HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 4:49 AM

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Meh. Every group has a right to express their views, and it's always good to have a number of perspectives on any particular topic. All and all, though, stuff still gets built, and is being built (ref: cranes currently in the city), so I'm not sure that anti-development groups in Halifax are all that successful.
Seriously? We have gone through decades of every proposed new development of any size at all being decried by various interest groups for being either "Too TALL!!" or too out of character or too big for the neighborhood or too much like Toronto. Proposals have been sawed off, made short and stubby, had features deleted to get under height limits, had finishes cheapened to make them financially viable at smaller sizes, delayed and delayed as they ground through a process seemingly designed to not allow anything different or new, you name it. All aided and abetted by a Council with exceedingly craven and inept members who get re-elected time and time again by citizens who are totally disengaged for the most part and vote based on name recognition alone, and by a lazy and none-too-bright local media who give the squeaky wheels like Cameron a disproportionately loud voice. The list of torpedoed developments is long and rather shameful.

Finally the pressure to build became too much and we are finally seeing some activity on that front at long last, but there remains an undercurrent that the media is only too happy to give voice to that this is bad. The Camerons and Ruffmans are still beating their drums despite aging out. The more scary thing is that from what I see on certain online spaces is that there is a new generation of loonies who have been molded by our education system to believe that govt owes them everything, from an inexpensive place to live to food and recreation and college degrees, all of which will be paid for by someone other than themselves since their prospects of gainful employment are slim to none. They become fertile ground for the same types of arguments made by the old anti-development types to grow and prosper, since clearly anyone proposing a development is evil in all ways, being "rich", probably a landlord, and hence an oppressor. It is sad.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 2:21 PM
Cap the Cut!

Keith has summed it up pretty well. I don't want to be though of as a negative nancy (oops!, am I allowed to say that? I don't want to offend any of the nancys out there), but it seems folks are not learning to think for themselves these days and are instead just jumping onto any popular passing bandwagon without question. The local media prints mostly crap tailoring their content to what they perceive as popular hoping to attract (entertain) enough readers to stay in business. ...discouraging. Me: "Your view has changed since I was last here pre-covid." Dental Hygenist: "Oh, that building is just too tall". Me: "Why?" Dental Hygenist: ...blank stare.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 3:46 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Nice picture. I think a lot of the blank concrete surfaces on a lot of concrete buildings could be improved with lighting displays. Scotia Square too. This is something that is still relatively new since modern LEDs are so much more flexible, powerful, and have low energy requirements.

I know The Doyle's architecture is not widely loved and the old buildings probably should not have been demolished as they were, but it does look to me like it has some nice medium scale massing. Hopefully The Mills will complement it well.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This is true although I think the media presentation is often warped with journalists putting developers on the "pro" side and then hunting for citizens who are on the "anti" side, with some usual suspects being lined up to fill that role. The local media are weak when it comes to getting to the bottom of questions like housing affordability, really sketching out the trade-offs, or wider public opinion beyond the sound bites. In fact they don't do much analysis at all.
There's no disputing that the days of good journalism seem to be mostly behind us, and the reasons are well-known for the most part. If we put aside potential conspiracy theories (there are already enough of them out there), the situation you describe should lend itself well to anybody pro-development/urban density/etc., if they can present their arguments clearly and factually. There would probably be some interest from the media in playing one side off vs the other.

Quote:
And I think people are right to be skeptical when figures who have provided anti-development soundbites in the local media outlets for years promote material through these groups.
I agree, however I am also skeptical as to whether these soundbites result in great success for the "friends of" groups. I'd be happy to be proven wrong if some evidence could be presented.

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with the ideas being out there but once they're out they're open to respectful responses and critiques. Unfortunately I think the public debate is often really bad with some terrible tropes in municipal politics, one being the "housing affordability through banning expensive housing" plan, and another being vague environmentalist claims that only look at part of the picture.
I'm not sure if there really is a public debate, other than perhaps the comments section below the articles, which I always take with a huge grain of salt.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 10:36 PM

Media just need a larger Rolodex. The CBC has been bought off by Justin Trudeau - on P & P tonight they spent time talking about the USA abortion decision and ignored the RCMP Commissioner and the Portapique Inquiry shambles.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Seriously? We have gone through decades of every proposed new development of any size at all being decried by various interest groups for being either "Too TALL!!" or too out of character or too big for the neighborhood or too much like Toronto. Proposals have been sawed off, made short and stubby, had features deleted to get under height limits, had finishes cheapened to make them financially viable at smaller sizes, delayed and delayed as they ground through a process seemingly designed to not allow anything different or new, you name it. All aided and abetted by a Council with exceedingly craven and inept members who get re-elected time and time again by citizens who are totally disengaged for the most part and vote based on name recognition alone, and by a lazy and none-too-bright local media who give the squeaky wheels like Cameron a disproportionately loud voice. The list of torpedoed developments is long and rather shameful.

Finally the pressure to build became too much and we are finally seeing some activity on that front at long last, but there remains an undercurrent that the media is only too happy to give voice to that this is bad. The Camerons and Ruffmans are still beating their drums despite aging out. The more scary thing is that from what I see on certain online spaces is that there is a new generation of loonies who have been molded by our education system to believe that govt owes them everything, from an inexpensive place to live to food and recreation and college degrees, all of which will be paid for by someone other than themselves since their prospects of gainful employment are slim to none. They become fertile ground for the same types of arguments made by the old anti-development types to grow and prosper, since clearly anyone proposing a development is evil in all ways, being "rich", probably a landlord, and hence an oppressor. It is sad.
In my opinion, that's a bit of a stretch, Keith. It reads like a cool dystopian novel in the making (could even make it to the movie stage... maybe as a dark comedy), but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a direct link between Ms. Cameron and the Centre Plan, for example.

I agree with your assessment of the media, but they are mostly just repeating what's out there. Without some form of counterargument being in place (other than the developers' opinions, which would be viewed through the 'vested interest' looking glass), that's what you're going to read about in the media. It might sway some readers, but in my negative view of things I see most readers skimming the headlines, reading a sentence or two to get the flavour of it, and moving on... I get the feeling that not a lot of deep thought goes into it after that (as evidenced by the "comments" sections that most articles have at the end). Not much power over outcome yielded there.

IMHO, there are many knowledgeable posters on this board who could probably easily counter her arguments if they had the time to do it, but I completely understand the concept of life getting in the way of good intentions and higher ideals. It happens to most of us, actually.

However the 'squeaky wheel getting the grease' is not a new concept, so it wouldn't be surprising if somebody could present some evidence that 'friends of' groups actually cause change in direction. But as yet I have not seen such evidence, just a bunch of 'friends of' bluster, and a bunch of people who are annoyed about it, meanwhile the cranes are still working away and stuff is getting built.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 7:04 PM

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 12:39 AM

Will the white paint be the final product or are there any plans to paint a mural overtop?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 12:46 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoshanMcG View Post
Will the white paint be the final product or are there any plans to paint a mural overtop?
Blank wall works best.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 1:52 AM

Rent out the space for advertising?

Source

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Blank wall works best.
Large murals in public spaces are almost always a poke in the eye.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 9:08 PM
Cap the Cut!

Interesting....a planter on Gottingen Street.

IMG-20220704-WA0000 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

IMG-20220704-WA0001 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 10:24 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrdeeharharharbour View Post
Interesting....a planter on Gottingen Street.

IMG-20220704-WA0000 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

IMG-20220704-WA0001 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr
Much more thought than Spring Garden Rd.

Appears as though an attempt was made to cover up the unattractive exposed concrete planter.

Last edited by Empire; Jul 8, 2022 at 12:20 AM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 1:48 AM

Looks difficult to mow, however.

Last edited by Keith P.; Jul 8, 2022 at 8:10 PM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 3:16 AM

Maitland Street Cooperative Housing (Compass NS Homes) is now under construction.

Website if you need a refresher on the plans.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Looks difficult to mow, however. ������
Perhaps they will hire a pygmy goat.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 5:19 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Website if you need a refresher on the plans.
I was a bit confused about this one. I thought phase 1 was the surface lot and phase 2 was the parking deck, and that the 2 separate buildings shown in the rendering were connected.

The gap between the buildings looks promising, like there will be a tiny block with a pedestrian area.

This is reminiscent of Ironstone Lane where there was an old lane that became a non-entity due to empty lots or surface parking, and may be resurrected. The floor plan shows "grade related units" on the Pickard Lane side.

It show just how much the complex urban fabric in the old parts of the city got trashed and simplified over time.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 6:42 PM
Closed account

Quote:
I was a bit confused about this one. I thought phase 1 was the surface lot and phase 2 was the parking deck, and that the 2 separate buildings shown in the rendering were connected.

The gap between the buildings looks promising, like there will be a tiny block with a pedestrian area.

This is reminiscent of Ironstone Lane where there was an old lane that became a non-entity due to empty lots or surface parking, and may be resurrected. The floor plan shows "grade related units" on the Pickard Lane side.

It show just how much the complex urban fabric in the old parts of the city got trashed and simplified over time.
One of my favourite things is looking at 'ghost streets' on Viewpoint - there's lots along Barrington between downtown and the MacDonald as well as a few on McNabs Island.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 11:24 AM

At one point I thought there was a thread for this, but I can't find it now. The long in the waiting site of "Cushing Hill" seems to be underway. Excavation has been chugging along for a few months. The issue was always access to this site bound by Oakmount Drive, Bedford Highway and the 102 (and ramps). I think a hotel was the original approval.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth