HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 4:27 AM

Location: Another great post taking place from the best place on earth!
Vancouver hires former San Francisco city planner

Vancouver has plucked a new chief planner from another North American city struggling with high housing prices and intense battles over gentrification and density.

After months of delay, the city announced on Tuesday that San Francisco’s recent director of citywide planning, Gil Kelley, will become Vancouver’s chief planner and general manager of the new department of planning, urban design and sustainability. He will start work on Sept. 15.

“Gil will help take Vancouver to the next level in becoming a greener, more affordable and inclusive city,” Mayor Gregor Robertson said in a prepared statement. “Gil’s extensive experience in cities like San Francisco and Portland is highly valuable at a time when Vancouver is facing an affordability challenge like never before.”

As in Vancouver, San Francisco has seen double-digit annual increases in home prices that have made the city among the most expensive in the United States.

The announcement is the latest in a series of changes in top management at the city during the past year. Vancouver’s previous planning head, Brian Jackson, retired last November. Since then, builders of both large and small projects have complained that processing times have become impossibly long.

Mr. Jackson’s departure, combined with such changes as the mayor’s decision to replace city manager Penny Ballem, meant that five top positions at the city have changed in the last year.

Some of the changes are part of Mr. Robertson’s effort to fulfill a campaign promise to make his Vision Vancouver party more responsive to communities and more open to consultation about development.

Vancouver has seen an unprecedented level of opposition to development in recent years, as available room in the city’s old industrial lands around the downtown has run out and builders have moved into established neighbourhoods.

Resident groups have sprung up to oppose individual projects and entire neighbourhood plans. They have frequently complained that the city is driving through projects while paying lip service to community objections.

The city’s news release said that Mr. Kelley’s work in San Francisco “included preparation of a new citywide transportation plan, development of policies and strategies to advance affordable housing preservation and development, a waterfront plan that includes a long-term strategy for addressing sea-level rise and public access.”

He has also “overseen a new community development function focused primarily on stabilization strategies for neighbourhoods in extreme tension (gentrification and displacement), as well as under-served communities.”

Before working in San Francisco, Mr. Kelley was the director of planning for Portland, Ore., a city that many Vancouver urbanists have seen as a model for neighbourhood consultation and development.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com//news...27/?cmpid=rss1

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 5:17 AM

I'm not sure San Francisco is seen as a shining example of affordability these days. Taking someone from a city that is plagued with similar problems as us doesn't really seem like a good idea, especially since their efforts have obviously not been successful in making housing more affordable.

It sounds like he's pretty good with public consultation and the like, but I'm not sure he's the guy to bring the right action from a city planning perspective to help affordability; will he able to get the amount and type of development necessary to bring housing costs down in this city? I guess only time will tell.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
I'm not sure San Francisco is seen as a shining example of affordability these days. Taking someone from a city that is plagued with similar problems as us doesn't really seem like a good idea, especially since their efforts have obviously not been successful in making housing more affordable.

It sounds like he's pretty good with public consultation and the like, but I'm not sure he's the guy to bring the right action from a city planning perspective to help affordability; will he able to get the amount and type of development necessary to bring housing costs down in this city? I guess only time will tell.
In his defence, San Fran's housing problems stem more from caving in to NIMBY pressure and increased demand from Silicon Valley workers than any failure of planning.
An unregulated real estate market inflated by PRC money should be easy in comparison.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
An unregulated real estate market inflated by PRC money should be easy in comparison.
Wheeew! I just hope like Hades you're right !!!!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 3:14 PM

Having worked in San Francisco, he must feel like a kid in a candy shop right now. Imagine working in a city that actually allows density!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
In his defence, San Fran's housing problems stem more from caving in to NIMBY pressure and increased demand from Silicon Valley workers than any failure of planning.
Caving in to NIMBY pressure? Sounds familiar: Vancouver is excellent at that. This new guy must be feeling a lot at home now....arm-twisting with the retired flower children of the yesteryears.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 7:34 PM

The fact that he's seen the problem, and has considered various solutions in a city with similar geographic constraints, is some cause for comfort.

He obviously has ideas, which for whatever reason, were not able to be implemented by SF City Council. We have the same problem here (as does every city, for that matter). During his interview, he must have had plenty of opportunity to articulate those ideas, which I assume sufficiently impressed the selection committee.

He's not the guy I was rooting for, but I'm certainly willing to have an open mind.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 10:44 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveston View Post

The fact that he's seen the problem, and has considered various solutions in a city with similar geographic constraints, is some cause for comfort.
He's seen the problem and considered various solutions? How do you know his various solutions were not a part of the problem, or at least impotent to deal with it?

Based purely on the Globe and Mail article (which is obviously insufficient to make a conclusive judgment, so provisionally speaking), he does not sound promising at all. Indeed, he sounds like the exact opposite of what Vancouver needs right now and appears to be further evidence of the city's recent capitulation (e.g. the firing of Penny Ballem, the "retiring" of Brian Jackson, the consequent neutering of recent tower proposals originally supported by Brian Jackson, etc.) to the anti-development hysteria and the mayor's cowardice (or intellectual inability) to lead the city to the next level of civic development and out of its current pyschological logjam, i.e., its absurd identity crisis between immutable small town and dynamic big city.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 11:55 PM

Location: Another great post taking place from the best place on earth!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
He's seen the problem and considered various solutions? How do you know his various solutions were not a part of the problem, or at least impotent to deal with it?

Based purely on the Globe and Mail article (which is obviously insufficient to make a conclusive judgment, so provisionally speaking), he does not sound promising at all. Indeed, he sounds like the exact opposite of what Vancouver needs right now and appears to be further evidence of the city's recent capitulation (e.g. the firing of Penny Ballem, the "retiring" of Brian Jackson, the consequent neutering of recent tower proposals originally supported by Brian Jackson, etc.) to the anti-development hysteria and the mayor's cowardice (or intellectual inability) to lead the city to the next level of civic development and out of its current pyschological logjam, i.e., its absurd identity crisis between immutable small town and dynamic big city.
I would say it is too early to really judge based on this article. That said I think your post hit the nail on the head. This seems like a puppet hiring for Gregor Robertson agenda.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 8:37 PM

Four years, not a bad run but was any meaningful change made?

Vancouver's chief planner Gil Kelley leaving city hall
Deputy director of planning Theresa O’Donnell has been appointed by council to serve as the Director of Planning on an interim basis.

Author of the article: Dan Fumano
Publishing date:Mar 15, 2021

Gil Kelley, the head of Vancouver’s planning department, is leaving his job after four years in the role.

Kelley, whose official title was general manager of planning, urban design and sustainability, arrived at the City of Vancouver in October of 2016, coming from San Francisco, where he served as the director of citywide planning.

Responding to an inquiry from Postmedia News, a City of Vancouver representative said Monday that Kelley was leaving the city “to pursue other endeavours.”....

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...ving-city-hall

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Four years, not a bad run but was any meaningful change made?

Vancouver's chief planner Gil Kelley leaving city hall
Deputy director of planning Theresa O’Donnell has been appointed by council to serve as the Director of Planning on an interim basis.

Author of the article: Dan Fumano
Publishing date:Mar 15, 2021

Gil Kelley, the head of Vancouver’s planning department, is leaving his job after four years in the role.

Kelley, whose official title was general manager of planning, urban design and sustainability, arrived at the City of Vancouver in October of 2016, coming from San Francisco, where he served as the director of citywide planning.

Responding to an inquiry from Postmedia News, a City of Vancouver representative said Monday that Kelley was leaving the city “to pursue other endeavours.”....

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...ving-city-hall
Waste of money.

Nothing against the man personally. But come on. From San Fran to Vancouver, humorous.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post
Waste of money.

Nothing against the man personally. But come on. From San Fran to Vancouver, humorous.
We don't seem to have much luck in retaining them for long.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Waste of money.

What do you mean there?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
What do you mean there?
The way I'm interpreting that is that it's a bit of a "downgrade", prestige-wise. I can easily see him being poached by a bigger, up-and-coming American city like Austin or Miami. Maybe even NYC.

Quote:
Waste of money.
Someone has to do that job.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
What do you mean there?
2 municipalities known the continent wide for having;

- Strongest NIMBY's around
- Massive ongoing housing problems
- Massive amounts of SFH in spitting distance of rapidly growing urban cores
- Similar economic make up
- Similar social policy approaches
- Massive red tape on new housing
- Dated piece meal approaches to planning

Very similar problems plague both. These cities dont need similar approaches or to be looking at each other for advice.
This is akin to a raging heroin addict asking advice on how to quit from a raging heroin addict - not a recipe for success.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
The way I'm interpreting that is that it's a bit of a "downgrade", prestige-wise. I can easily see him being poached by a bigger, up-and-coming American city like Austin or Miami. Maybe even NYC.
Perhaps. I do wish him personal success.

Quote:
Someone has to do that job.
Do they though? Do they really? How critical would it be if this job went unfilled for a long period of time? Other than a scape goat for inaction, I wonder what other value is really provided by these high level bureaucrats.

I'm willing to bet the average Vancouverite would not know a difference, not now, not next year. Be it positive, or negative.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Waste of money.

Exactly. What a waste of tax payer's money. Our fetish for anything American needs to stop. To hire someone who used to oversee the planning for SF is just laughable to say the least.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Perhaps. I do wish him personal success.

Do they though? Do they really? How critical would it be if this job went unfilled for a long period of time? Other than a scape goat for inaction, I wonder what other value is really provided by these high level bureaucrats.

I'm willing to bet the average Vancouverite would not know a difference, not now, not next year. Be it positive, or negative.
Seeing how most folks don't know what the Mayor can and cannot do or what anyone in any role at the City does, I wouldn't be surprised.

For instance, do we need a chief of the police?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 10:45 PM

We don't need an expert planner in the role, we need an expert manager. The rules are in place, the staff is there. We need streamlined process.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 10:52 PM

I wonder if you got rid of the scapegoat then who gets the blame if they left the role vacant.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues