HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2641  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 5:01 PM
Frontst17 Frontst17 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 203
Jobs jobs jobs. It would help immensely. And specifically not tech jobs. Get to work jobs that at least pull people out of poverty give them some spending money and a way forward. We made everything here and now we make nothing. And no one wants to hear about increasing the tax base to rise all ships. Total BS
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2642  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 5:30 PM
mcgrath618's Avatar
mcgrath618 mcgrath618 is offline
Exhausted Drexel Student
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Rodgers Park, Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I'd be happy with Domb or Reinhart.
Agreed. I’ve heard people say that Rhynheart would be better remaining at her current post, but she and Domb seem to be the only two competent and upstanding people in our entire city government.

Jamie Gauthier is mid. I’ve heard that she’s considering a bid, but I doubt it’ll get very far, considering she’s only served on the council for less than one term.
__________________
Philadelphia Transportation Thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=164129
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2643  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 8:19 PM
3rd&Brown 3rd&Brown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
+1

As A Person of color myself a lot of people looking in from out seem to misjudge the situation at hand, its almost so simple of a fix its complex now because the issues keep compounding on top of one another.
Philadelphia needs to focus on doing its basic functions well and get out of the way. A city alone can't fix all of a society's problems, particularly in a back*ss state with a $7.25 minimum wage.

And it sure as hell shouldn't make things even more difficult. You should be able to create a business with the click of a button and have a simple and coherent tax code that doesn't require a master's degree to understand.

Philadelphians love to co-opt national political messages and apply them to our local situation. Rich people should pay more taxes (nationally, with which I agree) in Philadelphia translates to no business tax reform and no construction abatement.

City leaders are completely paralyzed by these national party talking points (most of which I agree with, by the way, at the federal level) because they are utterly incapable of explaining how a simplified tax code or lower business taxes in Philadelphia helps everyone. Instead, it's interpreted as a "hand out" to the rich or something else ludicrous.

I'm not sure if it's because they're stupid, lack conviction, or have absolutely no imagination. But its endemic in Philadelphia politicians.

If Nutter had the tax revenues and stimulus Kenney had, he would have used this moment to completely transform this city.

Competence matters.

Kenney just pissed it down the drain.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2644  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 1:22 AM
cardeza cardeza is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Philadelphia needs to focus on doing its basic functions well and get out of the way. A city alone can't fix all of a society's problems, particularly in a back*ss state with a $7.25 minimum wage.

And it sure as hell shouldn't make things even more difficult. You should be able to create a business with the click of a button and have a simple and coherent tax code that doesn't require a master's degree to understand.

Philadelphians love to co-opt national political messages and apply them to our local situation. Rich people should pay more taxes (nationally, with which I agree) in Philadelphia translates to no business tax reform and no construction abatement.

City leaders are completely paralyzed by these national party talking points (most of which I agree with, by the way, at the federal level) because they are utterly incapable of explaining how a simplified tax code or lower business taxes in Philadelphia helps everyone. Instead, it's interpreted as a "hand out" to the rich or something else ludicrous.

I'm not sure if it's because they're stupid, lack conviction, or have absolutely no imagination. But its endemic in Philadelphia politicians.

If Nutter had the tax revenues and stimulus Kenney had, he would have used this moment to completely transform this city.

Competence matters.

Kenney just pissed it down the drain.
lots of lazy generalizations there. And the fact that you believe you can describe everyone on council and the mayor with one sentence speaks volumes. These people do not agree on everything and there is a lot of space between people like Domb and Helen Gym for example. WTF is a philadelphia politician anyway? Rendell? Nutter? Street? Domb? Kenney? They are all different and in a major city you are more than likely dealing with a government that is left leaning- thats the way it is and you see this stuff around the country. Philadelphia cannot solve its problems without a partnership with the state capital- that does not exist currently as has not for a while. IN fact, half the time Harrisburg is working actively to thwart what Philadelphia wants and needs to do. These are the facts on the ground. You can change up council, put in a less progressive mayor or whatever fantasy situation you can think up and the best they can do is move the needle slightly unless there is true collaboration and assistance at the state level.

rich people will never pay more taxes in PA or Philly due to uniformity clause so any politician (or non politician) who is talking about it wasting their breath and the same applies to anyone on their soapbox bitching about proposals that arent even legal and thus have ZERO chance of every coming to fruition.

There are reports that JEff Brown from shoprite is thinking of running for mayor.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2645  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 1:36 AM
cardeza cardeza is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Hey status quo.

I'm not talking about tech jobs. I'm talking about any job. Even most of this region's workforce jobs are in the suburbs, where the biggest population of people who can fill them is in the city. There is a complete misalignment due to the city's tax structure.

You have no clue. On top of that, many of these neighborhoods are sh*tholes because the city can't even muster up the energy or ingenuity to sweep empty streets and clear empty lots.

Imagine walking out of your house every day, being surrounded by complete desperation, seeing a city that doesn't give a sh*t about you (as demonstrated by it's complete neglect of your surroundings) and then realizing the closest job that pays a sustaining wage is 25 miles away in an area that has no access to public transportation. Even worse, imagine the desperation that would occur in a situation where you don't even realize *those* jobs exist because you can't see them in your environment and literally nobody you know has one.

That's what you call acceptable.

Let's throw more money at a program to ask somebody not to shoot a gun when literally you can't show them what a future without guns and gangs looks like.
1. I just said tech jobs, replace that with White collar job, good job, non minimum wage job or whatever you want. My point is unchanged
2. At no point did I say anything about status quo- I said a government has to be worried about more than tax rates. You argue that if you cut taxes a city become Utopia and crime disappears
3. Here is some basic information for you- low wage jobs in the suburbs mean that those that hold the jobs cannot live near their workplace. Guess where they live? IN lower cost areas like the city. The low wage jobs in the burbs will not go away just because philly lowers taxes and the people who work them will still live here because they cant live out there. The supply of unskilled workers is highest in the city and yet many suburban businesses need those workers so those people reverse commute- its not even related to city tax structure. And these are not life sustaining wages no matter where they are paid out
4. I didn't know the city stopped cleaning vacant lots- news to me
5. You dont know what ideas I have or what I think needs to be changed and you don't care- you lecture, berate, talk down to and "educate" anyone who dares present any idea you don't like but you don't listen. I have plenty of ideas of what could be done differently but they are tad bit more complex and nuanced than your simple minded mantra of slash taxes and problems vanish
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2646  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 8:38 AM
hammersklavier's Avatar
hammersklavier hammersklavier is offline
Your 2016 AAC Champs!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 今日...? 関西(大阪、神戸、京都)
Posts: 5,822
As a reminder. Racism is not allowed on this board ever and if you say something nakedly racist I will suspend you.
__________________
Urban Rambles | Hidden City

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2647  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 12:33 PM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 2,755
Why is Cardeza suspended? What did he say from what posts that got him the suspension? He usually provides an in depth and dissenting viewpoint that many don't like here. Also, for the records, there are some on this forum that are the "know it all" type, but he is calm in response and sticks to the jist of the argument.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2648  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 1:50 PM
TonyTone's Avatar
TonyTone TonyTone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Tri-State DE-PA-NJ
Posts: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Why is Cardeza suspended? What did he say from what posts that got him the suspension? He usually provides an in depth and dissenting viewpoint that many don't like here. Also, for the records, there are some on this forum that are the "know it all" type, but he is calm in response and sticks to the jist of the argument.
No He’s the ass who think he knows it all. How are you gonna tell people from the community what it is?

Dont consign his bull.

Yea he has some good insights SOMETIMES but what he said earlier was ignorant.

I believe hammer deleted what he said to me but I believe that was the reason he was suspended.
__________________
Promoting Cities since 1998!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2649  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 3:48 PM
mcgrath618's Avatar
mcgrath618 mcgrath618 is offline
Exhausted Drexel Student
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Rodgers Park, Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Why is Cardeza suspended? What did he say from what posts that got him the suspension? He usually provides an in depth and dissenting viewpoint that many don't like here. Also, for the records, there are some on this forum that are the "know it all" type, but he is calm in response and sticks to the jist of the argument.
He said something pretty worthy of a suspension. It’s since been deleted.

Besides, it’ll be good for everyone to pause this discussion for a little while. Both this and the pavement debate were starting to get out of hand.
__________________
Philadelphia Transportation Thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=164129
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2650  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 2:23 PM
City Wide City Wide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,502
Ya, can we go back to talking about overhead wires!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2651  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 6:38 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 14,307
Epic!

Renderings of Fishtown Power Plant Redevelopment + Future Phases Released













Quote:
We now have more information about the developer’s current and future plans for the 11.7 acre site, which will be called The Battery. 200,000 square feet of office space will be included in the former power plant building. 50,000 – 100,000 square feet of the office space will be reserved for an anchor tenant. The rest of the space will be divided into smaller units and some will be set aside for co-working spaces.

Phase 1 of the project will include a surface parking lot on the north side of the site. However, it looks like the owners plan on developing that section of the property in the future. Their current future plans for the north side include several modern buildings surrounded by public space. These plans will likely evolve over the years as the rest of the property is activated.

Other notable plans for the Delaware Generating Station include restaurants, a performing arts space, and a concert barge. The plans also call for a promenade along the Palmer Street side of the building and to beautify Palmer Street and Columbia Avenue on the river side of Delaware Avenue. The whole stretch of waterfront will be hardscaped and programmed with bike trails, tiered seating, and other amenities. Plans also call for activating Pier 61 with the potential future use as a pool club and ice skating rink.
Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/renderi...ases-released/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2652  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 6:39 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 14,307
^^The new buildings look to be 13-14 floors, 12 floors, 10 floors, and two buildings 8-9 floors tall.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2653  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 7:10 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 14,307
After 4 years of aborted deals, the Nelson building in Society Hill finally sells

Article behind paywall. Who can read this? This is where the 222 Walnut highrise was/is proposed. Officially dead or what?
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=9#cxrecs_s
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2654  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 7:27 PM
PurpleWhiteOut PurpleWhiteOut is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
200,000 square feet of office space will be included in the former power plant building. 50,000 – 100,000 square feet of the office space will be reserved for an anchor tenant. The rest of the space will be divided into smaller units and some will be set aside for co-working spaces.
Awesome! It makes all the sense in the world to start building office space I'm the river wards. There's a huge concentration of educated workers there now and adding jobs to the neighborhood that don't require commuting will help cement the neighborhood as self-sufficient.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2655  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 8:56 PM
3rd&Brown 3rd&Brown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Renderings of Fishtown Power Plant Redevelopment + Future Phases Released















Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/renderi...ases-released/
I heard about this last night from a friend with inside information. I saw pictures of the interior work at the Power Plant and what's been done so far is stunning.

Also, as one of the first buyers at Northbank, all I can tell you is that I'm counting my schmoney today.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2656  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 10:30 PM
ScreamShatter ScreamShatter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,791
^ Yeeeessssssssssssss
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2657  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 11:11 PM
City Wide City Wide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,502
Whatever happened to the Plans for PECO to continue to have a sub-station on the property? Isn't that where the new construction is sited?

Personally, I wish the City as much as possible would do what it can to limit non-CC office space to neighborhood insurance offices and similar. If you need 10K sq.ft. you shouldn't be in a neighborhood, IMO.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2658  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 12:29 AM
cardeza cardeza is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Ya, can we go back to talking about overhead wires!
exactly.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2659  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 12:53 AM
ok-ez ok-ez is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
After 4 years of aborted deals, the Nelson building in Society Hill finally sells

Article behind paywall. Who can read this? This is where the 222 Walnut highrise was/is proposed. Officially dead or what?
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=9#cxrecs_s
dead

Quote:
Vert operates two co-working concepts: Incutate in Sewell, New Jersey, and the Trade Lofts, which caters to trade-type businesses in Glassboro, New Jersey. Vert plans to explore putting its Incutate coworking facility in the Nelson as well as lease it out to tenants. PernaFrederick is overseeing those efforts.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2660  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 2:14 AM
TonyTone's Avatar
TonyTone TonyTone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Tri-State DE-PA-NJ
Posts: 361
Alrighty so in other news I took some pictures around the city yesterday including some construction sites.

Ill edit and post in a bit.
__________________
Promoting Cities since 1998!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:00 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.