HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
I'm pretty sure I post this from a Suntimes link.
Are we no longer allowed to post business news unless its good news?

If its deleted does it mean its not true?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...pgy-story.html

Tyson Foods will move about 500 corporate employees in Chicago, Downers Grove to Arkansas headquarters

By Talia Soglin and Brian J. Rogal
Chicago

Oct 05, 2022 at 11:52 am
I take these as layoffs basically without having to say it. The amount of those employees who will move to Arkansas will be a decently small percent. I'll put it at 25% max. Companies like ConAgra, Kraft, etc have a number of job openings for corporate. From a career perspective some people would be taking a step back in that industry by moving to NWA. Now there's worse places. Wal Mart and suppliers are there so it's not the end of the world but Chicago area definitely has it beat for corporate jobs in that industry.

So yeah these are basically layoffs and I doubt they are banking on many actually moving. Plus they can hire less experienced workers in Arkansas for cheaper.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 1:55 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I take these as layoffs basically without having to say it. The amount of those employees who will move to Arkansas will be a decently small percent. I'll put it at 25% max. Companies like ConAgra, Kraft, etc have a number of job openings for corporate. From a career perspective some people would be taking a step back in that industry by moving to NWA. Now there's worse places. Wal Mart and suppliers are there so it's not the end of the world but Chicago area definitely has it beat for corporate jobs in that industry.

So yeah these are basically layoffs and I doubt they are banking on many actually moving. Plus they can hire less experienced workers in Arkansas for cheaper.
I was thinking the same thing. They're also doing this to their south Dakota offices, apparently.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I was thinking the same thing. They're also doing this to their south Dakota offices, apparently.
Yes. There's about as many people in their Dakota Dunes, SD office as in Chicago. About 500 to 700 each. Honestly it's a way of downsizing corporate. They must not think highly of the types of roles they're looking to relocate tbh. Moving is hard and typically those who do it are either higher uo execs who are paid well, older people whose kids have moved out, and younger people who aren't necessarily attached to 1 place/lifestyle. For everyone else, moving isn't necessarily easy. Some companies used to make it easier by buying up employees' homes and helping to sell them but I think this practice has severely waned.

I'm sure some will move but I also think that it won't be more than 25%.

Last edited by marothisu; Oct 6, 2022 at 3:03 AM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboy560 View Post
That seems fairly impressive, but I’m curious to see how it compares to other states. What are your thoughts on the numbers, marothisu? I’m always a fan of your posts so I’m curious to get your insight and thoughts on these figures.
Well - I'm not an economist This will be a WIP especially because some states have different fiscal years, and some report differently (i.e gross only vs. gross and net). But here's some I could find for comparing Jul+Aug 2022 vs 2021..

Texas: +19.32%
Massachusetts: +15.88%
Indiana: +11.02%
Illinois: +9.32%
Tennessee: +8.3%
New York: +6.74%
Kentucky: +6.52%
Georgia: +5.54%
Maine: +4.7%
California: -1.26%

Inflation for US city average from August 2021 to August 2022 was 8.26%

Last edited by marothisu; Oct 6, 2022 at 4:26 AM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 1:42 PM
urbanpln

Quote:
Yes. There's about as many people in their Dakota Dunes, SD office as in Chicago. About 500 to 700 each. Honestly it's a way of downsizing corporate. They must not think highly of the types of roles they're looking to relocate tbh. Moving is hard and typically those who do it are either higher uo execs who are paid well, older people whose kids have moved out, and younger people who aren't necessarily attached to 1 place/lifestyle. For everyone else, moving isn't necessarily easy. Some companies used to make it easier by buying up employees' homes and helping to sell them but I think this practice has severely waned.

I'm sure some will move but I also think that it won't be more than 25%.
Glad you explained because certain media outlets a using this to bash Chicago again. I don't understand why our local media does not fight back. I guess I really do know the know the answer to that. Bad news sells.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 2:24 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanpln View Post
Glad you explained because certain media outlets a using this to bash Chicago again. I don't understand why our local media does not fight back. I guess I really do know the know the answer to that. Bad news sells.
It's weird because most local news outlets in the nation are very boosterish. But not here...

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanpln View Post
The media can be so annoying sometimes. No doubt losing positions in town sucks, but the fact that a suburb of Sioux City, IA located in South Dakota is losing as many jobs as rhe Chicago area in the same company and also moving to the same place as the Chicago ones should tell people this isn't really a "Chicago problem" for this case specifically. Just dumb that people can see this fact and still believe it's a "Chicago sky is falling" thing.

BTW, there's a bunch of corporate roles open right now in town at companies like ConAgra. You'd have to think that they are contacting local Tyson workers all of a sudden about these roles (other companies have many corporate openings too).

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
It's weird because most local news outlets in the nation are very boosterish. But not here...
I don’t think most of our local media actually lives in the city. Half the city proper wasn’t born in Illinois.

Instead of trying to build viewership among new groups, they double down on their suburban audience or even people in AZ and FL.

That’s one reason the local media could go chasing the “cHiCaGo MaSs EXODUS” story for over a decade, when real estate and utilities were showing that was very unlikely.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 3:15 PM

For over a century, Chicago’s “doom” has been entertainment for American people with very boring lives who live in very boring unchanging places.

And the most chaotic and unpredictable and thus entertaining big city of them all is Chicago.

Saul Bellow wrote a whole article on the topic in 1983.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 4:39 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyfox View Post

man, I'm literally living that map.

i live in one of those northside purple tracts.

at our block party at the end of august, i was part of the late night crew helping to finish off the kegs with about 10 other dads from my bock.

place of birth came up as a topic of conversation. not only was i the only one of the 10 born in chicagoland, i was the only one even born in IL.

but we did have TX, WI, MI (x2), OH, MD, CT, VT, and Poland represented.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 6, 2022 at 5:01 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 5:56 PM

Yeah - The doom/gloom thing is kinda funny.....

I went to a supply chain / logistics summit yesterday in downtown, and it was such a moral boost for anyone that likes seeing innovation in our city. Talking to various entrepreneurs about their ideas.... hearing stories of how Chicago is becoming a supply chain / quantum hub makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Funny side note - Someone had a cool name for Chicago that I think should catch on also. San Fran has Silicon Valley". If Chicago is becoming a quantum hub.... Why not call it:

Quantum City?

I liked it

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post

I went to a supply chain / logistics summit yesterday in downtown, and it was such a moral boost for anyone that likes seeing innovation in our city. Talking to various entrepreneurs about their ideas.... hearing stories of how Chicago is becoming a supply chain / quantum hub makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Funny side note - Someone had a cool name for Chicago that I think should catch on also. San Fran has Silicon Valley". If Chicago is becoming a quantum hub.... Why not call it:

Quantum City?

I liked it
Addendum:

Chicago has every reason to doom and gloom about city nicknames.

That’s been a hopeless situation since forever.

The positive ones never stick, and the insulting ones are eternal.

Thank goodness that some older American slang fell out of favor, because “Windy City” was a genuinely embarrassing nickname back then, evoking everything impolite that concerns “blowing”.

Quote:
30 December 1880, Chicago(IL) Daily Inter Ocean, pg. 4:
Our neighbors in the Queen City are accustomed to call Chicago the "City of Wind," and openly charge its citizens with doing "a large amount of blowing."
Quote:
27 October 1893, Mitchell (SD) Capital, pg. 5, col. 1:
Minneapolis Journal: The Chicago Tribune exhibits a painful sensitiveness because the name 'Windy City" attached itself to Chicago. And what troubles the Tribune is that "Windy City" will stick.
Quote:
3 January 1908, Idaho Daily Statesman (Boise, ID), pg. 2:
It was Cincinnati gave Chicago the name of the Windy City and St. Louis has nearly laughed herself to death ever since.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 8:16 PM
devout Pizzatarian

"City of Big Shoulders" is as solid a nickname as there is.

Too bad it's really just more of a local nickname and not nearly as well known in parts beyond Chicagoland.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 6, 2022 at 8:37 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 8:17 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post

Quantum City?

I liked it

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 7:04 PM

My two long cents on companies relocating out of Chicago:

First, let's back up to 2020. A high-profile (or little known) company left Oak Brook for Houston to be closer to clients. The company's name: Great Lakes Dredge and Dock Company. However, that news was barely mentioned because everyone was fixated on the Silicon Valley tech exodus.

Now fast forward to 2022.

Boeing: strategic move to be closer to customers. (Note that in June 2022, Raytheon relocated to Arlington, VA from Waltham, MA.)

Caterpillar: not in Chicago, so not worth the conversation. But, rumor has it in Peoria that the CEO and his partner wanted to live in a large metro area.

Citadel: Maybe the CEO joined the bandwagon to make a statement?

Tyson Foods: cost-savings move. This happens quite often after an acquisition. In 2014, they acquired Chicago-based Hillshire Brands. (I wonder why it took them this long to move; maybe it's the current economic climate?)

United Airlines (in late 2021): moving their mission control center from Chicago to Arlington Heights. Recall the Sears Tower power outage. That is a really bad thing if it lasts longer than 10 hours. This article describes the mission control center, which is pretty cool: https://www.forbes.com/sites/airchiv...h=5865b0e1278f

Unfortunately, 2022 will gone down in the media playbook as the corporate exodus from Chicago. Although Kellogg's is moving their headquarters to Chicago, and Abbott Labs is moving hundreds of employees to Sears Tower, this will be overshadowed by the "Chicago corporate exodus" fixation. (Note: Marothisu lists the other companies that have moved to Chicago as well.)

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 8:30 PM
BANNED

Honestly we can defend this all we want, but the only thing that will change the media narrative of a corporate chicago exodus is multiple big name companies relocating here.

Kelloggs is a good one but it was watered down by the fact that only one of its sectors was moving to Chicago. We need a fortune 100 company from a different state to relocate their whole company here. Think CVS, American Airlines, Proctor and Gamble, Berkshire, Lowes, Dell, etc. Guys I know we think its cool that some small tech start up relocated here but in reality most dont care, we need the big names.

This was something Rahm excelled in. Yeah he wasn't perfect but he prioritized bringing businesses to Chicago. We need that energy with the current leadership. Multiple fortune 500 companies leaving simply isn't a good look.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
Honestly we can defend this all we want, but the only thing that will change the media narrative of a corporate chicago exodus is multiple big name companies relocating here.

Kelloggs is a good one but it was watered down by the fact that only one of its sectors was moving to Chicago. We need a fortune 100 company from a different state to relocate their whole company here. Think CVS, American Airlines, Proctor and Gamble, Berkshire, Lowes, Dell, etc. Guys I know we think its cool that some small tech start up relocated here but in reality most dont care, we need the big names.

This was something Rahm excelled in. Yeah he wasn't perfect but he prioritized bringing businesses to Chicago. We need that energy with the current leadership. Multiple fortune 500 companies leaving simply isn't a good look.
Yes, it sucks and it's symbolic but also remember (as you allude to) that Chicago actually got numerous large companies to relocate in the last decade plus such as ADM ($85B+ company, relocated to Chicago in 2013) and ConAgra ($11B+ company, relocated in 2015 to Chicago). I'd prefer Boeing wouldn't move their symbolic HQ but from a business standpoint unfortunately it makes sense (737 MAX issues and they are trying to expand way more to military/government). Cat was never in the city and it was only in the Chicago area for about 5 or less years.

Citadel hurts, but they aren't actually closing up their Chicago office contrary to stupid, popular belief. Same as Boeing. Not sure about Cat - they might actually move most of their jobs. The only company legitimately just closing up shop (who isn't even HQ'd here) is Tyson who is also moving as many people from South Dakota to Arkansas as they are from Chicago/Downers Grove. The fact that people think that when a company moves their HQ it automatically means that they're closing up shop in the origin city shows a disconnect in peoples' understanding of modern HQ.

The unit that Kellogg is moving to Chicago for HQ does more revenue per year than Citadel for the record, and again Citadel is not actually closing up shop in Chicago. The only location actively recruiting for more jobs right now than Chicago for Citadel is NYC.

I agree it would be NICE to get another Fortune 100 HQ but this is just not the end all be all of literally anything. Chicago has the 2nd most F500 HQ of any metro area in the US. Areas like Los Angeles and Boston lag WAY behind Chicago and even areas like Minneapolis in terms F500 HQ, but nobody questions their business and economic prowess. Only someone who thinks that this is the only thing that matters would question it - and a person like that shouldn't be listened to when it comes to economic/business development if that's their main indicator of economic status.

Now let's talk about something like GDP for the entire state. The increase of the entire US from Q2 2020 to Q2 2022 was 14.48%. Illinois sits at 14.85% so it's doing slightly above the US average. Could be better, and could be worse. Actually, Illinois ranked 18th highest increase for GDP in this period of time even above states like California, Arizona, Washington, TEXAS, etc. Of course, there was a dip because of COVID in some of the states, so Illinois doesn't do as well from 2019 to 2022 because of it. However, given the rate of change recently of the GDP, it should look better in a few quarters. Here is Q2 2022 vs. Q2 2020 by state for GDP

Another interesting thing to look at is business income taxes collected for the state. I believe business income tax rose in mid 2017 in Illinois, but if we look at a little bit say July + August so far, adjusted to August 2022 dollars for inflation, we have this:

2022: $369.1M
2021: $297.8M
2020: $90.1M
2019: $266.6M
2018: $308.5M
2017: $220.8M

Since the business income taxes are presumably the same between these periods 2018 and 2022 for example, you can see even then there's a nearly 20% increase in taxes collected at the same rates between July and August 2022 vs. same months for 2018. This is adjusted for inflation to August 2022 again.

It's never a good idea to be complacent but the sky is not falling in the city/area/state as much as some people like to believe right now. Even with those companies moving HQ, there is some fairly decent momentum right now.

Last edited by marothisu; Oct 8, 2022 at 11:24 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Yes, it sucks and it's symbolic but also remember (as you allude to) that Chicago actually got numerous large companies to relocate in the last decade plus such as ADM ($85B+ company, relocated to Chicago in 2013) and ConAgra ($11B+ company, relocated in 2015 to Chicago). I'd prefer Boeing wouldn't move their symbolic HQ but from a business standpoint unfortunately it makes sense (737 MAX issues and they are trying to expand way more to military/government). Cat was never in the city and it was only in the Chicago area for about 5 or less years.

Citadel hurts, but they aren't actually closing up their Chicago office contrary to stupid, popular belief. Same as Boeing. Not sure about Cat - they might actually move most of their jobs. The only company legitimately just closing up shop (who isn't even HQ'd here) is Tyson who is also moving as many people from South Dakota to Arkansas as they are from Chicago/Downers Grove. The fact that people think that when a company moves their HQ it automatically means that they're closing up shop in the origin city shows a disconnect in peoples' understanding of modern HQ.

The unit that Kellogg is moving to Chicago for HQ does more revenue per year than Citadel for the record, and again Citadel is not actually closing up shop in Chicago. The only location actively recruiting for more jobs right now than Chicago for Citadel is NYC.

I agree it would be NICE to get another Fortune 100 HQ but this is just not the end all be all of literally anything. Chicago has the 2nd most F500 HQ of any metro area in the US. Areas like Los Angeles and Boston lag WAY behind Chicago and even areas like Minneapolis in terms F500 HQ, but nobody questions their business and economic prowess. Only someone who thinks that this is the only thing that matters would question it - and a person like that shouldn't be listened to when it comes to economic/business development if that's their main indicator of economic status.

Now let's talk about something like GDP for the entire state. The increase of the entire US from Q2 2020 to Q2 2022 was 14.48%. Illinois sits at 14.85% so it's doing slightly above the US average. Could be better, and could be worse. Actually, Illinois ranked 18th highest increase for GDP in this period of time even above states like California, Arizona, Washington, TEXAS, etc. Of course, there was a dip because of COVID in some of the states, so Illinois doesn't do as well from 2019 to 2022 because of it. However, given the rate of change recently of the GDP, it should look better in a few quarters. Here is Q2 2022 vs. Q2 2020 by state for GDP

Another interesting thing to look at is business income taxes collected for the state. I believe business income tax rose in mid 2017 in Illinois, but if we look at a little bit say July + August so far, adjusted to August 2022 dollars for inflation, we have this:

2022: $369.1M
2021: $297.8M
2020: $90.1M
2019: $266.6M
2018: $308.5M
2017: $220.8M

Since the business income taxes are presumably the same between these periods 2018 and 2022 for example, you can see even then there's a nearly 20% increase in taxes collected at the same rates between July and August 2022 vs. same months for 2018. This is adjusted for inflation to August 2022 again.

It's never a good idea to be complacent but the sky is not falling in the city/area/state as much as some people like to believe right now. Even with those companies moving HQ, there is some fairly decent momentum right now.
Thank you. I've always found it comical when certain social media personalities claim Chicago is dying or "becoming the next Detroit" when in reality (despite Covid and crime concerns) the city remains a diverse economic powerhouse.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJilliams View Post
Thank you. I've always found it comical when certain social media personalities claim Chicago is dying or "becoming the next Detroit" when in reality (despite Covid and crime concerns) the city remains a diverse economic powerhouse.
It's weird that there's a whole market for it. Like people who moved away who have to justify they moved away and they just spend that much time reading articles/listening to things based on it.

By the way, here's fiscal years for Illinois business income taxes collected, adjusted to August 2022 Chicago MSA dollars

2018: $5.55B
2019: $6.35B
2020: $5.59B
2021: $8.69B
2022: $14.95B

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 11:09 AM

Quote:
It's weird that there's a whole market for it. Like people who moved away who have to justify they moved away and they just spend that much time reading articles/listening to things based on it.

By the way, here's fiscal years for Illinois business income taxes collected, adjusted to August 2022 Chicago MSA dollars

2018: $5.55B
2019: $6.35B
2020: $5.59B
2021: $8.69B
2022: $14.95B
I wonder is there any other city that has media that sensationalizes issue and appeals to bitter defectors.

I also think the motive behind the "next Detroit" is to make the Midwest into a backwater region. If Chicago collapses, investors get the relief of not having to invest in the region.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest