HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
The One is a mixed use building that will have some of the most expensive commercial space in the nation. Will they keep the same standards for the condos as the commercial space and does it matter as The condos start 150 feet or more in the air?

In my experience, mixed use towers like The One should be viewed as two independent buildings that happen to be stacked on one another. The building systems and functions are separate. On the construction side, the financing and the contractors are separate as well.
There hasn't been anything to suggest the materials are going to be different for the residential portion. It's a pretty unified design compared to your typical podium + tower development like Four Seasons or 480 University. It would be oh so very Toronto though if they just pulled a switcharoo and the steel beams became plastic adornments after the first 10 or so floors.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
The Bow's girth is overplayed. It doesn't feel stumpy at all and there are plenty of stumpy towers, in particular, in my next of the woods. It's a more complex and better executed design than CIBC. CIBC is still a pleasant surprise for me. It ranks well. It's just not the Bow. Telus Sky is the most exciting tower in the nation. It drips flair through its structural form. It makes it really hard to compare one on one.
Agree on Telus Sky, it's always been one of my fav towers in Canada. There's simply nothing quite like it.

My comments a few days ago were simply that I think CIBC is the nicest office tower to up in Canada in the last 20 years. (Telus Sky is mixed use). I have never personally understood the hype for The Bow. To me its a nice tower but looks a bit awkward, reminds of the Great Wall Of China, and Im not a huge fan of the cladding. I understand why others may like it as it is an original design and quite unique. Aesthetically speaking I prefer CIBC (the cladding is more modern, the discreet diamond pattern makes the towers stand out and I love the LED features). It's all subjective though, we all have our own opinions.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 3:32 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
There hasn't been anything to suggest the materials are going to be different for the residential portion. It's a pretty unified design compared to your typical podium + tower development like Four Seasons or 480 University. It would be oh so very Toronto though if they just pulled a switcharoo and the steel beams became plastic adornments after the first 10 or so floors.
I didn't mean something extreme like switching to window wall. Just cheaper curtain wall units.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 3:37 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
Agree on Telus Sky, it's always been one of my fav towers in Canada. There's simply nothing quite like it.

My comments a few days ago were simply that I think CIBC is the nicest office tower to up in Canada in the last 20 years. (Telus Sky is mixed use). I have never personally understood the hype for The Bow. To me its a nice tower but looks a bit awkward, reminds of the Great Wall Of China, and Im not a huge fan of the cladding. I understand why others may like it as it is an original design and quite unique. Aesthetically speaking I prefer CIBC (the cladding is more modern, the discreet diamond pattern makes the towers stand out and I love the LED features). It's all subjective though, we all have our own opinions.
I'm confused by the Great Wall of China analogy but, CIBC turned out to be a fine tower. Sometimes it's easy ranking from best to least. Sometimes my jaw drops on these rankings. This is definitely not one of those times

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 3:39 PM

The Bow is a tale of two towers for me. From the front and at a slight angle that downplays the girth, it's undoubtedly my favourite building in Canada post-2000.

From the back the grid pattern loses all its texture and kind of looks painted on to the squat, round tower.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 3:47 PM
Khan

It's a shame that the Bow lost its elegant sloping top portion (in the original design). That would have made it a real showstopper IMO.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 4:18 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov View Post
It's a shame that the Bow lost its elegant sloping top portion (in the original design). That would have made it a real showstopper IMO.
Agreed. Also a shame about the height reduction, loss of skypods and the bait and switch cultural block for extra parking that became nothing more than a wooden deck.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 4:37 PM

We have some pretty exciting towers on this list right now. CIBC project is a winner, and Im very excited about The One.... it has potential to be epic if they indeed use those high quality materials. The Sky Tower for 1 Yonge is also another awesome tower because of the height and design. Very modern design, looks like it's from Hong Kong (reminds of the Two International Finance Centre building). 160 Front should be interesting as well.... not sure how that one will turn out.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 5:20 PM
ハルウララ

Walked by the One site today and it is very busy and at street-level now.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 5:22 PM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Agreed. Also a shame about the height reduction, loss of skypods and the bait and switch cultural block for extra parking that became nothing more than a wooden deck.
Indeed. Original design for those who may not have seen it:

With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 5:53 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov View Post
Indeed. Original design for those who may not have seen it:

Would have made a better skyline silhouette but in hindsight looks a bit like the crown of Orthanc.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 9:24 PM

Posted on urbantoronto.ca

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 2:42 PM

The One - First super-columns steel joins the angled steel.

Benito

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 2:48 PM
What could go wrong?

Wow! Those are big suckers.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 4:24 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
The Bow is a tale of two towers for me. From the front and at a slight angle that downplays the girth, it's undoubtedly my favourite building in Canada post-2000.

From the back the grid pattern loses all its texture and kind of looks painted on to the squat, round tower.
I tend to agree. It's always been my opinion that the emergency stairwell spine breaking up the grid accentuates the largeness from the rear than to be a defining feature. Street level from the front has too much cold hard surface. The rear is downright deplorable. That doesn't help either.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 4:32 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
We have some pretty exciting towers on this list right now. CIBC project is a winner, and Im very excited about The One.... it has potential to be epic if they indeed use those high quality materials. The Sky Tower for 1 Yonge is also another awesome tower because of the height and design. Very modern design, looks like it's from Hong Kong (reminds of the Two International Finance Centre building). 160 Front should be interesting as well.... not sure how that one will turn out.
I'm looking forward to 160's scallops. They won't be enough to make up for the squeezed form. I'm warming up to 1 Yonge. I still don't care much for how it interfaces with the street. The golden frit on the bird safety glass should be interesting. It's pretty conventional however, it isn't those dreadful polka dots.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 3:09 PM

Posted on urbantoronto.ca

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 4:13 PM

The One - angled steel for the APPLE Temple.

skycandy

Retail entrance (mock-up with cladding for the angled steel seen above^^)

me

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 1:40 AM

Stunning captures of CIBC Square before a storm (by Razz).

Razz

Razz

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 1:49 AM
recession proof

^Yep looked pretty good from the Gardiner tonight

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada