HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 2:56 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
Sorry...wait, what??

"Public housing museum"...

What the hell...?
If this seems like a weird idea to you, watch The Pruitt Igoe Myth. There's a lot of interesting history - the people who moved in didn't do so out of desperation, the projects were genuinely an upgrade from the overcrowded slums, at least at first. Then the wheels started coming off, for a whole list of complicated reasons.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 3:22 PM
Urban Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
If this seems like a weird idea to you, watch The Pruitt Igoe Myth. There's a lot of interesting history - the people who moved in didn't do so out of desperation, the projects were genuinely an upgrade from the overcrowded slums, at least at first. Then the wheels started coming off, for a whole list of complicated reasons.

I'm familiar - good intentions gone awry due to very bad design (and many other factors).

That said - seems like a waste of funds that could be used for............housing?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Permit was issued yesterday to renovate the Bridgeview Bank building in Uptown on Broadway (& Lawrence) with Cedar St leading the charge. Part of it will be converted to 176 new apartments, and the lobby will become a co-working space. The rooftop will have an amenity deck. Ground floor Starbucks and bank are expected to remain. According to an article from November, they'd most likely start once they have permits - which is now..

Estimated cost on the permit is nearly $15.25M. Cedar St bought the building a few years ago for $19M.
Level Incorporated - the architect - posted updates on Instagram. Glad to see this is well on its way.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNpkmKoh...d=zs6i1kz5l3cw

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 3:59 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
I'm familiar - good intentions gone awry due to very bad design (and many other factors).

That said - seems like a waste of funds that could be used for............housing?
The museum has done private fundraising like any other museum and gotten state/federal cultural grants. I think Related is making a big donation that will put them over the top. They're not using housing funds for the museum.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 4:41 PM

Quote:
no weirder of an idea for a museum than:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...holography-mro

or

https://imss.org/

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 8:20 PM
Leftist Correctist

My parents bought me a Michael Jackson hologram sticker from the Museum of Holography when I was a little boy back in the day. Good memories.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 9:26 PM

C40 Chicago Loop Site Proposals

Assemble Chicago
Video Link

Common Good Collaborative - The Arbor
Video Link

Inspiration Exchange
Video Link

ecoVIBE -
Video Link

Assemble Chicago is my favorite

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 10:25 PM
Team Alinghi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCres View Post

Assemble Chicago is my favorite
I second this. It's not even close (aesthetically speaking).

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 10:53 PM

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
I second this. It's not even close (aesthetically speaking).
Agreed, though I like programming aspects of all the other projects a lot (a Silver Room space, Massimo Bottura soup kitchen, and housing for recently graduated artists, respectively).

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Agreed, though I like programming aspects of all the other projects a lot (a Silver Room space, Massimo Bottura soup kitchen, and housing for recently graduated artists, respectively).
Agree. And the way the Valerio building meets the park is quite nice.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 5:33 PM

Honestly they all seem like great proposals. Hopefully the park itself can be successful and inviting for everyone.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 7:35 PM

932 W Randolph

April 11

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 7:48 PM

1117 W Randolph

March 29

April 11

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 1:04 AM

New zoning applications are trickling in

1. The Forum in Bronzeville has submitted an application to make it an entertainment concert venue again with banquet uses too. It also calls for 7 new ground floor retail spaces. Book stores, art gallery, music schools, etc. Remember that this place is on the National Register of Historic Places. Across from the 43rd St Green Line stop.

Great news. Also there is a new midrise planned for the vacant lot to the left here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8165...7i16384!8i8192

2. Garfield Green - Fifth and Kedzie in East Garfield Park. 2 new 4 story buildings (52.5 feet in height) with 81 total units, and 32 parking spaces. Phase 1 calls for the south building with Phase 2 calls for the north building. This is from POAH.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8783...7i16384!8i8192

3. Western Ave continues to get mid rises. New 5 story (60 foot tall) building with 38 units, 32 interior parking spaces, and 2 ground floor commercial units proposed for 1317-35 N Western Ave. This will replace a vacant lot which used to be an auto sales lot. The developer is Raftery who has a development across the street, and also a few other parts of Western. Looks like it'll probably be the standard boxy design we've come to know in those parts.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/13...!4d-87.6867065

4. Densification of Ogden continues. Application for a new 6 story (67 foot) 9 unit building on a vacant lot at 615 N Ogden. This is next to a recently built 6 story mixed use building, which is across the street from the now under construction 8 story 100+ unit building at Ogden & Erie. Before the new building was built on the site here, it was an industrial building.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/61...!4d-87.6570519

5. 14 new townhomes for 3212 S Shields in Armour Square just north of US Cellular Field. To replace an industrial building and probably a vacant lot next to it. The applicant on the zoning application is actually the business (a plumbing business) which occupies that building. There are new-ish townhomes next to this and across from this already.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/M....4!4d-87.635641

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 2:07 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
5. 14 new townhomes for 3212 S Shields in Armour Square just north of US Cellular Field. To replace an industrial building and probably a vacant lot next to it. The applicant on the zoning application is actually the business (a plumbing business) which occupies that building. There are new-ish townhomes next to this and across from this already.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/M....4!4d-87.635641
LOL, DiFoggio is famous for having mob ties (and the family patriarch eventually turning state's witness before committing suicide in this very building).

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 4:38 PM

FYI, fencing went up this past weekend on the parking lot on the other side of the future doubledoor (black fence), You can also see here that the demo for the building on Wilson and Broadway is wrapping up (blue fence). So many changes on that little stretch of Uptown. Sorry for the large image. I live on this block so I can provide updates as they happen

Photo taken by me

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 5:31 PM

Also on Wilson:
https://thewilsonclub.com/

The old Wilson Men’s Hotel sounded like a horrifying living accommodations. The transformation is insane.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 11:07 PM
TL;DR

You can pearl-clutch about SROs all you want, but by eliminating them you're only increasing the number of homeless. Obviously building and fire codes should be enforced, etc but they definitely need to be part of the housing solution.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 11:21 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
You can pearl-clutch about SROs all you want, but by eliminating them you're only increasing the number of homeless. Obviously building and fire codes should be enforced, etc but they definitely need to be part of the housing solution.
You've probably seen this article: https://newrepublic.com/article/1618...crisis-chicago

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development