HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 9:15 PM
Registered Loser

Road Trip Through the Western States

Help me plan it

I live in Vancouver, BC and I have about 25 days to kill in the winter time, so I'm thinking: ROAD TRIP. I already did one this summer across Canada and the northern states and I really enjoyed it.

This time around I would like to see the West Coast: Portland, San Fran, LA, and San Diego.

I've heard good things about the Oregon coast. Any particular spots that you guys recommend?

Is it worth dipping into Mexico? Is there anything close to California down there that would be worth visiting? How safe is it to park my car there? I've heard bad things about Tijuana...

Anywhere in the Cali. interior that'd be cool to drive through? Death Valley?

Now, for the way back: I wanna see cities and geographic features. Is Las Vegas worth seeing? I can't drink or gamble in the US . Anything amazing in northern Nevada?

What's the best part of the Grand Canyon to see?

Phoenix is a little out of my way, is it worth the trip?

I might be visiting people in Denver so for now I want to include that in part of the trip...

Thoughts on New Mexico and Utah? I've never seen Mesas or anything like that. I've heard that New Mexico landscape is "magical" and the Utah salt flats looks interesting in satellite photos.

I was in Yellowstone for my last trip so no need to pass through there again I don't think.

Last location: Southern Idaho. I went through the skinny northern part last time, it was just a normal mountain pass, nothing to see. Anything to see in the south? Boise?

To give you an idea of the things I want to see, my favourite stops on my last trip were Chicago, the Badlands, and Big Horn Mountain Pass (Wyoming).

I camped most of that last trip, and I'd like to do that again because there's no way I can afford hotels the entire way, but this is a winter adventure, and i'd be completely unprepared for below freezing camping. How cold does it get in these places I've listed? Will I have trouble with some of the roads? Need chains? Maybe I'll just do this next summer instead...

Anyways, thanks in advance for ANY advice you can give.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States