HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 4:15 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Can we please have a thread for 1326 S. Michigan? The tower breaks the unofficial height limit for South of Roosevelt and I like the design for the proposal a lot. I know it's just under the 500' club, but so are a few other threads in the Chicago Thread (Block 37, N. McClurg, McCormick Place hotel, Wolf Point West)

I'd definitely be supportive as well for a thread for 1326 S. Michigan. It rises to the occasion imo.

On 1326, that could be a very important project for adding energy to this stretch of Michigan in the South Loop. I hope for some refinement in the design, sure, but overall I think it would be not bad at all if built as designed at present (hey, at least SCB is diversifying away from their thoroughly played-out horizontal banding, right?!). I actually might have even preferred if it was built with the N/S orientation.....

Here's what I would really like, though: A developer with a similar infill parcel in the South Loop - maybe on Michigan itself as well - to commission bKL to design a similarly-scaled tower. It would be fantastic to get an elegant bKL curtain-walled box (something like 200 N Michigan maybe) of 400-500' in the South Loop......

PS Thanks, Spyguy for digging up and sharing all these with us! Agree that the RTKL proposal looks like an interesting one....

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Sep 24, 2015 at 4:31 PM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 4:30 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
Lend lease is more like 300 for the next few years, and vinoly is like 600 for the next few years.

I doubt Lend Lease/CMK will just be doing one building in River South over the next few years....I'd bet on at least two - in one or both of their two parcels......also, isn't first phase of Vinoly closer to 800 units?

Speaking of all this juicy South Loop action, what about the 1 or 2 significant towers planned for the Franklin Point parcel (that corner of the northern Lend Lease/CMK parcel that is carved out to different developer(s))? At least one of them pretty significant and being designed by Goettsch.........does that developer want to submit its paperwork with the city this week as well, maybe??

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 4:37 PM

alright now when do we get to see this Essex Inn tower?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
I doubt Lend Lease/CMK will just be doing one building in River South over the next few years....I'd bet on at least two - in one or both of their two parcels......also, isn't first phase of Vinoly closer to 800 units?

Speaking of all this juicy South Loop action, what about the 1 or 2 significant towers planned for the Franklin Point parcel (that corner of the northern Lend Lease/CMK parcel that is carved out to different developer(s))? At least one of them pretty significant and being designed by Goettsch.........does that developer want to submit its paperwork with the city this week as well, maybe??
I've been in the area since 2007, and within the first week took our dog to play in the unofficial dog park in that lot. From my very first trip I've been hearing "don't get used to this space, they're going to start construction here any day now." Nothing ever happens. There have been more rounds of "for sale" signs followed by "coming soon" signs than I can count. I'm not holding out any hope until I see the construction cranes pull up and bulldozers digging huge holes. That plot of land just seems cursed.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 5:56 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if we heard something soon. They were doing soil testing on that plot Monday-Wednesday this week.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 6:08 PM

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 6:13 PM

^That's pretty damn good.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 6:26 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIII View Post
Nice!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 6:30 PM

Quote:
This is seriously my new favorite thing

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 6:32 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
i freaking love the internet!

strong work, XIII.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 6:33 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
this is tooooo much

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 7:35 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Uh, That's amazing, and now the rest of my afternoon is pretty much shot........can't......stop......watching......

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 7:40 PM

Driving drive Division today I saw the temporary demolition fence and an excavator in the courtyard between the 4 - 3 story buildings that are going to come down for phase 1 of the Atrium Village. Awaiting a demo permit?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 8:12 PM
Metal Up Your !

In that gif with Mcmahan, what is that weird looking tent thing?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
Lucas museum. It was one that moved to Chicago after SFO blocked the presidio location. They modernized it for the location here.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 8:15 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
thread link:

CHICAGO | Lucas Museum of Narrative Art

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 12:32 AM

Looking at that GIF I am realizing how many different styles are represented in the current proposals. From traditionalist RAMSA to the experimental entirely computer driven Lucas museum design. It seems the current trend in skyscraper architecture both in Chicago and in NYC is toward structural complexity and textured cladding. (Wanda, 1000 S. Michigan Ave, 2 WTC, Hudson Yards, One Vanderbilt, Steinway, etc.)

I think that's why I love the K+S 130 N Franklin so much and maybe why I find Aqua so appealing. If there is a unique Chicago thread in the recent proposals it's in 130 N Franklin. It doesn't need some inefficient structural system to be interesting or some tacked on elements for texture. It manages to be structurally simple/efficient and interesting / more textured at the same time.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Actually, I think they're trying to get their stuff in before the affordable housing amendment takes affect.
Ding, ding, ding!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 2:40 AM

Quote:
I'd definitely be supportive as well for a thread for 1326 S. Michigan. It rises to the occasion imo.

On 1326, that could be a very important project for adding energy to this stretch of Michigan in the South Loop. I hope for some refinement in the design, sure, but overall I think it would be not bad at all if built as designed at present (hey, at least SCB is diversifying away from their thoroughly played-out horizontal banding, right?!). I actually might have even preferred if it was built with the N/S orientation.....

Here's what I would really like, though: A developer with a similar infill parcel in the South Loop - maybe on Michigan itself as well - to commission bKL to design a similarly-scaled tower. It would be fantastic to get an elegant bKL curtain-walled box (something like 200 N Michigan maybe) of 400-500' in the South Loop......

PS Thanks, Spyguy for digging up and sharing all these with us! Agree that the RTKL proposal looks like an interesting one....
Totally agree that this new project along with the completion of the 2 projects on Wabash will add life to this stretch of Michigan. (there is basically a giant hole on the 1300 block of Michigan and Wabash)

And it sets a nice precedent for a tall tower "inland" infill. At the corner of Wabash and Michigan there are two lots and a storage building that would be amazing if we could get another 500' tower. East side of Michigan, south of the Firehouse on 14th has the old mail carrier's building that's for sale that would be prime for another tall building (east of that parcel is mostly rowhouses, so it would have clear views of the lake.)

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 4:17 AM

Quote:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations