HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 10:37 PM

Photo from today:

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 4:33 AM

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 6:06 PM

This crane came down over the weekend. I would suspect this would be the best option for the Press Block site. Timing would work out well too.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2022, 11:42 PM

This has a small skyline impact.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Dec 3, 2023, 1:22 PM

Demolition permit has been submitted for 184 Portland Street. This is the current Moffats Pharmacy building so it appears they will be proceeding with phase two.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2023, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Demolition permit has been submitted for 184 Portland Street. This is the current Moffats Pharmacy building so it appears they will be proceeding with phase two.
Demolition before January 1 2024 results in a reduction in assessment for 2024
and any work on construction of a new building will not be added to the assessment roll until 2025.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2023, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
Demolition before January 1 2024 results in a reduction in assessment for 2024 and any work on construction of a new building will not be added to the assessment roll until 2025.
Close, but not quite. The magic date is not January 1, 2024. It's December 1, 2023. The 2024 assessment must reflect the physical state of the property on that day.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2023, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
Close, but not quite. The magic date is not January 1, 2024. It's December 1, 2023. The 2024 assessment must reflect the physical state of the property on that day.
One must wonder if there is a memo stuck to a bulletin board in the office that issues demolition permits telling everyone not to issue them from some mid-year date until after Dec. 1. HRM wants that tax revenue.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
One must wonder if there is a memo stuck to a bulletin board in the office that issues demolition permits telling everyone not to issue them from some mid-year date until after Dec. 1. HRM wants that tax revenue.
Mayor Savage will be gone to the Senate soon after that date. Time to find a good candidate to fill the big chair after the October 2024 election.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Mayor Savage will be gone to the Senate soon after that date. Time to find a good candidate to fill the big chair after the October 2024 election.
Oh I imagine Fillmore thinks that seat should be his and it just might be after the next Fed election.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
Oh I imagine Fillmore thinks that seat should be his and it just might be after the next Fed election.
The seat will be vacant on December 9 2024 and I doubt Trudeau will call an election before that date. And Savage is well regarded by LeBlanc and Trudeau. The pay for a Senator is $169,600 but the HRM pension would be significant at 24% of best 3 years earnings for a pension in excess of $43,000 plus CPP circa $16,000 in June 2025. More money, less work.

Last edited by Colin May; Dec 4, 2023 at 4:16 PM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 4:35 PM

Quote:
The seat will be vacant on December 9 2024 and I doubt Trudeau will call an election before that date. And Savage is well regarded by LeBlanc and Trudeau. The pay for a Senator is $169,600 but the HRM pension would be significant at 24% of best 3 years earnings for a pension in excess of $43,000 plus CPP circa $16,000 in June 2025. More money, less work.
Yes indeed, what did Senator Macdonald call it "twenty hours weeks and six figure salaries". Mike will fit right in.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 8:03 PM

Any pics of the first building?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 3:44 PM

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Thanks!, I only live a few blocks from there, but have not been in that area.
Nice to see the progress.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 7:46 PM

I think I saw that picture in the new Merriam-Webster next to the definition for "uninspiring". Or was it next to "generic"?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I think I saw that picture in the new Merriam-Webster next to the definition for "uninspiring". Or was it next to "generic"?
More accurately, HRM Generic

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 11:03 PM

Unfortunately Developments HFX posted a photo of an updated phase 2 rendering a few months back and that building changed a lot. The tall unique building has been made much lower and squat.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Unfortunately Developments HFX posted a photo of an updated phase 2 rendering a few months back and that building changed a lot. The tall unique building has been made much lower and squat.
Can confirm by hearsay. A friend of mine lives here and chats with the developer who is on-site pretty regularly.

The second building has been reduced to somewhere between 8-11 stories. The Council and their fear of heights strikes yet again.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarbingerDe View Post
Can confirm by hearsay. A friend of mine lives here and chats with the developer who is on-site pretty regularly.

The second building has been reduced to somewhere between 8-11 stories. The Council and their fear of heights strikes yet again.
It's not a Council fear of height. This site is as-of-right and the rules allow a higher height, but at the same density (FAR of 4.5). You can choose to build the allotted density tall and thin or low and thicker, depending on target market. This is exactly how FAR is supposed to function as a tool - give the flexibility to the developer to choose what works best for them. In this case AllNS reports the developer saying they chose to go lower to keep per unit costs down and target a more affordable market.

I really like the podium of the first building. The tower is indeed generic, but that is perfectly okay in my mind - it's not an offensive design, it does what it needs to do in terms of providing housing, and it otherwise fades into the background.

It's also interesting comparing this build to 222 Portland, just up the street. That one was a fairly big deal for the time because it was a new build at a time when DT Dartmouth had seen very little investment; however, when you contrast with 186 Portland it's very much apparent how much the quality of builds has increased over the intervening years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth