HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 10:29 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I think you meant kid
lol. oh my. I'm changing that before the internet police come by. thanks

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
Fetenyl is used all the time and is totally safe when administered by professionals.

Try popping a kid out of your vagina without it. Epidurals are made from fetenyl

but I get what you are trying to say

EDIT: edit for typo. I have fat thumbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
They use cocaine as a topical for eye surgery. Works like a charm.

But I agree that the rise in drug abuse of painkillers is very much linked to doctors prescribing them like candy.
I don't really know, but would a single-time use during child birth or surgery actually cause patients to be addicted to this drug? I'm thinking more of addiction as a constant exposure rather than a one-time deal.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 10:59 PM

I find this article from Michael Geller rather interesting, obviously there are many other factors at play why we can't seem to solve our problems.....what do you guys think?

Could trash be the answer to helping Vancouver’s homeless get back on their feet?
https://www.vancourier.com/opinion/c...eet-1.23371384

Ten years ago, I ran for Vancouver city council, in part because I wanted to try and improve the living conditions and appearance of the Downtown Eastside.

During the election campaign, Gregor Robertson promised to end homelessness. I too wanted to end homelessness.

The first was that the city set up modular housing for homeless people on vacant lots, to be relocated to other vacant lots when the properties were ready for development. The concept was based on my 1971 architecture thesis at the University of Toronto.

While the idea was ridiculed by Downtown Eastside activists, 10 years later it is gratifying to see it gain acceptance, not just in Vancouver but around the region and province.

Another approach was family reunification. Most homeless people are estranged from their families, often for very good reasons. While many have no interest in seeing their families again, some do, but need help connecting.

I subsequently learned some social service agencies are actively pursuing this approach, especially with homeless youth. But much more should be done.

A third observation was that many homeless people would not be homeless if only they had a job. While many were not capable of working, others were.

However, if they lived on the street or in a shelter they had no address to put on a job application. Without a phone, prospective employer could not contact them. Many needed dental care and grooming to increase their chances at employment.

During the election campaign, I learned about EMBERS,the Eastside Movement for Business and Economic Renewal Society. As noted on its website embersvancouver.com, it is a registered non-profit that helps people facing barriers to work to lead productive, fulfilling lives by offering job placements, training and support.

I employed people from EMBERS to put up many of my election signs.

Following the election, I wondered why the City of Vancouver didn’t hire those who wanted to work but were homeless or living in shelters to help clean up the DTES and elsewhere. I approached the engineering department and park board, but quickly learned the answer. The city’s union would not permit this.

Fast forward to Fort Worth, Texas, 2018.

Fort Worth has been trying out a new way to get homeless people back on their feet, while cleaning up the city at the same time.

A program called Clean Slate, funded by the city and run by the Presbyterian Night Shelter, pays the area's homeless to collect trash. According to media accounts and an online video, it is a win-win proposition. It provides incomes so people can move out of homeless shelters or off the streets, and helps keep surrounding neighbourhoods clean.

One participant said he ended up homeless and distanced from his family after serving time in prison for drugs and struggling to find a job. After living in the shelter for almost two years, he's about to move into his own apartment.

Employees are welcome to work for the program as long as they want, but the long-term goal is to use the opportunity as a stepping-stone to transition into the workforce.

Fort Worth currently spends about $48,000 a year on the program, but it is planned to grow next year.

Several other U.S. cities have implemented similar programs. In 2015, Albuquerque started paying panhandlers $9 an hour to pull weeds and clean up trash around the city.

Los Angeles city council created a similar program that offers jobs to the homeless and addresses the more than 200 requests the city receives per day regarding trash issues.

When I posted the Fort Worth experience on Facebook, it received a lot of “likes.” But it also attracted a comment from a friend who pointed out it is not just the homeless who are barred from helping to keep the city clean by the unions.

My friend’s mother, who had recently moved from a house to an apartment, wanted to continue gardening, so she offered to do some weeding and gardening at Van Dusen Gardens where she volunteered.

But the union wouldn’t let her.

We need a multi-pronged approach to addressing homelessness and keeping our city streets and parks clean and tidy. I hope the next council and union leaders will agree.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 11:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
That's why the US is going down the drain. I don't think there is a lot of attention paid to the lower echelon of the society when the whole country is either obssessed about their own bread and butter, or continue to prop up the 1%. Many areas of the country are fast joining the Third World, and it just happens to be the richest country in the world only because of its glorious past.

That brings me back to DTES. It is true that Canada as a whole is still pretty good at managing the opiod/fentanyl crisis. I don't see huge zombie neighbourhoods when I visit cities like Victoria, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City, etc. However, we in Vancouver have drug/fentanyl death rate figures that challenge the worst areas in the US. That is indeed very shameful, in that we as a society has let DTES slide from bad to worse. I do seriously think we need more drastic actions.

There should be zero tolerance of all illegal drug sales, and criminals caught need to be punished to the highest extents of the law. Hard core addicts need to be forced into detox before they start offing themselves. Drug crimes should be treated like homicide cases, and hardcore addicts should be considered as suicidal. We don't let a murderer back on the street after being caught, do we? And we would obviously stop a desperate and suicidal person from attempting to jump from a bridge, by force if necessary.

I understand there would be lot of resistance from a whole slew of people about what I just said, but desperate times need desperate measures. More humane measures, like counselling and support, participating in voluntary detox programmes, etc. can always be the follow-up after the crisis is averted.

One thing I can't stand is to hear a politician make a request to flood the market with free drugs, and leave it at that. Yeah, we may reduce the quick-deaths, but it only achieves to prolong the torture and delay the inevitable. DTES is still going to be there.
I’d vote for you, we need to stop being soft on drug criminals.

I’m also totally for work programs for welfare receipts and criminals, people should never be allowed to get into the habit of not doing anything for a day. But as has been pointed out the unions hate the idea of competition for government jobs.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 11:09 PM

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/oxycon...says-1.4279070

Glad this is finally becoming news. The company behind Oxy's have a special place in hell

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post

Glad this is finally becoming news. The company behind Oxy's have a special place in hell
That should read 'prime time news' - they've been in the news for awhile.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 3:35 AM

Quote:

During the election campaign, I learned about EMBERS,the Eastside Movement for Business and Economic Renewal Society. As noted on its website embersvancouver.com, it is a registered non-profit that helps people facing barriers to work to lead productive, fulfilling lives by offering job placements, training and support.

I employed people from EMBERS to put up many of my election signs.

Following the election, I wondered why the City of Vancouver didn’t hire those who wanted to work but were homeless or living in shelters to help clean up the DTES and elsewhere. I approached the engineering department and park board, but quickly learned the answer. The city’s union would not permit this.
Michael is out of touch. The City already provides grants to Non-profit organizations in the DTES to clean the streets. The program has been around since 1999, and you see the crews clearing the streets (and the lanes) on a regular basis. They have safety vests and proper equipment, so it's not necessarily easy to tell them from City employees.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 4:07 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

That’s a pretty smart way to get around the union to help out the marginalized.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Michael is out of touch. The City already provides grants to Non-profit organizations in the DTES to clean the streets. The program has been around since 1999, and you see the crews clearing the streets (and the lanes) on a regular basis. They have safety vests and proper equipment, so it's not necessarily easy to tell them from City employees.
Don't you think the more done the merrier it will be? Even though we see the City go through the Non-profit organizations to help clear the streets, wouldn't one directly managed by the City be a better idea: both for logistics and coordination reasons? As it is, downtown's cleanliness is questionable, and DTES is downright filthy. Therefore I don't think enough is being done. We need a lot more participation from local residents, and if what Michael Geller said was true, Unions are certainly in the way.

With all that said, I notice that the new mayor is indeed improving on the general cleanliness of downtown, but more needs to be done.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post

So why is their business legal and probably enjoying millions of tax cuts by the Trump administration while people get hooked to their poison and get killed? I hope this becomes more than news: the monsters running this company should be arrested and incarcerated like criminals.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 1:00 AM

This video was made almost a decade ago before the fentanyl crisis struck DTES. It's already an extremely miserable place back then.

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 1:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
This video was made almost a decade ago before the fentanyl crisis struck DTES. It's already an extremely miserable place back then.

Video Link
Yep people forget what life was like just a few years ago (hint it wasn’t any better).

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 2:08 AM

Quote:
It's been miserable for a lot longer than that. A timeline from Wiki:
Quote:
Around the beginning of the 20th century, the DTES was the political, cultural, and retail centre of the city. Over several decades, the city centre gradually shifted westwards and the DTES became a poor, although relatively stable, neighbourhood. In the 1980s, the area began a rapid decline due to several factors including an influx of hard drugs, the de-institutionalization of mentally ill individuals, policies that pushed prostitution and drug-related activity out of nearby areas, and the cessation of federal funding for social housing. By 1997, an epidemic of HIV infection and drug overdoses in the DTES led to the declaration of a public health emergency. As of 2018, critical issues include opioid overdoses, especially those involving the drug fentanyl; decrepit and squalid housing; a shortage of low-cost rental housing; and a high prevalence of severe mental illness, which often co-occurs with addiction.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
It's been miserable for a lot longer than that. A timeline from Wiki:
Therefore it's even more embarrassing that the city, province, country, and society as a whole have been failing to alleviate the problems there. It's like a festering and growing virus that everyone here either gets desensitized to or prefers to sweep under the carpet: out of sight, out of mind.

Guess there are also serial killers living amongst us, and preying on women living in the DTES....

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/wome...bruary-14-2019

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Therefore it's even more embarrassing that the city, province, country, and society as a whole have been failing to alleviate the problems there.
What would *you* do to make a difference? It's not as if no one cares - many people and levels of gov have tried to make a difference and thrown a lot of money at the DTES (our ghetto). You can see how well that's turned out...

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 5:16 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Over several decades, the city centre gradually shifted westwards and the DTES became a poor, although relatively stable, neighbourhood. In the 1980s, the area began a rapid decline due to several factors including an influx of hard drugs, the de-institutionalization of mentally ill individuals, policies that pushed prostitution and drug-related activity out of nearby areas, and the cessation of federal funding for social housing
You can thank Bill Vander Zalm, the Chinese backers of Concord Pacific and some very shady real estate deals tied to the Expo lands and the Yaletown area for that one.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 6:22 PM

Quote:
What would *you* do to make a difference? It's not as if no one cares - many people and levels of gov have tried to make a difference and thrown a lot of money at the DTES (our ghetto). You can see how well that's turned out...
Like creating awareness and picking a government that takes more responsibility? Obviously the previous efforts are not working and failing. I already outlined what can be done before, please scroll up to read.

Also, I don't believe in giving out free drugs as meted out by many politicians and NGOs, as this will not solve anything, but delaying the imminent.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
You can thank Bill Vander Zalm, the Chinese backers of Concord Pacific and some very shady real estate deals tied to the Expo lands and the Yaletown area for that one.
So are you saying that there should be no Yaletown today, but instead a rundown industrial wasteland filled with prostitution and drug use beside Falsecreek today? Was awaiting a remark from someone to blame the Chinese, and here we go yet again.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 6:42 PM
HVAC guru

^ ITts well documented. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not true.

It's that age old question: does the end justify the means ? Was it worth it to create all the problems that exist in the DTES by negotiating an extremely questionable and unethical land deal between the province and a Chinese company (with the city of Vancouver complicit) From what I've heard someone should probably have gone to jail for how that all went down. And it's a testament to how we treat people as a society. In this case, push the undesirables north of the Gerogia viaduct so that real estate developers could create the west coast urban utopia that exists there today. The Expo/ Yaletown development is a paradox: it's brought out both the very best and very worst of the city. And yes it comes down to money. And everyone knows where that money went.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
^ ITts well documented. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not true.

It's that age old question: does the end justify the means ? Was it worth it to create all the problems that exist in the DTES by negotiating an extremely questionable and unethical land deal between the province and a Chinese company (with the city of Vancouver complicit) From what I've heard someone should probably have gone to jail for how that all went down. And it's a testament to how we treat people as a society. In this case, push the undesirables north of the Gerogia viaduct so that real estate developers could create the west coast urban utopia that exists there today. The Expo/ Yaletown development is a paradox: it's brought out both the very best and very worst of the city. And yes it comes down to money. And everyone knows where that money went.
Concord Pacific was/is a Canadian company, founded and primarily capitalized by Hong Kong-based Li Ka-Shing during the time in which Hong Kong was still a British colony. Concord Pacific is not now, nor has ever been, a Chinese company. One is free to think and say what they wish about the Expo Lands decision and its subsequent Concord Pacific-led redevelopment, but it's erroneous to post-rationalize it as a Chinese-led process.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues