HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

Honestly, the mechanical floors and blow through look quite coordinated from this angle...

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 2:12 PM

So... are there any actual new updates expected on this tower? What keeps it from being officially "done"?

We can keep debating whether the blowthrough and mechanical louvers are a minor blemish or aesthetic malpractice. But it feels like everyone has kind of said their piece at this point. Is there anything else left to talk about here?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 2:23 PM
TL;DR

^ The pocket park, porte-cochere, etc on the north (Wacker) side are all still under construction. Interior work on the hotel is still underway, etc.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 3:12 PM

The end of this thread will be the end of an era. It has lived through a changed world!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 5:30 PM

Still waiting for all the ropes to come down.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 7:48 PM

The end of this thread will be the end of an era. It has lived through a changed world!

This is true

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 7:49 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelacey45 View Post

This is true
Speaking of that this building is no longer U/C I believe.

Which supertall is next, Parcel I or Tribune East?

Quote:
^ The pocket park, porte-cochere, etc on the north (Wacker) side are all still under construction. Interior work on the hotel is still underway, etc.
EDIT: Nevermind, didn't realize that. Any day now...

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooted Arborial View Post
This building has come to represent to me the most salient characteristics of the current, embarrassingly unforgettable obsession in architectural

designs with gimmickry and pretense at the expense of the expression of integrity interwoven with a genius of economy. I do not worship at the

altar of Mies but this wiggling wall and finger and its many ilk popping up around the planet have turned the idea of "less is more" on its head.

The attitude broadcast by these googaws - designed to pander to the egos of the most pretentious and monetarily hoarding pseudo-members of

the societies which they seek to dominate - is strictly "more or less."

This building represents the costliness of rushed desperation as much as anything else. Look at me, Look at me, like the adage,

"pearls before swine" it will always need redemption from its own pretenses. Move the columns this way and that, cover them over with shallow

manipulated glass, punch a hole through it to make it less of a danger, and pretty soon you'll get Dr. Frankenstein to sign a contract!

Like so many politicos, "it depends upon what the meaning of the word 'Is' is" and, in so many cases nowadays, more has become much, much less

and the negative planetary effects continue to grow.

So, we are left with the only assessment allowed today - It could have been worse.
Agreed. ( I think! ). It's a mangy misbegotten thing that looks like it was picked up in a boot sale of scrappy scrapers somewhere in the Middle East but it does serve the function of making the Aon/2Pru buildings look classy and well designed and also it does fill out the skyline.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 3:28 AM
Urban Living

"Look at me, look at me" is the only part of that post that makes any sense. Its turrible writing and the forum is giving it a pass...glimpses of interesting feedback, but sorry man, the point is lost

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
"Look at me, look at me" is the only part of that post that makes any sense. Its turrible writing and the forum is giving it a pass...glimpses of interesting feedback, but sorry man, the point is lost
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yes, I am often difficult.

Let me complicate the assessment of the building and its recent relatives farther.

Like so many ancient stelae, these contemporary expressions of the worship of the dominating power structure are part of a system which uses them

to keep us on the same path by distracting us from the fact that these islands of affluent excesses are intimately connected to the spread of

urban and environmental decay.

While celebrating the unwarranted privileges of the greediest members of society and their poverty of design sense, we are guaranteeing the

greater decline of everyone's wellness.

Imagine the improvements and jobs which could come about if the costs of these excesses in bad design had been used instead to build up those

neighborhoods which are in much greater need.

The now-former Vista and its ilk of billionaire perversity have always been vanity projects which primarily reinforce the path to greater

inequality and distraction.

Even just visually, it fails to be a positive addition to the skyline because of its self-absorbed gimmickry and shallow reflectivity.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 2:45 PM
પટેલ. કે ન

Rooted Arborial

Yeah your right they should have made it a tree house instead.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 4:31 PM

Quote:

Let me complicate the assessment of the building and its recent relatives farther.

Like so many ancient stelae, these contemporary expressions of the worship of the dominating power structure are part of a system which uses them

to keep us on the same path by distracting us from the fact that these islands of affluent excesses are intimately connected to the spread of

While celebrating the unwarranted privileges of the greediest members of society and their poverty of design sense, we are guaranteeing the

Imagine the improvements and jobs which could come about if the costs of these excesses in bad design had been used instead to build up those

The now-former Vista and its ilk of billionaire perversity have always been vanity projects which primarily reinforce the path to greater

Even just visually, it fails to be a positive addition to the skyline because of its self-absorbed gimmickry and shallow reflectivity.
I think you stumbled upon the wrong message board for your rant. . . but thanks for sharing. . .

. . .

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 5:03 PM
Windy City Dan

Quote:
... but this wiggling wall and finger and its many ilk popping up around the planet have turned the idea of "less is more" on its head.
And is that a bad thing? There's room for more than one way of doing things. Gosh, for every person complaining about the wiggling wall scrapers going up you'll find someone else lamenting about yet another blue Meisian box. While you're magniloquence post is insightful, bordering on turgid, ultimately it's nothing more than your personal opinion.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 5:15 PM

Everybody bustin out the SAT words today....let me try. I like this building bigly....

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 6:25 PM
Plenary pleasures.

It's a perfectly cromulent building.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 6:27 PM
devout Pizzatarian

And it embiggens the smallest man.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 6:31 PM

Look at me! Look at me! I so smart.

We all have our own ways of showing off.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 8:29 PM

Quote:

Yes, I am often difficult.....
In both of your double-spaced posts, I think you confused Vista / St. Regis with those Billionaires' Row condos in NYC. Vista's units are actually fairly affordable, for example:

$968,360, 1,126 sqft, $526 HOA fee

$984,370, 1,138 sqft, $535 HOA fee

$1,368,630, 1.994 sqft, $739 HOA fee

IMO they are designed and priced for the middle class, not billionaires or even multimillionaires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
Everybody bustin out the SAT words today....let me try. I like this building bigly....
You are the most presidential!

Last edited by pianowizard; Apr 23, 2021 at 2:36 AM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 4:14 AM

Quote:

Seriously it's just a building with a blow through floor and some ugly vents int he back - not the total deterioration of society.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 4:16 PM

Rooted Aboriginal, I think you're getting more hung up on the financials of this than the architecture itself. Even with the blow through, it's an incredible tower. Miles better than all the beige precast of River North. And, I think it's pretty neat that Gang has done a few towers in Chicago now. It's quite fitting since, imho, she's carrying the mantle of organic architecture pioneered by Sullivan, Wright, and John Lautner, who all have Chicago connections.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction