HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 4:13 AM
Closed account

Anyone Know of a Good Roofing Company?

So far I only got 2 quotes. These were from people going door to door and they do just about any type of work. I want to get more quotes from roofing companies that specialize in just roofing now. My house is very small but it does have 4 sides on the roof which I heard do cost more.

The 2 quotes I got so far were $5900 and $7900. I thought both of these quotes were high. The house size is only 625 sq. ft.

Anyone know a good place to get a quote from?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 12:46 PM

PM sent.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 12:48 PM
It's Hammer Time

With all this rain there's a lot of houses in my hood that are getting their roofs replaced. Roofing company must be making big money and therefore charging a lot higher.

Maybe wait a year for cheaper rates?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 12:59 PM

I am also needing a new roof. I got some quotes last year that ranged from $7000 - $8000. Small house, but steep pitched roof with several layers of shingles.... sigh.

Deluca Roofing seemed very profesional and their quote was the highest. There was more detail in the quote and I think they included more vents and plywood.

Heisler Roofing came in around $7000. Also seemed profesional, but I have a feeling that there would be extra expenses once the work started.

If you've ever wondered why there are so many bad roofs in the lower city this is why. Surprisingly not many people have $8000 underneath their couch cushions.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMe View Post
So far I only got 2 quotes. These were from people going door to door and they do just about any type of work. I want to get more quotes from roofing companies that specialize in just roofing now. My house is very small but it does have 4 sides on the roof which I heard do cost more.

The 2 quotes I got so far were $5900 and $7900. I thought both of these quotes were high. The house size is only 625 sq. ft.

Anyone know a good place to get a quote from?
I would advise against someone going door to door.

Get a professional to do the job. It will cost more, but will result in less headaches, and likely a longer lasting roof.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianE View Post
Deluca Roofing seemed very profesional and their quote was the highest. There was more detail in the quote and I think they included more vents and plywood.
My friend also got a few quotes, and Deluca was also the highest. Quite a bit higher in fact.

He has a 'small' house compared to some others in the lower city. I told him they are probably so busy these days they aren't interest in smallish jobs unless they can make a good profit and therefore throw out a high quote. If the person bites then great. If not, they've got lots of bigger jobs on the go.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 2:38 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoote View Post
I would advise against someone going door to door.
I told them both no. For one I wasn't finished getting more quotes. Plus I find the ones that go house to house are soooooooooooo pushy, and I find a lot that go door to door rarely give references. I did that with getting my driveway ashphalted, and it was a cheap price but so was the job. So ever since then I usually didn't deal with people going to door to door with their businesses. The one place that quoted $7900 told me if I wanted the $500 rebate I would have to book it by today. As I said, I told him no.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 2:44 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Maybe wait a year for cheaper rates?
Well I need to get the quotes by the end of the year due to how I have to do the financing for getting it done. I don't plan on getting this done till next spring though. I wish I could wait till next spring to get more quotes as we are going into a bit of a recession so I can see what you are saying about possible prices may drop some by then.

Last edited by MsMe; Sep 5, 2008 at 3:17 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 3:33 PM
Closed account

I think this roof was stripped the last time it was done. I can see in my bathroom where it had leaked and someone did a cheap patch in the room. The people who owned the house before me had the roof done.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 4:10 PM

How about a good mortar repointer?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 4:18 PM

These guys did an excellent job on my stone basement earlier this year. They are located in Hamilton too.
http://foordmasonry.com/

Its just like the day it was built now. This stuff isn't cheap though.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 4:28 PM
Closed account

When they had the roof done the last time, I haven't seen any leaks anywhere at least yet thank goodness.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 4:34 PM
Closed account

We went with DeLuca and were NOT impressed. They cut a couple of corners that could have caused us problems down the road. We only caught them cause a contractor friend of ours was up working on the roof at the same time and realized what they were doing. They did the necessary repairs when we called their attention to it, but if our friend hadn't been up there at the time, we would have had no way of knowing what was going on. Their workers also left a very messy work site, dropping their tools and fleeing at the end of the day leaving lunch garbage and extension cords lying on walkways. And they were voted Hamilton's best roofing company in the Spec. Feh.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 10:47 PM
Closed account

Is a permit required to do a roof?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 11:46 PM
Closed account

No. Not unless you're adding a dormer or something that would push your living space over the GFA.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 1:33 AM
Closed account

Ok thanks.

And looks like it will be cheaper for me this year due to the renovation rebate from the last budget.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 1:54 PM
Recent Hamiltonian

I recently had the roof done on one of my rental properties. Before selecting a contractor, I must have called about 25-30 companies (all listed with the BBB) to get quotes. Of those, only about 5-7 got back to me. Of those, 4 gave me quotes. Of those 4, First Class Roofing not only gave me the best quote, but with their quote they included the following:

-copy of BBB membership
-list of last 10 clients
-copy of Ontario Roofing Licence

This was very professional. I decided to go with them and was very impressed. I went with a 50yr, fibre-glass CRC shingle. They were installed with proper valleys, straight lines and correct flashing. Clean up was perfect, as well; not a single nail at the end of each day.

I know this sounds like I work for them or something, but they were really good and fast. I've also heard good things from Edge's Roofing and Nail to Nail Roofing (both of these contractors were too busy when I called).

Here's a link to First Class's BBB listing:
http://hamilton.bbb.org/codbrep.html...y&id=174912933

Fellas name was Jeff, I believe.

Good luck! Getting a good roofer is a tough, TOUGH job. Being new to this city, I really lucked out.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 5:07 PM
Closed account

I was also very impressed with General's Renovations. He gave me his papers on showing he has WSIB coverage, and his BBB papers and his insurance papers plus he told me to call him to come see the roof they are working on at the time. Plus he gave me a pamphlet on past jobs. And he was the only one that got up on the roof to see how many layers were there. And his price very reasonable at $3600 plus taxes for the 40 year fibre glass.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 4:03 PM

Does anyone know a good roofing company

Roofing companies can often be fly by night operations. You need to find a roofing company that you can trust.
If you try Redbear Contracting Hamilton/Kitchener you will see the difference!
Expert advice, quality work, experienced, reliable and trustworthy. Visit our site http://redbear.contractors/home.html contact us - You won't be disappointed.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 4:34 AM

hamilton roofing company

yes, you can always call http://AllStarsRoofing.com/
The contact information is:
Telephone: (647) 808-4044
Email: info@AllStarsRoofing.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion