon...welcome! By the way, my brother and sister-in-law own a mortgage company here in Oregon. Like you, they are the good guys.....things have definitely slowed for them but they are hanging in there....
Sorry to hear about the heart issue. Whenever I feel like complaining, I just realize that there are plenty of sad stories out there and I'm not unique, lol. I was actually up in Portland trying to establish a partnership with a fairly large builder. They ultimately went with Wells which wasn't a surprise. The slowdown is being felt everywhere at this point, including Texas which was previously somewhat immune to it. I would love to get back up there for more than a day though!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 3:02 PM

Quote:
I understand that Freightliner might be relocating their Portland headquarters to the east....sucks..
That's correct - to North Carolina. The employees have not yet been told which departments are moving, but news papers in North Carolina are talking about 2500 jobs moving there.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 3:30 PM

Food retailers hungry for PDX space
The Port of Portland fills vacant space with 4 new restaurants
POSTED: 06:00 AM PDT Tuesday, October 2, 2007
BY TYLER GRAF

The skies may not always be friendly – delayed flights, cramped seating, unruly passengers – but that doesn’t mean the airport experience has to be an exercise in teeth-gnashing stress.

With the addition of several new restaurants, Portland International Airport continues its goal of obtaining and retaining concessions that represent the Oregon experience.

PDX is in the process of introducing several Oregon-based eateries to its family of concessions. The list includes Rose’s Deli, Rogue Ales, Pizza Schmizza and Laurelwood Public House and Brewery – all of which are locally owned.

PDX develops its concessions in clusters and attempts to keep the flavors local, according to Scott Kilgo, concessions manager for the Port of Portland. “We want to provide a local experience for our guests,” Kilgo said.

This is not, however, a universal model for airports, Kilgo said. Portland is unique in the sense that Oregon has thriving restaurant and brewpub industries that specialize in local goods. And the attention given to Oregon-based chains over national chains appears to be working.

Per-passenger spending at PDX is $5.31 higher than the national average, according to the port. Gross sales topped $70.1 million for the 2007 fiscal year, with more than 67 percent of PDX passengers buying food or drink, the port said.

The port charges retailers about 12 percent of gross sales, on average, for airport space, Kilgo said.

Conde Nast Traveler magazine ranked PDX No. 1 among domestic airports in its October 2007 issue – the second consecutive year the award went to PDX. Concession owners at PDX said they don’t find the ranking surprising.

“This is a really terrific statement on the quality of the concessions program at the airport,” said Stephanie Jewel, franchisee of PDX’s Big Town Hero.

Although flying can be stressful, PDX attempts to maintain a professional, relaxed and profitable environment. The addition of free WiFi, heavily marketed by PDX (and a major factor in Conde Nast’s high ranking of the airport), is a major tool in getting passengers to arrive early.

“By providing that service, we make more money through concessions,” Kilgo said. And booming concession sales optimize the value of the airport’s real estate and assets, according to PDX’s information packet.

Kilgo said PDX’s concession success rests on maintaining a consistent vision, thinking like a consumer and the ability to target discretionary spending with the right mixture of shops and restaurants.
http://www.djcoregon.com/articleDeta...new-restaurant

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbear View Post
Now, shall we chat about Mexicana and their two daily flights to (duh) Mexico and how they chose Portland as their Northwest gateway?
LMAO, well if you want to play that game, who has Mexico's Main Airline (Aero Mexico) flying daily from two different destinations in Mexico???? Name that really nice city..................................

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure