HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 5:15 PM

^ Same

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAisthePlace View Post
The session is here -http://beverlyhills.granicus.com/player/clip/7743?view_id=57&redirect=true

I am very interested to see if the project got approved, but not sure I can sit through 3 hours of Beverly Hills NIMBYs to do so lol
Seemed relatively positive. They are going to continue the conversation on or prior to April 19th I believe or maybe that was May. It will be passed, it's just a matter of what conditions everyone agrees on.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 2:15 PM

Demo fencing has gone up around various parts of the 8150 Sunset lot. Not sure if the McDonalds has been shuttered officially but they were the last tenant standing.

http://www.8150sunset.com/

Shame about the redesign as the original was far more elegant.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 2:47 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Agreed that the original was far better, but think of it this way: we could be getting 3 Gehry-designed two-tower projects going on at the same time if this moves quickly. That's unheard of in LA.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio5 View Post
Seemed relatively positive. They are going to continue the conversation on or prior to April 19th I believe or maybe that was May. It will be passed, it's just a matter of what conditions everyone agrees on.
Phenomenal news - Just shows that if you get one of the world's best architects and plan for substantial community benefits (ex. the giant botantical gardens /l park) you can make something big happen even in Beverly Hills.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 9:36 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Agreed that the original was far better, but think of it this way: we could be getting 3 Gehry-designed two-tower projects going on at the same time if this moves quickly. That's unheard of in LA.
Burbank is the third, took me a while to figure it out.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 6:09 AM

Theatre parent company shutting down Arclight Cinemas and Pacific Theatres permanently

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/a...id-1234949832/

Wonder what this means for the Cinerama Dome and whether the company will be selling the site, which could help offset their major losses from the pandemic. Perhaps we'll see a mixed use or office development incorporating the historic dome which could continue to be used for special events and tenant screenings/meetings.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 2:16 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ That's a huge bummer because it affects so many theaters and sites around the City (the Grove, downtown Culver City, Sherman Oaks, etc. I'm actually hoping we see someone come in and re-use that real estate, but keep the theater components. The commercial elements around the Arclight are not that old (maybe 12-14 years?), so wouldn't expect the property to be completely redeveloped, though that ginormous parking garage could easily go. I'm hoping to see the residential tower in the old Amoeba space move forward to keep the momentum of that area going.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 8:20 PM
Environmental Sabotage

I agree that it is a huge bummer about the Arclight Hollywood, which was one of my favorite places to see a move. Hopefully all those in the industry with money will come in and rescue at least the Hollywood location.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 12:16 AM

How long has the Jack in the Box across from the old Amoeba been fenced up ? I remember a tower was planned for that site as well. Was in the area this weekend. I really hope Biden's Infrastructure plan includes money for side walks as well. The side walks along with the streets in the LA area are atrocious.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
How long has the Jack in the Box across from the old Amoeba been fenced up ? I remember a tower was planned for that site as well. Was in the area this weekend. I really hope Biden's Infrastructure plan includes money for side walks as well. The side walks along with the streets in the LA area are atrocious.
It has been fenced off for 3-4 months now. A 20ish story hotel is supposed to go there, but they haven't even demo'ed the Jack in the Box last time I checked. Slooooow progress.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark2 View Post
It has been fenced off for 3-4 months now. A 20ish story hotel is supposed to go there, but they haven't even demo'ed the Jack in the Box last time I checked. Slooooow progress.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, and I can't find the article now, but I remember reading that the nice Art Deco hotel project was canceled and instead the most out of place Jack in the Box drive thru in the world is going to be a Zaxby's Chicken...

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 1:01 PM

New plan at Disneyland calls for squeezing in more rides, restaurants and shops

Hugo Martin, For the Los Angeles Times - https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...gn=modal_storm

“The possibilities are endless,” Lomboy said. “We’re excited about the possibilities and ready to dream.”

...The plan, dubbed Disneyland Forward, is short on details, but Disney officials made clear they want to squeeze new attractions, shops and eateries into underdeveloped areas of the existing resort, specifically around two Disney hotels west of the theme parks and on the site of a parking lot east of the resort.

Disney officials said it is too early in the process to disclose construction costs but vowed to bring detailed development plans for approval to the Anaheim City Council by 2023.

The announcement of the proposed overhaul comes less than two years after the media giant spent $1 billion to open its newest expansion to Disneyland, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, in May 2019. The next addition, an area dubbed Avengers Campus that features Marvel superhero characters, is expected to open soon at Disney California Adventure.

“Guests need and want more, " said Jeanette Lomboy, Disney portfolio executive at Walt Disney Imagineering. “In order to give guests what they want, we need more flexibility in Anaheim.”...

...Although Disney officials declined to say what new attractions might be added, they described several lands and attractions that have been added in other Disney parks as examples of what could come to the Anaheim resort. Those included the themed areas based on the Disney movies “Tangled,” “Peter Pan” and “Frozen” set to open next year at Tokyo DisneySea in Japan. They also mentioned attractions based on the movie “Zootopia” under construction at Shanghai Disneyland and the new Toy Story Land and soon-to-open Tron ride at Walt Disney World in Florida...

...Anaheim Mayor Harry Sidhu has been briefed on the plan, according to a city spokesman, who said the mayor is supportive of Disney’s efforts and looks forward to seeing the detailed project make its way through the city’s approval process...

Disney announced a proposal to overhaul its Anaheim resort with new attractions, shops, restaurants and entertainment.
This rendering shows the additions of attractions and shops around the resort’s Disneyland Hotel and Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel. (Disney)

Last edited by delts145; Apr 23, 2021 at 1:12 PM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 5:18 PM

The Godfrey Hotel in Hollywood scheduled to open July 1

www.godfreyhotelhollywood.com

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 6:43 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

550 Shatto was approved by the City Planning Commission earlier this week:

https://urbanize.city/la/post/koreat...me-development

Koreatown is just begging for a dense skyscraper cluster between 6th, 7th, Hoover, and Wilton.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 11:30 PM

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 11:33 PM
DENNAB

Is there a thread on the funky looking building with twisty steel in Culver City (I think it's called the (W)rapper) ?

Great news about the Korea Town tower though, ~500 footers there and in Hollywood is big news. Great to see them outside of downtown.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve8263 View Post
Demo fencing has gone up around various parts of the 8150 Sunset lot. Not sure if the McDonalds has been shuttered officially but they were the last tenant standing.

http://www.8150sunset.com/

Shame about the redesign as the original was far more elegant.
The original was chaotic and interesting. This new design looks like a tamer, shorter version of his Grand Ave. project. Shame, but can’t blame him considering the uphill battle of getting this thing accepted by the neighborhood. Blandness is the last strategy when battling NIMBYism.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Is there a thread on the funky looking building with twisty steel in Culver City (I think it's called the (W)rapper) ?

Great news about the Korea Town tower though, ~500 footers there and in Hollywood is big news. Great to see them outside of downtown.
I dont think there's a thread about the Wrapper but the construction is coming along nicely. I believe it's topped out.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
The original was chaotic and interesting. This new design looks like a tamer, shorter version of his Grand Ave. project. Shame, but can’t blame him considering the uphill battle of getting this thing accepted by the neighborhood. Blandness is the last strategy when battling NIMBYism.
Ugh, very bland. But whatever, it's still better than that little center.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations