HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 5:56 PM

Rename a Street

How about a fun thread?

Any streets out in Vancouver and the metro area that you think should be renamed? We have lots of numbered arterial streets that are frequently used that I think deserve to have their own unique names. Some examples coming to mind include W. 41st, W. 1st (North Van), 104th Avenue (Surrey), etc.

What are some street names that you would like to see? Of course I am putting aside the fact that there would be significant administrative issues surrounding addresses.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
How about a fun thread?

Any streets out in Vancouver and the metro area that you think should be renamed? We have lots of numbered arterial streets that are frequently used that I think deserve to have their own unique names. Some examples coming to mind include W. 41st, W. 1st (North Van), 104th Avenue (Surrey), etc.

What are some street names that you would like to see? Of course I am putting aside the fact that there would be significant administrative issues surrounding addresses.
Cambie Street in Vancouver and Cambie Street in Richmond.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 7:15 PM

I'd suggest the ever-popular Trutch Street in Point Grey is ripe for a new name. Even by the standards of the era, Joseph Trutch, Trutch was particularly egregious to BC First Nations, carving out 90% of the reserves (which were of course created without treaties to begin with...)

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTerminalCity View Post
I'd suggest the ever-popular Trutch Street in Point Grey is ripe for a new name. Even by the standards of the era, Joseph Trutch, Trutch was particularly egregious to BC First Nations, carving out 90% of the reserves (which were of course created without treaties to begin with...)
I think many people might to a name change on the grounds you state, and perhaps for the singularly 'ugly' sound of the name 'Trutch' itself.
What would you suggest as a new name? A first nations name? Or a name in English language reflecting the reality of what happened under Joseph Trutch? All of this opens a new door.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
Cambie Street in Vancouver and Cambie Street in Richmond.
It's Cambie Road in Richmond. There are a lot of double names like that. There's a (really short) Granville St in New West.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
I think many people might to a name change on the grounds you state, and perhaps for the singularly 'ugly' sound of the name 'Trutch' itself.
What would you suggest as a new name? A first nations name? Or a name in English language reflecting the reality of what happened under Joseph Trutch? All of this opens a new door.
Personally I'd say a First Nations name from one of the local Nations. Obviously most of the streets named after people here are for white men...a change would reflect more of the real diversity of the city over time. One option could be 'Eyalmu', which was the name of the nearby village site at Jericho Beach, though presumably the City and the Nations should chat if that were a serious idea.

And agreed...'Trutch' just doesn't sound that nice anyway.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 3:23 AM

10th west of Alma could become "Alqsen/Ulksen," and NEFC could become "Kiwa'esks."

There's a limit though - renaming Stanley Park to "Xwayxway" is never happening.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
10th west of Alma could become "Alqsen/Ulksen," and NEFC could become "Kiwa'esks."

There's a limit though - renaming Stanley Park to "Xwayxway" is never happening.
I am all for honuring and respecting the First Nations. However, their language is rather hard to pronounce correctly for English speakers, and their alphabet a little bit foreign, too.
And, yes, there is a limit. I personally think Stanley Park should stay Stanley Park.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
It's Cambie Road in Richmond. There are a lot of double names like that. There's a (really short) Granville St in New West.
there is also a Granville Avenue in Richmond.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
there is also a Granville Avenue in Richmond.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Exactly. We really don't need double names like that.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 6:42 AM

Need a Lululemon Lane.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 4:01 AM

Rename the Surrey streets back to the original historic names, only Scott Road/Pacific Hwy is still widely used.

152nd Street – Johnston Road
192nd Street – Latimer Road

88th Avenue – Kennedy Road
104th Avenue – Hjorth Road

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 6:52 PM
victory in near

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/longform/streets

I'm happy changing all the street names that have to do with golf courses, walter scott, some random people from the UK, or some random landowner

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 8:33 PM

Since any historical figure is now considered controversial in this P.C world , I would actually like to see streets renamed after mountain ranges found all over BC:

- Tantalus
- Waddington (after Mount Waddington)
- Thudaka (Thudaka Peak)
- Muskwa (Muskwa ranges)
- Edziza (Mount Edziza)
- Ulysses (Mout Ulysses)
- Cassiar
- Itcha Ilgachuz

I feel like there would be a good balance of names from the mountains that won't get censored . Heck you could do a Waddington avenue and then give the native name of it (sorry I don't know it off hand) to another street that crosses it? Now I know that some of these mountains were named after people but just stay with me here...

To me mountain ranges is better than just numbered streets and they celebrate the mountains this beautiful province has.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Last edited by scryer; Feb 8, 2020 at 10:09 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 10:56 PM

Individual mountains (Grouse, Baker, Lions) and rivers (Skeena, Nechako) would be good too.

Re: Trutch, Google Maps has seen fit to rename the area "Greektown," so something classical might be able to fit.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 11:18 PM

I guess using Robson for Mt. Robson is already taken .

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 11:26 PM

Ditto Cypress and Seymour.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Ditto Cypress and Seymour.
Ha!
From around here I'd add Bugaboo and Valhalla.
We actually have a Mt Siwash same name as the Stanley Park feature.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
Rename the Surrey streets back to the original historic names, only Scott Road/Pacific Hwy is still widely used.

152nd Street – Johnston Road
192nd Street – Latimer Road

88th Avenue – Kennedy Road
104th Avenue – Hjorth Road
I think that is a very good idea, and not for any idle reason, either.
The roads in Surrey, North Surrey and South, were, as most people are aware, switched from names to numbers decades ago, for the sake of convenience.
In Ocean Park, small but (then) charming rural streets, like Welch Road, Howard Road, Giblin Road, and the others, lost their names and became numbers.
This effectively erased some local history from the Lower Mainland. I totally agree with the suggestion,as it would restore character to the area.
Some "PCers" might reply that as these are not First Nation names, they should not be done. IMO they are valid. They are historic. The First Nations will continue to
be honoured in other name choices, but these streets were set out and named by pioneers, and should be restored.
Above all, this would be a refreshing and wholesome break from the sterile banalization that numbered-and-lettered streets create in any neighbourhood, anywhere.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues